The HiFi thread

paulb

Likes Dirt
Recent Macs can deliver more power through USB than is standard. (Very useful for charging iPads). This might be why it works on your girlfriend's mac.

jayjay3032

Likes Bikes
What type of laptop do you have? that interface is powered by the usb port and cheap laptops are notorious for having under powered usb ports. you can get usb y leads that will take power from 2 usb ports to compensate, I'd give that a shot.

Also to trouble shoot it properly, unplug the interface from the computer and see if the speakers are still noisy.

Rider

Likes Dirt
Got all this a few months ago after using 2.1 computer speakers for the last few years.

Rotel RA-1520 amp
Kef Q300 speakers
Sony USB turntable (which will probably be replaced soon with something better)
Sonos system connected to amp and a portable Play 3.

Mostly play .flac using sonos, but the turntable gets a go regularly too. I thought about getting a CD player, but with the sonos bits I decided that it wouldn't be worth it. .flac files live on a NAS so don't need to have the PC on to play and can all be controlled from my phone.

Might be looking into a sub in the future too.

MasterOfReality

After forever
Picking up on Saturday:

Paradigm MilleniaOne 5.0 speaker pack
Cambridge Audio Azur 551r receiver
Cambridge Audio Azur 651BD Bluray player

Have a 10" Wharfedale sub so see how that goes with the new setup.

Matt H

Eats Squid
Not audiophile standard by any means, but my new speakers arrived tonight and I'm pretty happy with them (especially on a student budget)

Audioengine P4's running through an old early-80s hitachi receiver. Further down the line I might get a modern amp and a sub, but I'm more than happy with them for now.

Good riddance to the logitech 2.1s...

LJohn

Likes Dirt
You made a good choice.

I'm currently delving into headphones. I'm starting at the lower end of the audiophile spectrum, but you have to start somewhere.

Audio Technica AD700s and one of the many half decent amp/DAC combos going around. Also a portable amp and a pair of Brainwavs M4s. I've never heard a truly good sounding set of IEMs so now I have a benchmark to work from. Looking at a set of AKG K242s or 550s next. Or beyerdynamic..... Or Grado..........

Likes Dirt
Not audiophile standard by any means, but my new speakers arrived tonight and I'm pretty happy with them (especially on a student budget)

Audioengine P4's running through an old early-80s hitachi receiver. Further down the line I might get a modern amp and a sub, but I'm more than happy with them for now.

Good riddance to the logitech 2.1s...
Nice! I have the A5's and I'm very happy with them. Thinking about getting a matching audioengine sub as well. (I also upgraded from logitech 2.1s haha)

Winno

Likes Dirt
I'll play...

I have four systems;

Home hifi
Sony CDP-XA5ES fixed laser cd player with DIY Burson op-amp upgrades
Bewitch KT88 integrated valve amp with Electro Harmonix, Golden Dragon and Tesla tubes rolled
Aurum Cantus Leisure II speakers with custom hard wired passive cross overs and custom ribbon tweeter diaphrams , and all screw mounted to 40kg welded steel stands
Kimber Kable rca's and speaker cables
This system gives me goosebumps.

Home theatre
Dell 580 PC for dvd and Apple lossless playback connected to amp and tv via HDMI
Sony Bravia LCD tv
Denon's cheapest 5.1 channel receiver - yes, I really want to change this to a Sony ES or a Marantz
Canton satelite/sub speaker system - the one with the alloy enclosures and two way satelites
Impressively good, especially since it cost relatively little < $3000

The car
Clarion HX-D2 24bit cd pre-amp head unit
Phoenix Gold Titanium amps (x2) for active front stage
Alpine PDX4.150 amp for rear fill and sub
Audible Physics XR3M magnesium 3" super wide band drivers (20kHz down to 250Hz) in the A pillars
Seas Prestige 6" alloy drivers in sound deadened doors
Infinity Perfect 10VQ magnesium cone sub
Monster XLN Pro cables
A whole lotta custom work so far and some serious tuning to get it sounding just right once it's completed.

Personal
iPhone 4 playing back low compression files through VSonic canal phones - set to flat!

I think that just about does it.
Yes, music has been a BIG part of my life since I can remember.

Last edited:

Zam

Likes Dirt
Main system is a Harmon Kardon AVR355 amp with Whatmough speakers and subbie, this system really cranks some serious sound and power

Greeny_SA

Likes Dirt
Audio side is the main side I've wasted too much money on.

Amp:

Anthem MRX 500

http://www.anthemav.com/products/anthem/a-v-receiver/mrx-500

Amazing piece of kit with ARC room correction, brilliant.

Speakers:

Left and Right

Vaf DC-X G4MKII

http://vaf.com.au/detail.asp?audio=dc&grunt=s200r26724

Center Channel

Vaf DC-X G4MKIIcc

http://vaf.com.au/detail.asp?audio=dc&grunt=s200r26740

Surrounds

DB Dynamics Centerpoint

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a275/Tabris_/Room/DSCN2255.jpg ancient pic since I can't find any info on them on the net anymore.

Rear

DB Dynamics Centerpoint

Sub x 2 Left and Right

Vaf MPB SW4

http://vaf.com.au/detail.asp?audio=MPB+Powered+Subwoofer&grunt=s200r26742

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a275/Tabris_/Room/IMG_0919.jpg

Slightly tempted to get Vaf DC-7 G4MKII http://vaf.com.au/detail.asp?audio=dc&grunt=s200r26725 for surrounds, but, probably just a waste of money.

Sources:

PC running 3 screens
PS3
Xbox 360
Sony 5 disk region free DVD player

Almost 1700 DVDs and Blu-rays, and the computer is a 9TB server full of shows, music, movies etc. (BTW, if anyone wants a portable HDD filled up with TV shows, movies etc, gimme a yell.)

Only thing missing is a projector and screen, but this set up is in a bedroom........ so kinda tight on room as it is.

Matt H

Eats Squid
Any options for a turntable $<250? Amp and everything is sorted, I basically want something with decent playback without dropping audiophile dollars. Should I buy something second hand for super cheap and upgrade the tone arm and cartridges? I really have no idea about turntables, except that I'd get 2x sl1200s if I could afford to.

LJohn

Likes Dirt
I honestly have no idea about turntables, but a friend got a pair of Audio Technica LP-120 decks. I have to say, I was quite impressed.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I'll play...

Home hifi
Sony CDP-XA5ES fixed laser cd player with DIY Burson op-amp upgrades
Bewitch KT88 integrated valve amp with Electro Harmonix, Golden Dragon and Tesla tubes rolled
Aurum Cantus Leisure II speakers with custom hard wired passive cross overs and custom ribbon tweeter diaphrams , and all screw mounted to 40kg welded steel stands
Kimber Kable rca's and speaker cables
This system gives me goosebumps.
G'day Winno - my setup is as follows;

Home hifi
Sony CDP-XA3ES CD player
Rotel RC-1070 pre-amp
Rotel RB-1070 power-amp
Bowers & Wilkins DM602S3 speakers on custom wood/steel stands
QED Qunex & Supra Ronda cables

Very interested in the op-amp mod. Do you feel that we should perhaps be looking at an off-board DAC upgrade instead?

markb84

Likes Dirt
Any options for a turntable $<250? Amp and everything is sorted, I basically want something with decent playback without dropping audiophile dollars. Should I buy something second hand for super cheap and upgrade the tone arm and cartridges? I really have no idea about turntables, except that I'd get 2x sl1200s if I could afford to.
Look second hand for that money. The most basic turntable I've come across that's decent is the project and that's about $350 new.

If you can pick up a second hand Rega they last for ages and all parts are serviceable. Start off with a basic cartridge and upgrade later. Also look into the quality of the phono stage in your amp, most nowadays are an afterthought and don't offer quality. Buying a dedicated phono stage later can offer further improvements if you want to.

markb84

Likes Dirt
Kind of excited to find a hifi thread; worked in a hifi shop for 3 years and then a further 5 years working in multi room and home cinema. Not often these days I get to geek it up without people yawning!

System now is more movie centric but the audio quality is fantastic.

Amp: onkyo TX-NR709
DVD: Pioneer DV989Ai (in my opinion the best DVD player they ever made) the burr brown DACs provide awesome analogue quality as well)
Stereo LR speakers: genelec HT205 (the mutts nuts!)
Surround speakers: Boston satellites (running height channels at front, centre and 2 rears)
Sub: Boston Acoustic
Digital Source: Apple TV 1080p
TV: Panasonic 42" Plasma

Chalkie

Likes Dirt
As a total vinly newbie I'm looking for a bit of help on my first TT purchase.

Recently picked up a Realistic Lab-420 for a good price. Came with a Realistic R1000ED cartidge and am using it with a Rega Fono Mini A2D preamp into powered speakers.

Everything appears to be running well, auto return mech etc all working well. Now I've set up the tracking force to 1.5g, set up the anti-skate according to the manual, threw a vinyl and I got a load of distortion and crackle. I then cleaned the records thoroughly as well as cleaning the stylus with some Isopropyl Alcohol which reduced the crackle signification but still getting a lot of distortion and overall audio quality is still very poor.

What are my options in terms of troubleshooting what the problem could be? Could it be something wrong in setting up, do I need a new stylus, is it something more serious?