The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Can't help but think that this is just sewing the seed for a slow transition into nuclear power generation...Coal is dying a fast death, we make shit tonnes of cash from exporting all our LNG and re-newables are just not what they are cracked up to be....once the public get used to the idea that nuclear is the next logical step, and that just about every major developed country in the world has Nuclear technology in some form, I can see ScroteMo pushing for us to play with the big kids in the playground.
Yeah but...serious question: isn't water (and lots and lots of it) a key ingredient for reactors?

Spose you could build a desal plant too and create a mutually cooperative dynamic between them...

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Can't help but think that this is just sewing the seed for a slow transition into nuclear power generation...Coal is dying a fast death, we make shit tonnes of cash from exporting all our LNG and re-newables are just not what they are cracked up to be....once the public get used to the idea that nuclear is the next logical step, and that just about every major developed country in the world has Nuclear technology in some form, I can see ScroteMo pushing for us to play with the big kids in the playground.
I agree and I think we should pursue nuclear technology (amongst others). Much like what we’ve recently learned with vaccines it’s daft to throw all your chips behind just one horse on the table.

We’ve probably missed the boat as far as current fission technology goes but that’s not a bad thing. There’s that sticky issue with waste and expense and whatnot, but we need to be actively researching better, safer more efficient practices and alternative nuclear fuels like Thorium or chasing the holy grail itself - nuclear fusion.

With no nuclear infrastructure other than a tiny plant at Lucas Heights and CUB’s Abbotsford Brewery, we’ve got no chance of doing either right now which is a shame as Australia is probably the best suited continent on the planet for nuclear infrastructure.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Yeah but...serious question: isn't water (and lots and lots of it) a key ingredient for reactors?

Spose you could build a desal plant too and create a mutually cooperative dynamic between them...
shitload of waste energy in the form of heat to get rid of, perfect for Desal
With no nuclear infrastructure other than a tiny plant at Lucas Heights and CUB’s Abbotsford Brewery, we’ve got no chance of doing either right now which is a shame as Australia is probably the best suited continent on the planet for nuclear infrastructure.
we have a shit load of ore in the ground too...
I'm sure we could increase the size of CUB to allow more processing of toxic waste too.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches

Water certainly is but I’m not sure the extent required.
Other arid and semi-arid countries like Israel, Iran, Pakistan and India manage to run nuclear programs (albeit with the intention of building bombs) and nuclear subs themselves -where storage space is at an absolute premium- manage to stay submerged at sea for months at a time constrained only by food supply.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
shitload of waste energy in the form of heat to get rid of, perfect for Desal

we have a shit load of ore in the ground too…
I'm sure we could increase the size of CUB to allow more processing of toxic waste too.
Like I said I think we may have missed the boat both for 20th Century era uranium fission and for the output of CUB - craft beer’s all the rage these days!

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
One (hyphenated) word - by-election.

If Porter resigns from parliament then there will be a by-election and that is the last thing they want. Particularly after the state election wipe out for the libs.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
He'll probably be back anyway. Mackenzie should've been DOA after her rorting, and as for fucken Barn, but look at em both now.

This is a way for Porter to step back "honourably" (for now) and get back on the front bench in a new cabinet after the next election.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
He'll probably be back anyway. Mackenzie should've been DOA after her rorting, and as for fucken Barn, but look at em both now.

This is a way for Porter to step back "honourably" (for now) and get back on the front bench in a new cabinet after the next election.
The LNP have mastered the art of simply riding out the public's very short attention span.