The Drivetrain Compatibility. Thread

Scotty675

Cable thief
Agreed with all the above...hence running a sunrace hanger extender on the tranny with 10-42. Doesn’t need it, nicer tension and shifting with it. It’s only on one of my 10-42 bikes though.
If you ever go 12 speed you will find chain length makes a huge difference. I like 12 speed and love how you can change underload and not feel guilty. I still think the 11 speed 11-40 Xtr takes the cake for light and crisp though

moorey

call me Mia
Maybe I am just a spud who has no feeling but my XT 11sp medium cage runs perfectly well on an 11-46.
Felix's new bike runs the 10-46 without an extender, and very acceptable B screw and tension.
Other bikes, not so.
Definitely a few variables

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
While we're on the subject, do you know what type of goat link I'd need for an SLX Shadow (M670 non-clutched).

The extender cog (42T) didn't work out on my cassette so I'll be looking for a used 11-42T cassette just so I can sell a viable for the trails 1x bike.
Wolftooth Goat-10 worked on my non-clutched XT Shadow rear mech, although my chain wasn't long enough to get me in the biggest cog :rolleyes:
I'll likely be selling them both lightly used in the next month or so if you're keen

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Felix's new bike runs the 10-46 without an extender, and very acceptable B screw and tension.
Other bikes, not so.
Definitely a few variables
So frame style can also play a part in all this, awesome. What setup have you got on a V2 Banshee? I might get similar results from something of very close geometry.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Quick one folks. 10 speed X7 RD. Can I run 11-40 cassette?

Failing that 10 speed shimano should do it without needing a goat link right?

moorey

call me Mia
So frame style can also play a part in all this, awesome. What setup have you got on a V2 Banshee? I might get similar results from something of very close geometry.
Seems to purely based on one mans experience and 4 different frames. Maybe later models are more designed for bigger cassettes and the hanger is made accordingly.
Spitty hasn’t had a 46 on it, sorry, only a 42.
Attaching pics for reference if sunrace v goat 11. Sunrace is shorter and sits more vertical. It also sits recessed in hanger, unlike the goat that moves it outbound.
Happy to post you one of each to test if you wanted.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Wolftooth Goat-10 worked on my non-clutched XT Shadow rear mech, although my chain wasn't long enough to get me in the biggest cog :rolleyes:
I'll likely be selling them both lightly used in the next month or so if you're keen
Can you let me know please? I'll be honest and say it's a means to sell a $500 mountain bike so I'm on a strict budget and I don't want to take the piss by lowballing.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Can you let me know please? I'll be honest and say it's a means to sell a $500 mountain bike so I'm on a strict budget and I don't want to take the piss by lowballing.
I'll drop you a line once I've flogged them off the bike and see what nick they're in, and what I paid for them. You can have first dibs.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I ran one of these for a year on my gravel bike, allowed me to run a road Shimano 105 11spd derailleur with a 11-42 cassette.

Reckon I may still have a couple of them somewhere.

Current-series R7000 105 and R8000 Ultegra (and GRX derivatives) in long form will fit up to 42T without goats, and have enough play for a narrowish-range 2x ringset.