The Drivetrain Compatibility. Thread

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
What about chains? My set of 5 x 11sp chains are getting sloppy with the shifts and are starting to drop off the chain rings. I'm looking for 11sp, but finding many more 10sp or 12sp options in the right price range. Can I run them on 11sp?

Should probably be in the stupid questions thread, but at least it's still drivetrain.
Don't. 10-sp. or less you can get away with running one increment out of spec, but 11 or 12 the sprocket spacing is pretty tight and fiddly enough to tune with the right bits. Shimano 12-sp. chain particularly has funky shaping of the inner link plates, to the point that it simply will not run on chainrings that aren't designed for it. Back end isn't quite so touchy.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My original plan of 11-46 10 speed utilising XT 780 shifter and derailleur with RAD cage will not work. Need a goat style link to get the derailleur arm to clear the 46t cassette. Sadly the mech can’t take up the chain slack on the 11T and also clear a 42T, let alone a 46T.

Now I have a Deore 5120 derailleur on order as it claims to be able to handle 1x10 11-46. Fingers crossed.
#10speed4lyf

madstace

Likes Dirt
My original plan of 11-46 10 speed utilising XT 780 shifter and derailleur with RAD cage will not work. Need a goat style link to get the derailleur arm to clear the 46t cassette. Sadly the mech can’t take up the chain slack on the 11T and also clear a 42T, let alone a 46T.

Now I have a Deore 5120 derailleur on order as it claims to be able to handle 1x10 11-46. Fingers crossed.
#10speed4lyf
Get that on sale did ya? :p

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well, there you go. The cassette I have is the new version so should be good to go, ZTTO should be okay too given it seems the same in design.