The gaming thread

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
This doesn't need its own thread so thought here might do
Can anyone see anything missing or wrong with this build - been out of it a while and haven't researched a lot - Gaming / Video Editing / Office Work - I originally had a DDR5 board and ram and but they put the price up $600 and dint want to spend that extra as I am not sure I would really feel the increase

View attachment 393310
Not sure the psu has enough power. The Intel CPUs are power hungry.

You met get a better deal on Amazon with ram as well. The Patriot ram seems to be particularly well priced.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Minlak

custom titis
Not sure the psu has enough power. The Intel CPUs are power hungry.

You met get a better deal on Amazon with ram as well. The Patriot ram seems to be particularly well priced.

250 and 240 wats for cpu and vid card so 490 and the psu is an Rm so real power of 750 not peak - Would have preferred a Silverstone but not in stock at the same place - I want to get it all at one store as Accountant would like me to have the actual words 'Computer System" on the invoice - I will haggle a little bit as well since buying whole computer in same shop I used t shop at a bit.

Oddjob

250 and 240 wats for cpu and vid card so 490 and the psu is an Rm so real power of 750 not peak - Would have preferred a Silverstone but not in stock at the same place - I want to get it all at one store as Accountant would like me to have the actual words 'Computer System" on the invoice - I will haggle a little bit as well since buying whole computer in same shop I used t shop at a bit.
I've got the same PSU and a 3080 and it's barely enough with a Ryzen 5800x. If you decide to watercool later you will probably run into problems.

There's a pcie 5/ATX3 Gigabyte PSU doing the rounds which would future proof you a little bit.
Gigabyte Aorus UD1000GM PG5 1000W Power Supply

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
Shouldn't cost you that much more to bump the HDD to 4TB. How much video editing are you doing? If it's any serious amount you'll need double the RAM and at least double the SSD. You want to fit the entirety of your media and any cache files on fast storage.

AMD was kicking Intel's butt performance and power wise when I upgraded a year or so ago, not sure if that's still the case.

Cleverly

Likes Bikes
This doesn't need its own thread so thought here might do
Can anyone see anything missing or wrong with this build - been out of it a while and haven't researched a lot - Gaming / Video Editing / Office Work - I originally had a DDR5 board and ram and but they put the price up $600 and dint want to spend that extra as I am not sure I would really feel the increase

View attachment 393310
Think that'll run Age of Empires II Definitive Edition?

Minlak

custom titis
Shouldn't cost you that much more to bump the HDD to 4TB. How much video editing are you doing? If it's any serious amount you'll need double the RAM and at least double the SSD. You want to fit the entirety of your media and any cache files on fast storage.

AMD was kicking Intel's butt performance and power wise when I upgraded a year or so ago, not sure if that's still the case.
Already have a 500gb ssd I will transfer over - and haven’t filled my current 2 TB so will add that to the build with the new 2 tb - don’t do enough editing currently to need that much more space I tend to play 1 game finish it then uninstall for next game.

Ended up with a different case / no rgb / 32gb ram / 850watt strider psu ( they are rated for 100% load not peak load

Minlak

custom titis
I am just sick of murdered out black - so probably went white just for that - A lot of the white fans and stuff apparently go yellow as they age too

Thanks all and for those playing along at home I ended up with

Fractal Design R7 case (comes with a free hernia) - Ended up feeling rushed and needed it to fit the cooler so bigger case than needed.
Siverstone Strider Platinum 850W PSU
Noctua NH-D-15-CH-BK Chroma Black cooler
Samsung 1TB Pro SSD (M.2 NVME) (Have another 500GB I will probably put in)
32GB of Trident Z (2X16GB 3200) ram
Asus S1700 Prime P board
Intel I7-12700K
2TB Seagate Drive (have another 2 tb here I will be putting in)
Asus RTX 3080 video card

Minlak

custom titis
If you do this again in the future, I can highly reccomend NZXT cases. They are a pleasure to build in.
My main requirement for any case if air filtration - I want screens in front of fans that intake air - The building process is pretty similar on most cases now - Getting cases too big for your components makes it even easier - I plan on renting out the spare space in the case given the current housing crisis.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
One thing I did wonder about - I once heard that graphics cards uses an equivalent amount of RAM to their capacity?

Like if you had a 3GB graphics card, but only 4GB of RAM it'd be like only having 1GB of system RAM... Dunno, sounded like bullshit but it stuck in my brain for some reason and I wondered if it was actually true or not?

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
One thing I did wonder about - I once heard that graphics cards uses an equivalent amount of RAM to their capacity?

Like if you had a 3GB graphics card, but only 4GB of RAM it'd be like only having 1GB of system RAM... Dunno, sounded like bullshit but it stuck in my brain for some reason and I wondered if it was actually true or not?
Sounds like BS. You can do something called GPU sharing that allows your GPU to access system ram to help graphics performance, but this is not a default state (usualy a BIOS setting) and realistically doesn't need to be done with modern GPUs (don't even know if new GPUs have this capability). It was something that wasn't uncommon back in the days of GTX 480 etc.

Also thinking perhaps the scenario you describe might relate to integrated GPU rather than dedicated GPUs. I have no idea, never had any experience with integrated graphics, but kind of makes more sense from that perspective perhaps?

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock

I don't think they would use the same amount of system RAM as they GPU has onboard now days. An integrated GPU can share the system memory and my laptop seems to do it.

I think earlier hardware that had less GPU RAM overall did use a portion of system memory as a framebuffer as one technique for it to appear that it has access to more RAM than it has actually has onboard. The display images were shuffled from system memory to the GPU memory or a portion of the system memory was reserved and mapped for the GPU to use exclusively. Might be something along these lines, maybe?

Oddjob

RTX4090 is on retail shelves. Prices start at $3.3k. Water cooled models start at $4.3k. Also need to add new PSU to support new power requirements; currently only the Gigabyte Aorus 1000w supports new ATX3 standard.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
RTX4090 is on retail shelves. Prices start at $3.3k. Water cooled models start at $4.3k. Also need to add new PSU to support new power requirements; currently only the Gigabyte Aorus 1000w supports new ATX3 standard.
got a mail yesterday about a new samsung gaming monitor for 4500. and i thought bikes were going nuts

Minlak

custom titis

$2900 is cheapest around - Apparently if you look at it as $per frame its significantly cheaper than a 3090 currently - Gotta justify it somehow :)

got a mail yesterday about a new samsung gaming monitor for 4500. and i thought bikes were going nuts
Yeah I was computer shopping from Sunday and ii is super easy spend 10K now

Oddjob

$2900 is cheapest around - Apparently if you look at it as $per frame its significantly cheaper than a 3090 currently - Gotta justify it somehow :)

Yeah I was computer shopping from Sunday and ii is super easy spend 10K now
But not available at that price. Need to include cost of new PSU into that cost per frame.

Minlak

custom titis
But not available at that price. Need to include cost of new PSU into that cost per frame.

Well maybe if you already have a 1000watt cpu your good - they are capped at 600 wat draw and average around 450w full load - And people likely to rush out and buy this will already have over the top components