The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Yep, that's how evidence works.
Despite your sarcastic snark, it's exactly how science works. A theory stands until it is supplanted by evidence which supports a new theory.

But if you did a double degree at Harvard, you would know that.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Haakon

Keeps on digging
100% this. its a sad state when kids these days have to rely on "finfluencers" on tiktok to get financial advice.

My dad was a highly educated professional and even his financial advice was fucking stupid. "dont buy a house" it ties you to one place for 30 years. a mortgage costs more than rent yada yada. what a gronk. I have googled the sales results for the homes we live din the ACT that we could have bought back then. kind of sobering how bad his advice was.
My olds (despite owning their property, albeit a 20 acre bush block that cost $2000 in 1978...) always brought us up with "dont be part of the system" etc. Which means I too am looking at stuff I could actually have bought 20 years ago and deeply sighing...

moorey

call me Mia
Despite your sarcastic snark, it's exactly how science works. A theory stands until it is supplanted by evidence which supports a new theory.

But if you did a double degree at Harvard, you would know that.

Um no. You don’t get to make a claim and tell people they have to disprove it. You’re confusing science with religion.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
"what could they" is a question that went unanswered for the entirety that that industry was flailing IIRC, hence my comment about failure to innovate.
That's unfair. Our car industry was trying to innovate and get with the times but were lumbered with (in Ford and Holden's case) two large platforms and a dealer network largely very unenthusiastic about innovating to smaller products. But Ford still had a turbo four coming for the Falcon and a locally manufactured Focus. Holden had a hybrid prototype way back in 1999. Also Ford was anchored by a US parent that neither understood nor wanted it and had been wanting to kill it for decades, making what they achieved here all the more remarkable. The batshit rise of the Australian dollar during the early 2010's made us very uncompetitive, but I don't think there's any reason why if it was still going we wouldn't be competitive now.

Toyota Australia was profitable but once Holden pulled the plug economies of scale killed their business model.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
And it was stolen, thats like saying don't put your money in the bank because of bank robbers.
i just dont think soverign wealth funds are an answer in australia. Norway vs australia sovreign wealth fund would likely be incomparable. We have people that dont know how to add making up budgets.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
That's unfair. Our car industry was trying to innovate and get with the times but were lumbered with (in Ford and Holden's case) two large platforms and a dealer network largely very unenthusiastic about innovating to smaller products. But Ford still had a turbo four coming for the Falcon and a locally manufactured Focus. Holden had a hybrid prototype way back in 1999. Also Ford was anchored by a US parent that neither understood nor wanted it and had been wanting to kill it for decades, making what they achieved here all the more remarkable. The batshit rise of the Australian dollar during the early 2010's made us very uncompetitive, but I don't think there's any reason why if it was still going we wouldn't be competitive now.

Toyota Australia was profitable but once Holden pulled the plug economies of scale killed their business model.
I dont htink its unfair at all - a large part of the equation of this comment related to not specifically car manufacturers but the local peripheral parts manufacturers that we apparently should have kept around and thought about "what else they could manufacture". Those guys didnt innovate. Kept pumping out parts for a dying industry. Its all comes down to if its profitable, it will keep going. If its not, it will go elsewhere where it is profitable.. Whatever the reason.

Innovating ICE cars for more ICE cars with smaller engines is not really innovation IMO. Electric, alternate fuels etc. thats an auto industy innovation.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Also, the number of vox pops I've heard (albeit mostly in safe Lib seats) where the person says "Libs got us through COVID" as if a Labor government would have done something wildly different to make them suffer. It's depressing that people think that bipartisan policy was all the Libs doing.
Or more accurately it was Labour's idea and they had to guilt scotty into doing it given he was bad mounting it as a shit idea. Mind you, the Labour idea was not to implement it by giving the money to all the LNP donors...

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Innovating ICE cars for more ICE cars with smaller engines is not really innovation IMO. Electric, alternate fuels etc. thats an auto industy innovation.
I get your point but in context this was innovation over a decade ago. EVs weren't a thing (unless you count those flimsy Gee Whiz things), hybrids were just being embraced properly so smaller capacity ICE cars were innovating for the time. We'd also had a healthy LPG market for years. But we did not have the manufacturing scale to be tackling hydrogen. Even the biggest manufacturers in the world barely do.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I get your point but in context this was innovation over a decade ago. EVs weren't a thing (unless you count those flimsy Gee Whiz things), hybrids were just being embraced properly so smaller capacity ICE cars were innovating for the time. We'd also had a healthy LPG market for years. But we did not have the manufacturing scale to be tackling hydrogen. Even the biggest manufacturers in the world barely do.
Can't we just agree that the best thing for Australia is to build Skynet and load my brain into it. With my army of T-1000s, worries like taxes and Clive Palmer will be a thing of the past.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Can't we just agree that the best thing for Australia is to build Skynet and load my brain into it. With my army of T-1000s, worries like taxes and Clive Palmer will be a thing of the past.

ill vote for this

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Where's that 'Dictator for a Day' thread..

Would pay to see Palmer in a cage fight with a T100 though, even if it would be over fairly quickly.