The icon of SEQ downhilling closed

drivebytrucker

Likes Dirt
sad sad sad day indeed. what i dont get though is, how can the locals complain and be listend too? what i mean is when we are on the track we are a long way from the residences and hurting only ourselves, traffic, on a public highway what a rediculouse concept?

i can uderstand the other issues talked about, but even the EPA guys should acknowledge that the track is well established and has been for a long time and the damage has allready been done, its not like it gets dug out differently each week.

are the abseillers still gonna be allowed in there? one to watch closely.

my two cents.

oh and rangers cant confiscate bikes.
A; they only just applied for the powers and it takes a long tiome to get it passed
B; they aint fast enough or big enough.

iridedh

Likes Dirt
sad sad sad day indeed. what i dont get though is, how can the locals complain and be listend too? what i mean is when we are on the track we are a long way from the residences and hurting only ourselves, traffic, on a public highway what a rediculouse concept?

i can uderstand the other issues talked about, but even the EPA guys should acknowledge that the track is well established and has been for a long time and the damage has allready been done, its not like it gets dug out differently each week.

are the abseillers still gonna be allowed in there? one to watch closely.

my two cents.

oh and rangers cant confiscate bikes.
A; they only just applied for the powers and it takes a long tiome to get it passed
B; they aint fast enough or big enough.
hahha i loved it, especially option B!!!!

I reckon the locals should also put a complain for the ferrari boys and other super fast cars, and motorbikes, that go there on sunday for a cruise!!! i cant see them closing the roads!!!
problem is we are still not seen as a sport!!! than when they see sam hill on the news they get all happy about the aussie who won the wc, where does he train!!!!

my 2 cents are, i dont think im doing nothing wrong, by doing the sport that i love, now if the old farts wants to winge about it!, let them winge, but i tell you what, should i complain about the sunday session with the bongos in burleigh because most of them are from tamborine, if we not welcome there, should they not be welcome here!!!
lol

Kingswood

Likes Dirt

From what I am understanding, it's not what happens on the track that is upsetting locals, so the track is not the issue.

The issue is with people riding along the top road on their way to the track, and riding up the banks that the locals have replanted and making their street look bad. Taking shits behind historical displays, probably the odd bit of "hoon" behavior in the shuttle cars etc.

As someone said earlier, it wasn't the track that was the problem, it was the users.

my 2 cents are, i dont think im doing nothing wrong
Double negative, so you do actually think you are doing something wrong? (jokes)

Last edited:

iridedh

Likes Dirt
Double negative, so you do actually think you are doing something wrong?
hahhaha i get it now!!!! stupid me!!!!

i dont drive like a idiot, and i take shit in toilets, im a single father of 2 kids! not a moron.
what i tried to say was that im just doing the sport the i love!!!! nothing wrong with that.
BUt yes i understand their winges, but to target all mtb riders is a bit shit!!!

dcrofty

Eats Squid
thing is, i dont drive like a idiot, and i take shit in toilets, im a single father of 2 kids! not a moron.
Yeah but the locals don't just see your behaviour they see all the behaviour that happens there and its obviously been enough for them to crack the shits about it.

Don't take it personally, they aren't targeting you especially.

.:ROBBO:.

Likes Dirt
I posted this in the Local QLD section in reply to this. Thought I should also cross post it here. RIP Dump Run. Maybe when I become president of the universe I will re-open it for all :p

Will be interesting to see how this effects other tracks in SEQ. There were a lot of riders that called this their local (me included) and we are all going to need to find another track now putting a lot more pressure on other SEQ tracks. Lets hope the bad eggs will learn something from this and not fuck it up for other tracks.

I can see the local residents point of view. I have been up there when there have been up to 15 shuttle rigs running up and down the mountain. Average of 4 riders on each rig with most crews putting down 10 runs each in a day. Thats a metric shitload of shuttle rigs turning around on the dump road right out front of peoples houses. Most are being dropped off right at the top where the old fireplace is as its a quicker shuttle turn around from there and gives you a good run into the start of the track. Prob is this road is very narrow and its not uncommon for close calls with on comming usually local vehicles(I was involved in one recently which saw a mate break his wrist) Then you had the riders that thought it was cool to ride the regeneration embankments along side the road. Were you blind? Did you think the little flags placed along these were supporters flags?? And at the other end you had the guys that would pump it after the last hip jump flat out all the way to the edge of the road suddenly stopping just as they come into view of another startled local or tourest driving up or down the mountain. (I had been guilty of this in the past myself But had curbed my ways on this in recent times)

I would just like to thank all the guys that busted their balls digging this track especially the recent guys that put so much hard work into the latest lines. You all did a fantastic job and it really is a shame to see all that work gone to waste.

But this track was allways destined to be closed down. It was allways illegal we all knew it but it was just to good to ignore. It may well have just been its time and had nothing to do with the bad eggs riding it. Lets all just try and learn from this and maybe next time give some concideration to the locals in the area. I think keeping the locals happy is the key to keeping a low profile on DH tracks.

Here is a vid of one of my runs from about 5 months ago-

[video=vimeo;11201327]http://vimeo.com/11201327[/video]

Kingswood

Likes Dirt
i dont drive like a idiot, and i take shit in toilets, im a single father of 2 kids! not a moron.
what i tried to say was that im just doing the sport the i love!!!! nothing wrong with that.
BUt yes i understand their winges, but to target all mtb riders is a bit shit!!!
Yeah man it's unfortunate, happens in all walks of life, look at football players.

How they pined that on a rider is beyond me. Its not like we are the only group that use that area.
I would think that if a local was unhappy with MTB'ers, and they saw so many MTB'ers dropping off near the fireplace (the numbers you quote are pretty high, higher than walkers or any other group of people), then it would be an easy connection to make.

There is every possibility it wasn't a MTB'er, but the locals have already seen instances of disrepect (e.g. replanting along the bank), so they would be eager to make the connection and enhance their case.

Even me as a MTB'er would be 99.9% sure it was one of us. I have seen at least 4 people take shits in the bush at the drop off at old tambo. One guy I stumbled upon was taking a shit next to a tree in the middle of the turning circle FFS.
A sausage roll and a can of Monster on the way to a day of riding will need to push something out.

Doggy

Inconceivable!
I like to think Im slightly smoother then gang rape in that video but the footage proves otherwise and I'd like to put my broken wrist down to my own stupidity....not the car coming:eek:

Last edited:

PirateKing

Likes Dirt
This might be a strange idea, but I'm going to put it out there anyway..

Is there any chance we can get a group together and go to the local council and propose it get reopened for a few months till Mt Joyce opens and then let them close it again? I don't know about everyone here, but I would quite happily volunteer to do a couple days work for the council doing clean up australia type work around the town, or any kind of labouring they need volunteers for around the place in return for being able to use the track for a few more months until we have a new facility that is close.

I'm sure even if we got 20 people if those 20 people put in two days each doing work for them, there's a lot we could get done, and I know a lot more than 20 people ride that track and would like to ride it again.

Or am I just young, naive, and optimistic? :confused:

DVS969

Likes Dirt
Sorry if i sound totally ignorant here, but what is opening up at Mt Joyce, This is the first i have seen or heard anything about it, Is this the Mt Joyce out near Beaudesert???

dog boy

Likes Dirt
Petition? (probaly not spelt right at all) I havent actialy ridden dump run but I was hoping too soon. Surly if we put in a good argument and get a majority ofcurrent QLD members on here reopening it would be justified. Maybe the counsil should put a toilet up there. :p

drivebytrucker

Likes Dirt
i too cant wait till mt joyce opens, but it isnt exactly local for a lot of people. its hard enough for some of the marrieds with kids to convince the enemy that 3 hrs on a sunday isnt too much time, but when its a 2hr ish drive to start with, then its awkward. not that i,m complaining about where it is i'm stoked wre getting a park and i will be at least a monthly visitor( and then probably divorced)

if anybody does know who to contact to start putting our case forward to be allowed to use dump run they can PM me and i will try and start something. a 20 min drive apposed to a 2hr makes DBT a happy boy.

harveyp

Likes Dirt
i too cant wait till mt joyce opens, but it isnt exactly local for a lot of people. its hard enough for some of the marrieds with kids to convince the enemy that 3 hrs on a sunday isnt too much time, but when its a 2hr ish drive to start with, then its awkward. not that i,m complaining about where it is i'm stoked wre getting a park and i will be at least a monthly visitor( and then probably divorced)

if anybody does know who to contact to start putting our case forward to be allowed to use dump run they can PM me and i will try and start something. a 20 min drive apposed to a 2hr makes DBT a happy boy.
Mate, I would start with the Qld State Forestry Department (Head Ranger) because I believe the actual land belongs to them? You could also enlist the support of your local MP but from experience you will probably get fobbed off!