The Fear...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Is that the “A-Line” drop about midway down Mt Narra? I always rolled that on the old bike but keen to hit again with new gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It isn't very a-lone anymore. The drop is gone and it is the only line. It is still fun, just not a drop. The first drop at the top still rocks.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
This video is pretty long, but sums up what happens to me with certain obstacles. Not saying I ride anything like this, but the self doubt of the filmer and the way he gets worse as it goes on. Sometimes you just have to go for it on something challenging to get your head in the right place.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
This video is pretty long, but sums up what happens to me with certain obstacles. Not saying I ride anything like this, but the self doubt of the filmer and the way he gets worse as it goes on. Sometimes you just have to go for it on something challenging to get your head in the right place.
I saw this one some time ago too, I know how that guy feels and we have all had those moments for glimpsing an ambulance ride after a spectacular off where you should have known better. After you do these chundery bits then it sure boosts your confidence.

If you over think it then it is easy to talk yourself out of it. Viewing from the top of the gnar down always seems worse than from the bottom up to me.

Someone has to stay intact and be the mother duck to phone for help too y'know :)

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I have a PNR. Point of No Return... Once I'm past that point I'm committed. I hit a downhill rock drop on a black trail I've never ridden before on the weekend. I rode up to my PNR twice to gauge it and on the third go straight past my PNR so I was in. Made the drop and by the 3rd run on the trail I was loving it. Sometimes you have to push yourself past your comfort zone. Knowing your limits of course. ;)

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
The other week I finally hit a so-so height (shoulder height?) drop that I usually avoid. It wasn't so much that it was high, its just that leading up to it was pretty blind up until the PNR. I could visualise myself doing it, and there isn't much that could go wrong if I just put in a few pedal strokes ... but the whole 'not seeing where I'm going to land' for 90% of the approach was a bit of a mind fk.
Slapped my helmet a few times and sent it. Overshot the landing by quite a bit. Great success!

DMan

The other week I finally hit a so-so height (shoulder height?) drop that I usually avoid. It wasn't so much that it was high, its just that leading up to it was pretty blind up until the PNR. I could visualise myself doing it, and there isn't much that could go wrong if I just put in a few pedal strokes ... but the whole 'not seeing where I'm going to land' for 90% of the approach was a bit of a mind fk.
Slapped my helmet a few times and sent it. Overshot the landing by quite a bit. Great success!
Now you understand that which is PNR grasshopper. Well done man!

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
@foxpuppet I am a big fan of your segment at Ourimbah on the lower DH track
Foxpuppets benchmark seg?
I did that during a specialized demo day. Due to limited time I Put each bike I rode through a varied little course I put together to see how they handled against each other with techy climbs, twisty sections, a bit of bush bashing and then that bottom section of the DH for some drops and jumps.
Rode the following:
Epic WC
Enduro 27.5
Stumpy 27.5
Stumpy 26 (my own)
Stumpy 6fattie
Rhyme (women’s stumpy)
That day all bikes were within 4 seconds of each other on the course I plotted. Fastest overall was the women’s bike. Funnest was the 6fattie. Fastest climber wasn’t the epic.
Sorry to go OT ;)

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
...Viewing from the top of the gnar down always seems worse than from the bottom up to me.
I'm of the opposite opinion. A lot of things that I ride and then I walk back up them for the first time, I'm thinking they're looking heaps harder than when I'm on the bike going down them....

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I'm of the opposite opinion. A lot of things that I ride and then I walk back up them for the first time, I'm thinking they're looking heaps harder than when I'm on the bike going down them....
Geee, I'm sure if we ever line up at the same trail we can find two good reasons to take the B-Line :)

Maybe closing our eyes is the best way.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I remember not having the fear... It was quite some time ago. These days its more about having the Nemesis. Mine is that last drop at Stromlo on Old Duffy Descent. I was scared of it for years (seeing a couple of blokes carted off in an ambulance from it didn't help...), then after about 4 years of avoiding it I hit it and nailed it. Its not so bad, just that its a landing on a slope that you cant see on takeoff.

Now I baulk at it every time again. Its in my head and not in a good way...

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I struggle with jumps with steep kickers, I'm happier on a ski jump launch but those jumps that send you skywards scare the bejesus out of me.

DMan

I struggle with jumps with steep kickers, I'm happier on a ski jump launch but those jumps that send you skywards scare the bejesus out of me.
Yep, X2 on that. I'm just not very good at transitioning in the air for the landing.