The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Flow-Rider

Burner
Tigger airlines is a lot worse than the kanga, I've had some shit me pants moments in WA with Skippers going to remote camp sites as well, thank fuck they're pilots that can fly planes with limited instrumentation.

FoxRidersCo

Sanity is not statistical
The rate rise was inevitable, surely no-one really believed sub 1% cash rates were sustainable and here to stay forever.

The RBA governor has told Aussie's that regardless of who gets elected in May there will be at minimum 2 more rate rises in 2022.

Flow-Rider

Burner
The problem is the rise in household debt and the jokers that bought, that couldn't even save enough for a deposit by using their super and the first govt grants to buy.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
why is no one wigging out over the 0.25 interest rate rise? Every other platform is
I didn't think it was that big of a jump...and it was inevitable that at some point rates would rise at some point. Stagflation isn't a good place to hang out.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Without generalising much about the inhabitants of this forum, most appear to be financially comfortable and educated. The rise was always going to happen, I'm just surprised it has taken this long.
For us, it's probably more capable than comfortable, but we were smart enough to know that they only had one direction they could go and also borrowed to be ok with one income.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Local lnp has platestered the suburb with posters. Which is dunny since she doesnt live in the electorate and has been utterly invisible her entire term. But what really pisses me off is she announced the funding for the footie club house upgrade. The money that state vs federal members were blaming eachother for last tike around. And wants us to send kids from the club to play happily for her press shoot about it. We cant even play at the ground as its a construction site from the playing surface upgrade that is a few years late and was supposed to be finished in the off season, we won't play there this year.

Guess its not her job to actually deliver any promise.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Economic diversity is great and all, but if it costs more taxes to achieve (eg continually subsidising auto manufacturers so that we can have cars made here when overseas manufacturers can export them to us cheaper) it's not going to matter. We'll vote the party out that's costing us more to live because some cunts want to feel good about driving a Holden instead of a KIA...
While I don't like the idea of our taxes propping up the arm of a local multinational the loss of car manufacturing has been a disaster. Loss of a car manufacturer isn't the problem, it's the loss of all of the component and raw material suppliers. These are the people that allow a country to locally manufacturer anything. The car business keeps them afloat until we need them to make something more important when things get serious.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
While I don't like the idea of our taxes propping up the arm of a local multinational the loss of car manufacturing has been a disaster. Loss of a car manufacturer isn't the problem, it's the loss of all of the component and raw material suppliers. These are the people that allow a country to locally manufacturer anything. The car business keeps them afloat until we need them to make something more important when things get serious.
Car manufacturing was one example of many that fit the criteria.

Loss of component manufacturing...since the loss of the car industry, what would they have manufactured for us that we'd have needed?

Is the disaster that we didn't have to pay subsidies there rather than the car industry?

If you run a business at a loss, eventually you have to pivot, or shut up shop. You dont keep running at a loss. The local industry didnt innovate or pivot so its gone. Something else will crop up

It's just a shift that's not been fully realised yet IMO.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
The rate rise was inevitable, surely no-one really believed sub 1% cash rates were sustainable and here to stay forever.

The RBA governor has told Aussie's that regardless of who gets elected in May there will be at minimum 2 more rate rises in 2022.
Same governor said no rises untill at least 2024.

So...

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I'd gladly pay a bit more tax for better services and opportunities for those less well off than me.
Lots of People say that. But then get upset when they get a marginal increase via something liek an economic recovery levy, or medicare goes up or theres a bushfire levy. The level of additional taxation to achieve meaningfull benefits to the areas that need it is not insignificant.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
You've never met me and are not familiar with my circumstances, so I'm not sure why you're insinuating that.

Speak for yourself.
I you're right I don't know you or your circumstances, but the insinuation was not that you'd complain about a levy style increase, just that based on public sentiment for those levies i was insinuating that If the government made an actual change to taxes to make a material inflow to fund material things for less fortunate people, (ie if your tax rate went up 10% rather all of a sudden) without a compensating wage increase, you most definately wouldn't be happy about it. Who would?

If you're the minority that still wouldn't care, kudos to you, but the insinuation would be correct for almost everyone else. Where would your line be for you? Happy to lose 20% more from you income? 25%?

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
I'd gladly pay a bit more tax for better services and opportunities for those less well off than me.
Yep. I share your sentiments, and often say the same, then people think I’m stupid, while they also complain about the lack of funding to infrastructure and social services.
As long as it’s being directed to where it’s needed, I’m 100% happy paying more tax.

moorey

call me Mia
Where would your line be for you? Happy to lose 20% more from you income? 25%?
If everyone paid more, and everything was properly funded through our taxes, we wouldn’t need as much money. You’re just trolling talking about 20-25%, but if everyone, particularly corporations paid their proper share, even 2% increase would be more than ample. No math to back any of that up, but I stand by it.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

Yep. I share your sentiments, and often say the same, then people think I’m stupid, while they also complain about the lack of funding to infrastructure and social services.
As long as it’s being directed to where it’s needed, I’m 100% happy paying more tax.
Yep...as long as it helps find better super for politicians or subsidies for big business and none of that commie stuff, my wallet is always open.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
If everyone paid more, and everything was properly funded through our taxes, we wouldn’t need as much money. You’re just trolling talking about 20-25%, but if everyone, particularly corporations paid their proper share, even 2% increase would be more than ample. No math to back any of that up, but I stand by it.
Part of the problem is everyone trying to avoid paying tax, like all my tradie mates buying useless shit, new utes, caravans, shit tools...all to save paying as much tax every year, exploiting every possible avenue to pay less tax all while spending bulk coin...but saving tax bro ...then the same people hang shit on me for driving old cars while I smash my home loan.

moorey

call me Mia
Part of the problem is everyone trying to avoid paying tax, like all my tradie mates buying useless shit, new utes, caravans, shit tools...all to save paying as much tax every year, exploiting every possible avenue to pay less tax all while spending bulk coin...but saving tax bro ...then the same people hang shit on me for driving old cars while I smash my home loan.
The amount of people I know who think that a tax deduction on things that they buy for “work” makes them free, always gives me a giggle.
When I try to tell them that I might get 25 to 30% back in reality at tax time, they look at me and say “no, it’s tax-deductible, that makes them free!” OK bro, you do you.
Financial literacy certainly isn’t taught well at schools unfortunately.

Last edited: