Just finished building my new PC last night:

i5 6600k (water cooled)
16GB 3200Mhz RAM
1070 STIX OC GTX
32" 1440p screen.

Just started re-installing my games.

First cab off the rank was Star Citizen. Ran like button on "Very High"

Next; BF1...

Then slowly War Thunder, Division, Assetto Corsa, Star Wars Battlefront (The dogfights should now be EPIC).

After I settle down... time for some overclocking. I'm told my combo of processor and watercooling will allow me to get to 4.2Ghz +... even up to 4.5Ghz but that would be the limit.

I also have a month of work due to a new, small pink thing expected to join the family next week. Though not sure if I will be awake enough for that.
Years ago I built a water cooled power supply, in the pursuit of absolute silence. Back in the silverprop and danger den days

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
Years ago I built a water cooled power supply, in the pursuit of absolute silence. Back in the silverprop and danger den days

Ha! That's pretty cool. I have nowhere near the skills or the patience to attempt that.

Mine was all off-the-shelf parts. :)

Hew

Likes Dirt
time for some overclocking. I'm told my combo of processor and watercooling will allow me to get to 4.2Ghz +... even up to 4.5Ghz but that would be the limit.
Easy! I have a 4670k at 4.4GHz. No higher because I can't be bothered with more stress testing. Really made a big difference in CPU intensive games like Battlefield and GTA V.

Skylake chips are good OC'ers.

EDIT: Also like the purple a lot :)

Last edited:

Ivan

Eats Squid
BF1 doesn't seem to need much GPU or CPU. My GTX750Ti is doing fine on medium settings at 1080p.

A 1070 will own that game.

marc.r

Likes Dirt
don't forget to overclock that 1070 too!

they all seem to be good for 2000mhz and about 9000mhz on memory

Hew

Likes Dirt
BF1 doesn't seem to need much GPU or CPU. My GTX750Ti is doing fine on medium settings at 1080p.

A 1070 will own that game.
My CPU overclock from 3.5GHz to 4.4GHz made a difference of 10-15fps, which makes a big difference when it increases the minimum framerate from ~50 to ~60+. Means you don't get stuttering in big fight scenes, which obviously allows you to react better.

Depends on your obsession with 60fps I guess!

Overclocking both CPU and GPU can bring your average FPS up ~20-30fps which can be the difference between medium and ultra settings, for sure!

Or of course you could just drop $1000+ on a GSYNC monitor and forget about the whole thing!

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I started Red Dead Redemption yesty. It's one of those 10/10 games that I've always meant to play but never got around to it. Well, now I have! It's a bit clunky to control but I'll get used to it.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I should go back and replay/finish Red Dead - its one of the few games that is backwards compatible on Xbone.

New one coming out next year too...

About 40 hours into Fallout 4 and I'm getting sick of building beds and wiping out feral ghouls so I might get back to the main story now.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I started Red Dead Redemption yesty. It's one of those 10/10 games that I've always meant to play but never got around to it. Well, now I have! It's a bit clunky to control but I'll get used to it.
One my list of things-to-do. Does it live up to the rating?

I have been messing around with CoinOps gold 8 lately and it is a load of fun - very well done.

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
Easy! I have a 4670k at 4.4GHz. No higher because I can't be bothered with more stress testing. Really made a big difference in CPU intensive games like Battlefield and GTA V.

Skylake chips are good OC'ers.

EDIT: Also like the purple a lot :)
Yeah. At the moment I'm keeping it all stock as everything runs super smooth.

Ha! i just changed the purple to orange this morning. I can control the colour of all the LED lights except the one built into the MB... which is orange. My OCD kicked in...

don't forget to overclock that 1070 too!

they all seem to be good for 2000mhz and about 9000mhz on memory
I'll have to look into that when I find the a game that can't run smooth on Ultra/Max.

One thing I did stuff up; Got an Acer 32" 1440p screen... but that only does 60Hz and has some overdrive ghosting. Trying to see if Scorptex will let me return/exchange it.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
About 40 hours into Fallout 4 and I'm getting sick of building beds and wiping out feral ghouls so I might get back to the main story now.
That'll change pretty quickly, you have to repeat that process in new settlements a bit but it becomes very easy.

One my list of things-to-do. Does it live up to the rating?
I'm only a few hours in and it's still setting the story line but so far, I love the open western world experience.

So ah, I'm getting the new Nintendo Switch if it has the things they showed in the launch trailer!

[video=youtube;f5uik5fgIaI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5uik5fgIaI[/video]

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Dozer , is Red Dead Redemption only for PS3?

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
That'll change pretty quickly, you have to repeat that process in new settlements a bit but it becomes very easy.
Yeah, I've been setting up all the settlements and getting the supply networks going. Was fun for a while but now tedious.

So ah, I'm getting the new Nintendo Switch if it has the things they showed in the launch trailer!

[video=youtube;f5uik5fgIaI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5uik5fgIaI[/video]
This looks a tad cultish - almost like the first ep of the new Black Mirror series. haha!

Red Dead is on xbox360/ one too.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Really looking forward to the new one, it's one of those games that the story is just perfect and (back when it came out) the immersion into the world was just awesome. I played that game for ages, doing all the achievements and chasing weird animals across the country side.

Even my wife liked the game, wrangling wild horses and breaking them in. Go find golden, the wonder horse!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Doom was $38 at JB hifi last week, so I grabbed a copy. Loved the originals when I was around 11/12.

Its making me feel really old because its so fast and so much happening on the screen. I had to move the couch closer to see everything.

Looks amazing though, just very "busy".

Doom was $38 at JB hifi last week, so I grabbed a copy. Loved the originals when I was around 11/12.

Its making me feel really old because its so fast and so much happening on the screen. I had to move the couch closer to see everything.

Looks amazing though, just very "busy".
Same, this one I cannot play in long stints

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
So, anyone have thoughts on BF1?

Just curious as I've had it for a week, and while initially I absolutely loved it, I'm now bored of it.

Not sure why. Just the gameplay seems a lot more repetitive. And the fact all servers have the kill cam is annoying.

It just seems to be aimed at a more "simple" playing style. And the player base seems to be less strategy focused than BF4 for example. Squad leaders rarely give orders and squads rarely work as a squad.

I'm so my so over BF1 that I've gone back to Division and am quite enjoying the 1.4 patch.