The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Wow that is close, I saw it was 8,0,0 early on and expected the land to slide into the Tasman sea. Interesting.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wow that is close, I saw it was 8,0,0 early on and expected the land to slide into the Tasman sea. Interesting.
How close was the polling. I am in NSW and got 2 calls about this election. I decided to play along and responded as a old male lefty on one and a female conservative on the other. I hope I made a difference ha ha

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
How close was the polling. I am in NSW and got 2 calls about this election. I decided to play along and responded as a old male lefty on one and a female conservative on the other. I hope I made a difference ha ha
No idea, only heard it was happening yesterday.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Meh, it's France, they're always 12 minutes away from a solid riot. The scars of occupation, colonialism and the 1968 conflagration run deep (as the article suggests). If Le Pen forms a legitimate threat again all the other parties will just form a coalition against her again like in the last election.

The German example is more interesting as it points to a dearth of identity imo. Arguably, they're so (justifiably) mortified by their past actions that they're reluctant to demonstrate what their "identity" actually is, so instead there's a constant schism between left and right, urban and rural, Berlin and the south (etc. etc. etc.)

Also, they're resettled something near 1 million Syrians and others in the past few years? That's going to take a while for all concerned to adjust to.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Applying for a job in Germany for 6 months. I won’t get it, but it would certainly be a gamble on how long this keeps going for!! Might get stuck there at this rate

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So the Australian populace don't mind the Indian travel ban?
Seems that way. It is just an extension of the ridiculous state border closures and recognition that we still have a failed quarantine system.
I am pretty shocked that we are turning a nation of heartless bastards.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Seems that way. It is just an extension of the ridiculous state border closures and recognition that we still have a failed quarantine system.
I am pretty shocked that we are turning a nation of heartless bastards.
If even conservatives like my Mum are saying things like "there's no way we'd be putting a ban on the UK or USA" it would seem ScoMo doesn't have the mix quite right.

Here's an idea; if this Federal Govt. has such little faith in the abilities of our quarantine system to cope with a higher number of cases, why don't they... I dunno... f***ing take over and provide some Federal leadership and coordination to the program rather than leaving everything to the states to do?

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If even conservatives like my Mum are saying things like "there's no way we'd be putting a ban on the UK or USA" it would seem ScoMo doesn't have the mix quite right.

Here's an idea; if this Federal Govt. has such little faith in the abilities of our quarantine system to cope with a higher number of cases, why don't they... I dunno... f***ing take over and provide some Federal leadership and coordination to the program rather than leaving everything to the states to do?
Hey leave my mum out if this... lol
I agree it is a complete failure of the fed gov to see this risk here and address it. We are 12 months into this pandemic and have the transport capacity to bring people home but not the quarantine capacity.
In my view stat gov quarantine should have only been used for localized containment in their state and the feds to look after the risk from people coming into the country. It is common sense really.

Maybe the people in India could focus on their Tennis game and turn pro as there is no issue getting into the country if you play tennis.

BKMad

Likes Dirt
Do we really want the fed govt in charge of quarantine? They are clearly unable to organise a piss up in a brewery and they know it. I reckon the reason that they haven't done anything about it is that at the moment if anything goes wrong they can just blame the states. Best case scenario would be for the feds to hand over the money to the states to construct dedicated quarantine facilities.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
In my view stat gov quarantine should have only been used for localized containment in their state and the feds to look after the risk from people coming into the country. It is common sense really.
You have to come on a ricketty old boat to have the Feds pay any attention.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
You have to come on a ricketty old boat to have the Feds pay any attention.
Pfffftt......Scomo is the laziest sack of shit we've had as PM since Bligh was guv'nr. Little bitch is too scared of being chucked like the last few. And that leaves us with cunts like Mr Potato head Dutton making the actual decisions.

Poor bastards are probably better off staying in Mumbai and keeping their fingers crossed the IPL goes ahead.

Been so long, I'm a rookie again.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
^ pretty sure that there is as much gender neutrality in Dutton's pants as there is on the modern potato head world (as I recently discovered), so the Mr prefix is perhaps a long now.

I'm also fairly certain that Bligh was more popular with his NSW colony marines than ScoMo is with his voters.

Quarantine is a federal issue. They are the ones with the responsibility for it in the constitution and the ones with a fucking department (perhaps even departments) dedicated to it. They have had a whole year get in control of this shit show with practically no pressure from significant domestic outbreaks and they have done nothing to make it easier for Australians overseas to return to the safety of home. Hopefully when the time comes and their heads are still in the sand, everyone lines up to kick them in the arse.

Also, while I am not a fan of crying professional sports persons, I do hope that the (inexplicable) popularity of one of the most boring sports around brings this gross failing to the front of people's conversations.