The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

The Dude

Wasn't asking to be banned
Ronni Salt is very good, and that is a superb piece of writing.
Yes, I really liked it so I gave them a few bucks. This is what we need the mainstream Sheeple to read and understand, but unfortunately, they will always lap up the dribble of Murdoch and Co. (loved the comment about the "reality"-based uptake)

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Odds are getting interesting on a Lib spill with Dutton as the challenger.

Normally I'd say not a snowball's, but I would have said the same thing about Abbot, so what do I know?

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Odds are getting interesting on a Lib spill with Dutton as the challenger.

Normally I'd say not a snowball's, but I would have said the same thing about Abbot, so what do I know?
Numbers won't work.
Scomo changed the requirements for a spill to >75% of the party room vote. Mr Potatohead doesn't have the numbers for that.
If the Libs go to the election with Scomo at the helm and lose, then he can be booted with a simple majority vote.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Numbers won't work.
Scomo changed the requirements for a spill to >75% of the party room vote. Mr Potatohead doesn't have the numbers for that.
If the Libs go to the election with Scomo at the helm and lose, then he can be booted with a simple majority vote.
I'm not saying that Dutton will take the leadership, just that the chances of a spill are increasing given the current trajectory.

Morrison is in a pretty bad place at the moment - his grasping at straws to cover for numerous failures (bushfires, pandemic response, relationship with China, relationship with the French, COP26, religious freedom bill, corruption commission, lying, party discipline/unity, etc.) and has provided too many targets for his opposition. I think that there will be a lot of nervousness in the govt at the moment and I think people will be getting nervous about their jobs and the ability to win the election.

If this new COVID variant proves problematic, the failure to build dedicated quarantine facilities (they looked into it and decided against it a couple of weeks ago) might bite them badly. I don't think that it's likely that Dutton would win; firstly, because he's so fucking unlikeable and divisive, but so was Abbott. But mostly, because Morrison won a very tough election last time so some will likely prefer to stick with him, even though he's on the nose.

Dutton is clearly working hard on his brand right now and positioning himself as the strong leader in the face of an external (non-white) threat. But I think the real challenge to Morrison comes from Frydenberg. I'd reckon he'd be happy to let Dutton do the wrecking but for him to emerge from mid-field and take the leadership in a way similar to the way Morrison did.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
I'm not saying that Dutton will take the leadership, just that the chances of a spill are increasing given the current trajectory.

Morrison is in a pretty bad place at the moment - his grasping at straws to cover for numerous failures (bushfires, pandemic response, relationship with China, relationship with the French, COP26, religious freedom bill, corruption commission, lying, party discipline/unity, etc.) and has provided too many targets for his opposition. I think that there will be a lot of nervousness in the govt at the moment and I think people will be getting nervous about their jobs and the ability to win the election.

If this new COVID variant proves problematic, the failure to build dedicated quarantine facilities (they looked into it and decided against it a couple of weeks ago) might bite them badly. I don't think that it's likely that Dutton would win; firstly, because he's so fucking unlikeable and divisive, but so was Abbott. But mostly, because Morrison won a very tough election last time so some will likely prefer to stick with him, even though he's on the nose.

Dutton is clearly working hard on his brand right now and positioning himself as the strong leader in the face of an external (non-white) threat. But I think the real challenge to Morrison comes from Frydenberg. I'd reckon he'd be happy to let Dutton do the wrecking but for him to emerge from mid-field and take the leadership in a way similar to the way Morrison did.
Frydenburg is so toxic in VIC he is in danger of losing his seat due to the comments against the Andrews government over the past 18 months.
I think that Libs will go to the election as is, it will be closer than a lot of people expect, Labour wins, Dutton rolls Scomo, and the bullshit continues

Flow-Rider

Burner
Frydenburg is so toxic in VIC he is in danger of losing his seat due to the comments against the Andrews government over the past 18 months.
I think that Libs will go to the election as is, it will be closer than a lot of people expect, Labour wins, Dutton rolls Scomo, and the bullshit continues
A lot of people won't forget what Scomo has done, people hate him because he never put a lid on house prices and it's made other people homeless, it's things like this that people never forget when it comes to voting.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
A lot of people won't forget what Scomo has done, people hate him because he never put a lid on house prices and it's made other people homeless, it's things like this that people never forget when it comes to voting.
On the flip side - down here if you put a lid on house prices a pollie would be burnt at the stake. Can't have all the oldies taking a hit on their investment properties after all! Between the large amounts of foreign hosuing ownership in metro areas, no caps on investment properties, and general wage stagnation - it's no wonder the divide between the haves and have-nots is ever-widening... :(

Flow-Rider

Burner
On the flip side - down here if you put a lid on house prices a pollie would be burnt at the stake. Can't have all the oldies taking a hit on their investment properties after all! Between the large amounts of foreign hosuing ownership in metro areas, no caps on investment properties, and general wage stagnation - it's no wonder the divide between the haves and have-nots is ever-widening... :(
I hope they like their kids living with them for ever or mortgaging their home for a deposit for their kids :D.