The gaming thread

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
went to old mate JB hifi today. AC odyssey $29 and Ghost of Tsushima $59 for PS4. That will get me through the silly season.
By the time I've finished those 2, Cyberpunk 2077 might have sorted its shit out, and be cheaper post christmas. :)

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Sad times, but kinda unsurprising when you consider how rushed the final stages of development / forced overtime for programmers etc.

Makes me wistful of the old ID Software days when a game was released "when it's ready."
It is hard to have any sympathy since it was announced in 2012 and quite a few years of dev time has passed. What the hell happened in the 8 or 9 years is anyone's guess.

Just another company chasing the almighty $$$ and shipping beta code and not really giving a damn about their customers.

Screw these guys. People are too lax on the ship now fix later culture. They deserve it to be thought in the same light as Duke Nukem 3D.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
It is hard to have any sympathy since it was announced in 2012 and quite a few years of dev time has passed. What the hell happened in the 8 or 9 years is anyone's guess.

Just another company chasing the almighty $$$ and shipping beta code and not really giving a damn about their customers.

Screw these guys. People are too lax on the ship now fix later culture. They deserve it to be thought in the same light as Duke Nukem 3D.
But duke nukem was such a great game!

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Whoops....Needs quite bit of fixing.

I can remember when BF4 and The Division came out and they had heeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaapppppppssssss of problems too. Took months to stop the worst of the bugs but they got there in the end and they turned out quite well. Hopefully they keep at it with Cyberpunk and with some DLCs the game will have a long and happy life.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I can remember when BF4 and The Division came out and they had heeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaapppppppssssss of problems too. Took months to stop the worst of the bugs but they got there in the end and they turned out quite well. Hopefully they keep at it with Cyberpunk and with some DLCs the game will have a long and happy life.
going to need a PS5 or powerful PC gaming rig if they do fix things, by the looks

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I couldn't decide between the sad and angry reactions, but its probably a combination of both.
So it will be Xmas next year and on the new gen console before I get to play it...
I have a big back catalogue and never give enough time to mow through the stuff I have now.

The mind boggles how it past any Q&A to get out of the gate. I guess marketing had the last say.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
I have a big back catalogue and never give enough time to mow through the stuff I have now.

The mind boggles how it past any Q&A to get out of the gate. I guess marketing had the last say.
I would have more respect if they had come clean and made a public disclosure that the game won't work on the current-gen consoles (It may not run ever, who knows with a rate as low as 15fps). And delay the next-gen console version until it's running similar to the PC version. I think shareholder pressure got to them, but deliberately not providing reviewers with console versions of the game is plain dishonest.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I would have more respect if they had come clean and made a public disclosure that the game won't work on the current-gen consoles (It may not run ever, who knows with a rate as low as 15fps). And delay the next-gen console version until it's running similar to the PC version. I think shareholder pressure got to them, but deliberately not providing reviewers with console versions of the game is plain dishonest.
Agreed. Surely a quick play of a current gen console version would be enough for them to figure it out. There really doesn't seem like they would need to do much more according to the reviews.

The bad PR will take some time to fade away.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
So the game was supposed to be released in 2012, but was way delayed, and now riddled with bugs and only partially works on the new gen stuff, and disastrous on the prev gen stuff?
wait those new gen stuff were not even available back then! So the fact that it is disastrous on the prev gen console, the game wasn't even anywhere near done back in 2012. Looks like this team was doing stuff right at the last minute.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I got Cyberpunk on launch, installed on PS5 and did the day one update straight away. The install process and update download was finished in under two hours. The PS5 is a darn good an' fast machine. The game has crashed three times for me and I've been playing it a shitload. The only bug I've seen was a random pack of cigarettes floated past me while I was in the dildo shop. ;)
I'm reading some seriously bad shit about the game and am so thankful I'm playing it on PS5. I have had high hopes it'll go close to my favorite game ever and so far it's a big yes, the game is amazing and I'm completely hooked on it. Really bummed for the folk getting grief with it on older machines though, that sucks. The lack of PS5's available also sucks but for me it's been nothing but smooth sailing.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
So the game was supposed to be released in 2012, but was way delayed, and now riddled with bugs and only partially works on the new gen stuff, and disastrous on the prev gen stuff?
wait those new gen stuff were not even available back then! So the fact that it is disastrous on the prev gen console, the game wasn't even anywhere near done back in 2012. Looks like this team was doing stuff right at the last minute.
It was announced in 2012 that they were going to be working on it. Not released. The first trailer came out in 2013 and it's been in development ever since. It can take upward of 5 years or more to develop A-grade titles. During that time CD projket red, which was is small Polish studio were working primarily on the witcher 3 (released 2015) which is to this date still considdered one of the best rpg games of all time. Their effort on cyberpunk would have been limited between 2012 and 2015.

Yes they were doing stuff right till the last minute. Every studio generally does. It's called crunch. Also a release just before Christmas period was necessary to be able to get some money in the door. Unfortunately those that were developing for PS4 probably dropped the ball a bit. Large parts of the development across different platforms are different. Optimising entire games' assets for different platforms is not easy and not generally worked on by the same teams. It's why there's been such a disparity between people's experiences on the platforms. PC version hasnt missed a beat for my wife, where apparently the only bug is too many dildos (legit actually confimed a bug lol).

It's what they do next to solve the problem that will characterise their approach. My guess is they will fix shit pretty fast.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Unfortunately those that were developing for PS4 probably dropped the ball a bit.
It's what they do next to solve the problem that will characterise their approach. My guess is they will fix shit pretty fast.
Yeah in hindsight trying to retrofit a game with such behemoth resource requirements to platforms that are 7-8 years old might have been a stretch too far. Issues on PS5 / PC seem to be 1/10th the crap being experienced by PS4 users. They'll turn it round though.
It took me 3 years to get a pc that could play Crysis.
So worth it though. MAXIMUM ARMOUR. One of my mates was so desperate to play Crysis as intended he spent actual money on a water cooled system.