The Drivetrain Compatibility. Thread

Flow-Rider

Burner
That would be because they don't use grease on the roller clutch, as it makes the rollers stick & not engage properly. Oil is recommended from memory?
They recommend nothing last time I looked, but I've used thin grease and penetrant fluid before without much issue.

Scotty675

Cable thief
Grease the p axle not the face of the clutch. I don’t touch the band. I’ll find photos of what happens if you don’t. I’ve got new derailleurs that have a notchy feeling clutch out of the box.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
What about chains? My set of 5 x 11sp chains are getting sloppy with the shifts and are starting to drop off the chain rings. I'm looking for 11sp, but finding many more 10sp or 12sp options in the right price range. Can I run them on 11sp?

Should probably be in the stupid questions thread, but at least it's still drivetrain.

moorey

call me Mia
Ok, bought an XT 12sp mech to try on 11sp drivetrain after talk that it’s compatible. Hoping that being designed for a bigger cassette, it would reduce the excessive B screw needed on Felix’s GS 11sp xt to clear the 10-46t 11sp cassette nicely while still having acceptable shifting.
New inner/outer. New chain, set to correct length as per instructions, but just couldn’t get it to shift and mesh cleanly.
It’s the long cage model, but instructions said it fine for 10-45.
But nope. Played with B screw, just couldn’t get it to mesh perfectly through the range. I’m fussy, but seems like the pull ratio is just a bees dick out to me.
Checked the hanger, it’s straight.
Banged back on the 11sp mech, all bonza again.
Didn’t have all night to fart around as Felix needs the bike in the morning, so might try it another day on a spare bike, but would love to know what I did differently to others who say they’ve done it and got it working :(

moorey

call me Mia
What about chains? My set of 5 x 11sp chains are getting sloppy with the shifts and are starting to drop off the chain rings. I'm looking for 11sp, but finding many more 10sp or 12sp options in the right price range. Can I run them on 11sp?

Should probably be in the stupid questions thread, but at least it's still drivetrain.
Or, the cheap KMC 11sp chains I posted up the the other day?
https://www.amazon.com.au/KMC-X11EL...ocphy=9071156&hvtargid=pla-699913951594&psc=1

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok, bought an XT 12sp mech to try on 11sp drivetrain after talk that it’s compatible. Hoping that being designed for a bigger cassette, it would reduce the excessive B screw needed on Felix’s GS 11sp xt to clear the 10-46t 11sp cassette nicely while still having acceptable shifting.
New inner/outer. New chain, set to correct length as per instructions, but just couldn’t get it to shift and mesh cleanly.
But nope. Played with B screw, just couldn’t get it to mesh perfectly through the range. I’m fussy, but seems like the pull ratio is just a bees dick out to me.
Didn’t have all night to fart around as Felix needs the bike in the morning, so might try it another day on a spare bike, but would love to know what I did differently to others who say they’ve done it and got it working :(
I’m assuming you’ve tried a goat link as you have some?

I’ve decided to stick with 10 speed and try 11-46 so got a ZTTO link. Put it on my M780 that has a RAD cage running on 11-42. The link allowed me to put the B tension back to what it was with 11-32 cassette and the shifting is just as crisp as it used to be.
Now just waiting for my cassette and fingers crossed it works smoothly.

Scotty675

Cable thief
Chain length is crucial. If you take a photo of the bike in 11th gear I could tell you by derailleur position if it’s right. Also setting b screw is a bit different as well. You want about 52mm from longest tooth on cassette to middle of jockey wheel. I think I settled on 51mm with 9-46 cassette.

moorey

call me Mia
Chain length is crucial. If you take a photo of the bike in 11th gear I could tell you by derailleur position if it’s right. Also setting b screw is a bit different as well. You want about 52mm from longest tooth on cassette to middle of jockey wheel. I think I settled on 51mm with 9-46 cassette.
It’s off now. Did the big g5-6 links as directed.
Played with varying gaps, gave up.
Will try another day and get pics. Honestly though, if it’s this finicky, it can fuck right off. I can set up any other derailleur in seconds and get perfect shifting without having to get out verniers, hold my tongue right, and pray to a new god.
Was already disinterested in 12sp, this just seems like a hassle I don’t need.
Cheers though. Another day.

moorey

call me Mia
I’m assuming you’ve tried a goat link as you have some?

I’ve decided to stick with 10 speed and try 11-46 so got a ZTTO link. Put it on my M780 that has a RAD cage running on 11-42. The link allowed me to put the B tension back to what it was with 11-32 cassette and the shifting is just as crisp as it used to be.
Now just waiting for my cassette and fingers crossed it works smoothly.
No goat (sun race) on Felix’s bike. Tried one, It worked better without. Running one on my bike even though I’ve gone back to 10-42 from the 10-46. Unnecessary, but works nicely.

Scotty675

Cable thief
It’s off now. Did the big g5-6 links as directed.
Played with varying gaps, gave up.
Will try another day and get pics. Honestly though, if it’s this finicky, it can fuck right off. I can set up any other derailleur in seconds and get perfect shifting without having to get out verniers, hold my tongue right, and pray to a new god.
Was already disinterested in 12sp, this just seems like a hassle I don’t need.
Cheers though. Another day.
What cassette is it?

Scotty675

Cable thief
Did it play better at one end of the cassette and not the other? The 11 speed 9-46 I’m running it is slow from 1-2 no matter what I do but fine everywhere else.

moorey

call me Mia
Did it play better at one end of the cassette and not the other? The 11 speed 9-46 I’m running it is slow from 1-2 no matter what I do but fine everywhere else.
Was inconsistent. Oddly, it was often the mid range gears that wanted to skip and jump inconsistently even when it was reasonable top and bottom.
At its best, could almost get it acceptable, but then it tended to struggle dropping onto the 10t even with slack in the cable and the low screw not stopping it.
It will 100% be me if others are managing it...just didn’t have more time to play with it.
Does seem unnecessarily finicky to set up even on a full 12sp system though compared to good old 11sp.

Scotty675

Cable thief
Was inconsistent. Oddly, it was often the mid range gears that wanted to skip and jump inconsistently even when it was reasonable top and bottom.
At its best, could almost get it acceptable, but then it tended to struggle dropping onto the 10t even with slack in the cable and the low screw not stopping it.
It will 100% be me if others are managing it...just didn’t have more time to play with it.
Does seem unnecessarily finicky to set up even on a full 12sp system though compared to good old 11sp.
Yes is definitely more finicky, but the full system is nice once used to it.
I don’t know for sure but it may also have something to do with 11 speed chain. I’m running 12 speed chain.

moorey

call me Mia
Yes is definitely more finicky, but the full system is nice once used to it.
I don’t know for sure but it may also have something to do with 11 speed chain. I’m running 12 speed chain.
Good point. It’s the first thing I’ll try next time. That said, chain runs through the derailleur beautifully, so it doesn’t jump out as the issue, but maybe be just compounding other set up issues. Cheers.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Low screw will do exactly nothing on the smallest sprocket, because it deals with the other end of the derailleur's travel....