The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Haakon

Keeps on digging
What I don't get is why women, who are the majority, don't punish the fuck out of candidates at the polling booth. If women voted as a bloc, it would be a piece of piss to launch a new party and wipe the floor with the incumbents.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Its distressing and depressing how many women vote against their interests. How many people in general vote against their interests come to think of it...

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Its distressing and depressing how many women vote against their interests. How many people in general vote against their interests come to think of it...
And how many people still insist that running a Government budget is the same as a household budget. They don't get that if a Government is running a surplus it's because they're taking your money and not spending it on you.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
How many people in general vote against their interests come to think of it...
I dunno about you guys, but for one I want tax breaks for billionaires to stay... Because when I become a billionaire I don't wanna be taxed up the wazoo!

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Yeah except this isn't just a partisan LNP problem - it's evidently endemic across Parliament in every major party. Even the Victorian Greens have been identified as having "toxic cultural problems" and rampant misogyny. Labor seem better at actually recognising there is an issue but I'd say it's pretty unlikely any party is going to make election propaganda out of this. They all have too many skeletons.
sure, all the major parties have toxic cultures, the major difference is that Brittany Higgins was RAPED in an LNP minister's office... IN PARLIAMENT HOUSE, JUST BEFORE THE LAST FEDERAL ELECTION - and the evidence was obliterated and the whole thing suppressed. AND, the LNP have pissed too much fucking taxpayer money away to corporate mates, run the darling river dry, and a zillion other odious actions. Right now, the other parties have nothing on the LNP for straight up fuckery.

Last edited:

ForkinGreat

I dunno about you guys, but for one I want tax breaks for billionaires to stay... Because when I become a billionaire I don't wanna be taxed up the wazoo!
if you were a billionaire, you would have a lot of your money in off-shore tax haven countries. and your companies would be running the usual bullshit about money earned in Oz somehow belonging to other parts of the corporation elsewhere in the world.

Flow-Rider

Burner
The only Senator that can give them a good run for their money is Larissa Waters as she's fairly smart and been a long time legal advocate for women’s rights but a lot of people don't like the Greens party political views.

"Conservatives hate the rich but don't love the poor", I can't remember who originally said it but a lot of truth in it if you think about. A lot of poor people's first priority goal is to build some wealth for financial stability, if wealth was distributed more evenly amongst the world population we wouldn't have half the problems we have now.

ForkinGreat

The only Senator that can give them a good run for their money is Larissa Waters as she's fairly smart and been a long time legal advocate for women’s rights but a lot of people don't like the Greens party political views.

"Conservatives hate the rich but don't love the poor", I can't remember who originally said it but a lot of truth in it if you think about. A lot of poor people's first priority goal is to build some wealth for financial stability, if wealth was distributed more evenly amongst the world population we wouldn't have half the problems we have now.
if you give money to the poor, it goes straight back into the economy.
if you give money to the rich, it all gets squirreled away into investment/super/trusts - and doesn't boost the economy.

ForkinGreat

Just another bunch of crocodile tears from a fucking humongous bullshit artist. Fuck you #ScrotuMo
#anotherEmptyLNPpromise
#LNPgtfo

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
I hope my tax breaks comments was taken with the liberal (heh) dose of sarcasm that was intended.

if wealth was distributed more evenly amongst the world population we wouldn't have half the problems we have now.
The problem isn't that wealth is unevenly distributed though. It's that equal distributions of wealth inevitably become unequal over relatively short periods of time. And that problem is entirely what an ongoing policies of progressive taxation and social security are supposed to alleviate. Have we got the right balance between taking from the rich and giving to the poor... almost certainly not.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I hope my tax breaks comments was taken with the liberal (heh) dose of sarcasm that was intended.

The problem isn't that wealth is unevenly distributed though. It's that equal distributions of wealth inevitably become unequal over relatively short periods of time. And that problem is entirely what an ongoing policies of progressive taxation and social security are supposed to alleviate. Have we got the right balance between taking from the rich and giving to the poor... almost certainly not.
The rich have the power to change the world, nobody else that's the underlying problem. They control almost everyone, even politics, how do you stop government corruption is the next question? Look at carnts like Clive Palmer, a shitload of money but doesn't put it to good use by investing in renewables, you can still be rich and contribute to society in a good way if you choose to do so.

ForkinGreat

you're all good man. I think that a significant number of people vote LNP because the LNP are seen as aligning with their aspirations, rather than their lived reality.
Your tax breaks quip is actually on-brand for that group of people, who, as Haakon says, are actually voting for a party that does not have their interests and welfare uppermost. The majority of LNP voters will not become rich, and won't benefit from tax breaks and vast franking credit kickbacks on their investment portfolios. I cannot fathom why such people would vote for the LNP, when the behaviour and policies of the LNP make their standard of living worse than it could and should be.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Just another bunch of crocodile tears from a fucking humongous bullshit artist. Fuck you #ScrotuMo
#anotherEmptyLNPpromise
#LNPgtfo
Stolen form a mate...

Gaslighting, veiled threats, whataboutism & using another’s sexual assault for point-scoring.
Australian political leadership eloquently summed up in just one press conference!

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Stolen form a mate...

Gaslighting, veiled threats, whataboutism & using another’s sexual assault for point-scoring.
Australian political leadership eloquently summed up in just one press conference!
Might be dangerous to admit such things around these parts but up until his stoush with that journo I actually thought Scomo looked more genuine and upset (and yes could all easily be bullshit) than I've ever seen him. The smug facade was gone, he actually looked like he cared. And for the record, I have given him almost no credit for anything since he squirmed his way into the top seat.

He even admitted he'd "sought advice on Ministerial standards" regarding Porter, which is a pretty strong indication the latter might be getting jettisoned if he proves to have an anvil effect on the polls.

But then he done did fuck up and ruined it. Couldn't help himself.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

Yeah but it's no good being rich if you don't have poor people around to remind you how good it is!