The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea

Well, old mate angus did lie under parliamentary privilege about supposed travel expenses by sydney city council, by citing numbers from a "document" ( allegedly downloaded from their website) that doesn't actually exist, except in the fevered mind of angus and his shitstain staffers.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea

So the IPA only care because it might allow Labour to be more autocratic... le sigh...
Interesting that the head of the IPA (created by lord murdoch's father) is criticizing the liberals/nats for attacks on free speech and accountability...

The chief executive of the Institute of Public Affairs, John Roskam, said Bragg’s action against the website “seems to be another example of Coalition’s disdain for the principle of free speech and free political debate”.

Roskam cited Bragg’s threat and an unrelated complaint by the Liberal senator Sarah Henderson about the charitable status of the Parenthood Project as examples of government figures engaging in an “arbitrary and draconian overreaction” by targeting groups “for their vigorous opposition to the Coalition”.

“This is not the question of condoning unlawful activity. It is a question of attempting to censor political debate.”

Ponchoatdirtworks

Likes Dirt
I’m turning 55 next month. I’m getting more cynical every day. After paying some attention to politics for the last 3 decades, I’m convinced that no major party will do the right thing by the working poor (most of us).

I’d like to see a minority government made up of Labor, The Greens & progressive independents.
I’m convinced that consensus & compromise might be the only way forward.

What’s an ideal election outcome for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
The last hung Parliament worked out pretty well (2010-2013?); perhaps largely due to Gillard being a shrewd negotiator who pushed hard on the things she was passionate about (education, NDIS). Another one of those with Albo at the helm could be alright?

I don't like the ALP but will grudgingly admit their front bench is experienced and has a lot of talent. Coalition are hot bin juice since they taken over by populist conservative morons after Turnbull was ousted; they can get fucked imo.

Should be an interesting outcome regardless. Reckon the Coalition are going to get absolutely wiped out in SA, WA and Victoria.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
The last hung Parliament worked out pretty well (2010-2013?); perhaps largely due to Gillard being a shrewd negotiator who pushed hard on the things she was passionate about (education, NDIS). Another one of those with Albo at the helm could be alright?
This is about the best realistic outcome, still terrifyingly underwhelming though due to both major parties lack of any teeth about climate change or anti-corruption/rorting.

I don't like the ALP but will grudgingly admit their front bench is experienced and has a lot of talent. Coalition are hot bin juice since they taken over by populist conservative morons after Turnbull was ousted; they can get fucked imo.
Also agreed.

@Ponchoatdirtworks, you've pretty much hit the nail on the head of what I'd like to see. I want to see true debate where politicians are hanging onto their respective seats by a thread so they actually have to fight for things like climate change policies and the like (although there's equal probability the "they took our jobs" squeaky wheels will start pushing regressive agendas harder and louder and keep us living like it's still the industrial revolution). In all honesty, I actually wish we had a voluntary voting system in Australia. There's so many people in Australia that make their mind up based on the fearmongering sound-bites of our "good economic managers", but who ultimately would be too lazy to actually go and vote if it was optional. Would make it much easier to get independent candidates into government (for better or worse).

Jpez

Down on the left!
I’m turning 55 next month. I’m getting more cynical every day. After paying some attention to politics for the last 3 decades, I’m convinced that no major party will do the right thing by the working poor (most of us).

I’d like to see a minority government made up of Labor, The Greens & progressive independents.
I’m convinced that consensus & compromise might be the only way forward.

Pretty much what you’ve said but I’m convinced that if we had many many more women in positions of power the world would be a better place.

Ponchoatdirtworks

Likes Dirt
I’m hopeful that a diversity of representatives can break the hold of the fossil fuel barons & baroness over the trajectory of our country.

I have little faith in the EV cars as an energy/transport solution. I think we’re trading one energy intensive manufacturing industry for another.

There might be some chance for green hydrogen. I don’t know enough about it.