The Glories of the Maxle V2

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
The story begins when I scored a Rock Shox fork from a fellow 'Burner. Despite said person being of an overly careful nature (though not quite as careful perhaps as the original owner of the fork)...the original first version of the Maxle that the fork came with was not in great shape.

Any RS user would know the problem. SRAM/RS decided that the Maxle V1 would do up into a fixed thread in the fork leg by rotating the QR lever against a thin alloy flange. Over time, the effort applied to the flange to make sure the thing was done up tight enough would be sufficient to work harden and fracture the flange. You could still use the thing to a point but it looks terrible and required care to make sure it was done up tight enough. How the design lasted as long as it did is a mystery to me...

My new Maxle arrived today...in all its version 2 glory. Despite being a tad fiddly in the first instance to set up (one has to get the lever in the right position in the Maxle core to get the lever to close in the right position against the fork) it functions so much easier than the first version. In fact it is as just as neat as the Fox thru-axle.

Glory Be for the second attempt. One only has to wonder why it was required...

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
I've had a couple, the very first super heavy unit and the Maxle lite and neither were a problem but my I replaced a rear one because it would just flip undone for no reason, it didn't seem to go over centre so it was replaced with a bolt. I currently have a Syntace 20mm axle and I like it but the lever sits too close to the fork leg which makes it hard to tighten and loosen.

teK--

Eats Squid
God the first version was a crap design. Feel sorry for people who had to take wheel off regularly to put bike in car.

trickbooter

Likes Dirt
I never had an issue with the first one. It was the split in the axle that ensure a tight fit. Never needed to crank the lever against the flange. Just tighten up finger tight then snap the cam closed. I used to car mine all the time. Either way, totally agree, v2 is great.

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
I think the Novatec one fits Rockshox forks and they look pretty decent too, they are also stupidly cheap compared to a Maxle.

stepan

Cannon Fodder
Just noticed that the spring on my Maxle that came with 2015 Pike has some rust on it. This is after 5 months of use, OK, I guess I should have re-greased it or something, but I just expected it to be pretty rust proof... well it's not... even-though the spring is painted black...