The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Hmmmm.... decided it's time to have a look at my candidates for the House of Reps. So voting Independent isn't looking so sharp given I've only got one and he's invisible. Only information I can find is he ran in a recent LGA election and got.... 93 votes. Hot ticket item there.

Oh wait he's also in a de-facto relationship with someone from the Philippines. So he's pro immigration? That's all I got.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
So I voted today. It was swift and painless, the only slow part was folding up my rather long senate paper and then giving it a test flight across the pre-polling floor. It flew quiet well! And relax...I checked with the staff prior to folding of I was about to invalidate my vote and they assured me I would still be counted.

as opposed to every other election...?
I think one election in my adult life had an outcome I wasn't disappointed in.

this plan to let young uns use their super is one of the dumbest hail mary plays yet. you dont make houses more affordable by pumping more money into the bottom end of the market, you trim the tax breaks at the top. and you'd have to repay that money into your super when you sell that house, so how will the property ladder work on the next generation of first home buyers if there's a huge current money penalty to moving up?

i fear that some will fall for this as more money for me to spend, it wont get you more house or make it easier to buy. the prices will just go up again. i am fearful i am, about to be disappointed in the voting public though

What happens when the housing market finally crashes and a large number of people have scooped a housing deposit out of their superannuation? It won't just be young-uns that do this.

But that's when you sell it and move into a nursing home to bath in kerosene.
Well at least I won be catching cooties !

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Yes you can, they're already doing it with seniors now This is how they'll reduce generational wealth.

https://moneysmart.gov.au/retirement-income/reverse-mortgage-and-home-equity-release
This is what I find so fascinating about the housing affordability bs. This isn't about housing being affordable for Australians it's business.

Who makes the most money off rising house prices?

Who would loose the most money if house prices dropped?

Does the group identified in A and B donate a shit load of money and influence to political parties?

If your answer was the banks then you win a prize!

This is all business the Australian people don't even come into the equation. The reverse mortgage business is another way for banks to cash out people's equity before they die.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
While thinking about it a nice side effect of drawing money out of your super is it reduces the influence of super funds in the stock market. Traditional finance hates the super funds being able to vote against them at the AGMs and having seats on their boards. With super funds having to liquidate holdings to pay out people for housing then they will loose some of that influence. It's win win, the banks who get more money in housing and traditional corporate don't have to report to the plebs any more!

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
While thinking about it a nice side effect of drawing money out of your super is it reduces the influence of super funds in the stock market. Traditional finance hates the super funds being able to vote against them at the AGMs and having seats on their boards. With super funds having to liquidate holdings to pay out people for housing then they will loose some of that influence. It's win win, the banks who get more money in housing and traditional corporate don't have to report to the plebs any more!
There was a headline the Australian that was quite open that this was a big benefit… No idea what the article said behind the paywall though. Usual crap I assume.

Another one said super was fine in keatings day when there was high home ownership, but this using super to buy a house is a good policy now. Said without irony I assume…

Flow-Rider

Burner
What happens when the housing market finally crashes and a large number of people have scooped a housing deposit out of their superannuation? It won't just be young-uns that do this.
If the housing market crashes, so will your super generally. No doubt it's going to fuck some people up, but the Govt will look at the money they'll save.

My neighbours are in their 70's and just sold their home and land for $2.5mil, they were previously on part govt pension and super payments, they lost their pension due to the home sale, downsized to a $1mil home, paid CGT on the rest of the money and then one of them suffered a bad stroke and can't move plus they already had pretty bad dementia, so one of them went in an old people's home, $500k entry bond, and it's costing around $4000 a month in care.

@Litenbror Getting old is a business in this country.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Probably knocks down the value of everyone’s super if enough cash is pulled out and dents the effectiveness of super funds performance. Or something…

LNP really don’t like super funds….

Litenbror

Eats Squid
If the housing market crashes, so will your super generally. No doubt it's going to fuck some people up, but the Govt will look at the money they'll save.

My neighbours are in their 70's and just sold their home and land for $2.5mil, they were previously on part govt pension and super payments, they lost their pension due to the home sale, downsized to a $1mil home, paid CGT on the rest of the money and then one of them suffered a bad stroke and can't move plus they already had pretty bad dementia, so one of them went in an old people's home, $500k entry bond, and it's costing around $4000 a month in care.

@Litenbror Getting old is a business in this country.
Absolutely getting old is a business, the reverse mortgage business is a particularly sleezy part of it.

Sounds like your neighbors have had a pretty hard time and I hope they are alright. It's one of the things I'm worried about getting old, not having $3.5 million in assets to fund it.

Propping up the housing market to continue the sky high prices may help today's retirees but it screws the rest of us. Maybe help them by funding and fixing our aged care system and not relying on the housing market to pay for ever increasing health costs could be a way to go.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Probably knocks down the value of everyone’s super if enough cash is pulled out and dents the effectiveness of super funds performance. Or something…

LNP really don’t like super funds….
Spot on. I can't think of the amount of times in the past that we have heard that super is untouchable, well, until it isn't.

I don't think any party can resist the lure of a big fund pool tucked away for a long time without some thought on how to exploit it. Can't really blame them since it is just what they are looking for, but don't..................

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
All I can say about the candidates in my electorate is, "fuck". Nine on the block, ALP, Lib & Green the standard big players. Then there are candidates from One Notion and the Fat Slob Mob... oops, that'd be UAP; the sole "independent" is likely a Labor shill if his campaign motto is anything to go by. Then there's an Animal Justice hippie, a Liberal Democrat (a quick Hambo of their preference suggestions indicates they fall into the same basket case as One Notion and Fat Slob Mob), leaving the final candidate for the Australian Federation Party - a bunch of nobodies who according to anorher quick Hambo appear to take a fairly centrist stance. Might be the least of nine evils......

Flow-Rider

Burner
Probably a waste of time for me to even vote. The other parties are already defeated because nobody has even heard of their candidate.