The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Are you posting this for real or in jest?
This part is true though, whatever you think and how ever it affected you at the time you can't change this:

According to Treasury modelling, under the CPRS there would have been no reduction in emissions for 25 years. It gave billions in handouts to coal companies and big polluters, while it locked in emissions targets that failed the science.

Anyway no need to resort to violent threats on behalf of your wife, though I'm sure they were in jest.

I'm glad you mentioned Tony though. Serious question, if the CPRS had got up do you think he still could/would have canned it?

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
This part is true though, whatever you think and how ever it affected you at the time you can't change this:

According to Treasury modelling, under the CPRS there would have been no reduction in emissions for 25 years. It gave billions in handouts to coal companies and big polluters, while it locked in emissions targets that failed the science.

Anyway no need to resort to violent threats on behalf of your wife, though I'm sure they were in jest.

I'm glad you mentioned Tony though. Serious question, if the CPRS had got up do you think he still could/would have canned it?
Couple of things there. The Treasury assumes it would have stayed as it was when introduced. Consistent with the same "greens missed the realities of the politics" this is a poor assumption (although the one the Treasury had to use because official advice) - it was to be ramped up, tightened up and generally improved in a frog boiling exercise to avoid spooking the horse. Just like the CPM was.

And no, I think it was unlikely to have been killed off by Abbott. It was strongly supported by industry and the real seeds of the climate wars that Abbott leveraged were created by the CPRS shenanigans. I believe the CPRS would have BAU by then and there would have been little for Abbott to stoke.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
And no, I think it was unlikely to have been killed off by Abbott. It was strongly supported by industry and the real seeds of the climate wars that Abbott leveraged were created by the CPRS shenanigans. I believe the CPRS would have BAU by then and there would have been little for Abbott to stoke.
Arguably had Rudd not lost his bottle and actually pushed through the CPRS (or thrown down with a DD election to get it done) Abbott as opposition leader and then PM never would've happened. He only got the gig by one vote anyway, and that was after the lack of passing the CPRS damaged Turnbull too. But Rudd was a gutless flog more concerned with being popular than actually governing, so here we are.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Arguably had Rudd not lost his bottle and actually pushed through the CPRS (or thrown down with a DD election to get it done) Abbott as opposition leader and then PM never would've happened. He only got the gig by one vote anyway, and that was after the lack of passing the CPRS damaged Turnbull too. But Rudd was a gutless flog more concerned with being popular than actually governing, so here we are.
Noting the word "flog" is a bogan moron term id suggest you ditch, Rudd for sure should have pushed it through.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes

Are you sitting down?

Tony should never have been PM.

Cth Treasury (Tsy) is fucked at microeconomic modelling. Their "best" people work in macro and they leave the pimply kids to do the micro work. Don't believe me, have a look at any of the Tsy presentations on revenue during mining boom 1 and 2; just hopeless. Flipping coins would have got you better forecasts.

What's doubly fucked is that the Greens don't listen to Treasury most of the time so it's a bit disingenuous to use Tsy forecasts as a fig leaf of an excuse.

So what happened ex post with the Coalition's shitty policy. Australian emissions fell. See https://ourworldindata.org/co2/country/australia. They were already falling anyway from 2004 due to what was baked in from Kyoto. On a per capit basis, the fall is even greater.

Now imagine what would have happened if generators like Bayswater, Liddel and Eraring had closed early, like we were planning. Instead they were sold off to prop up the hopeless NSW Labor Govt and they've been running for an extra 10 years.

All Bob Brown did was undermine Rudd and that Labor Government. He in effect created the perfect conditions for Tony Abbott to harp on endlessly about Rudd being a gutless liar and then Julia being a witch.

It's impossible to know for certain: but if Rudd held his nerve, and got the CPRS through. He would've handily won the next election and Tony would have been dumped as opposition leader. Tony was generally disliked by his colleagues and only grew in standing because he ran Julia into minority government at that 2010 election.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Oddjob

100% real. I'm sorry if it doesn't sit well with your world view. It was bad policy.
It's not my world view. See my answer above. I can give full name date references if you can be fucked reading them.

My world view is that the Greens are clueless numpties that are more interested in performative politics than real world solutions. They remind me of the Christian pro life campaigners who don't lift a finger to help disadvantaged kids or kids in state care.

It's an opinion that was formed by being at the coal face trying to do something about climate change. It happens to be shared with my wife who is a chemical/environmental engineer with a masters from Harvard and all of the other professionals we know (and we know a lot) in the energy/research/policy space.

Oddjob

It's not my world view. See my answer above. I can give full name date references if you can be fucked reading them.

My world view is that the Greens are clueless numpties that are more interested in performative politics than real world solutions. They remind me of the Christian pro life campaigners who don't lift a finger to help disadvantaged kids or kids in state care.

It's an opinion that was formed by being at the coal face trying to do something about climate change. It happens to be shared with my wife who is a chemical/environmental engineer with a masters from Harvard and all of the other professionals we know (and we know a lot) in the energy/research/policy space.

PS did I tell you about how I almost got into a fight with a cosplay koala over the CPRS?

Anyway here's some cosplay that's like a relaxing hot spring for your eyes (you can thank me later @Ultra Lord). NOT WORK FRIENDLY!

Last edited: