The Drivetrain Compatibility. Thread

moorey

call me Mia
While we're on the subject, do you know what type of goat link I'd need for an SLX Shadow (M670 non-clutched).

The extender cog (42T) didn't work out on my cassette so I'll be looking for a used 11-42T cassette just so I can sell a viable for the trails 1x bike.
You’ll need something like the goat 10. Or a rad cage maybe. I only tried up to 40t, back in the day when you added an extender cog, before wide range 10sp was a thing.
OK BOOMER.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm running m8000 with 10 speed 11-42 no problem and m6000 with 11-46. Haven't tried m8000 with 11-46 but there is a goatlink to suit.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
M8000GS is claimed to be able to handle 46T as per Shimano site.
Lemme know if you want a goat 11. Bought 2 but preferred the cheaper, shorter ZTTO versions. (M8000 mech with 46t 1-sp). I’m even running one on my 10-42, which doesn’t need one, but like the way it shifts running one.
Are you running the M8000 with 11sp shifter or 10?

moorey

call me Mia
M8000GS is claimed to be able to handle 46T as per Shimano site.

Are you running the M8000 with 11sp shifter or 10?
They do say that. And I can....though I had to run more B screw than feasible on my frames. Shifted like shit and put a lot of tension on the derailleur.

11sp. Except back when I was 10sp

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They do say that. And I can....though I had to run more B screw than feasible on my frames. Shifted like shit and put a lot of tension on the derailleur.

11sp. Except back when I was 10sp
Ok. Looks like all signs point to full 11sp if I want quality 11-46.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Do you mean 12sp? I’m still resorting to goats, and potentially a 12sp mech to get the best out of 11sp with 46.
12sp mech on 11sp cassette? I don’t mind running a goat with m8000 if that works well on 46T 11sp.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Yes.

Goat works, but I’m less than enthused about where it locates the mech With 11sp.
Interesting. Looks like the ZTTO just mounts mech lower and Goat mounts down and back.

Running goat on 11spd XTR with 46t and runs well. For under $10 off Ali wonder if trying the ZTTO is worth it to see if it makes any difference.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Interesting. Looks like the ZTTO just mounts mech lower and Goat mounts down and back.

Running goat on 11spd XTR with 46t and runs well. For under $10 off Ali wonder if trying the ZTTO is worth it to see if it makes any difference.
You’re just throwing a spanner in the works now.
Mind posting a pic?

moorey

call me Mia

Yep, goat takes it more backwards, ZTTO is shorter, and moves it more down. The goat also steps it out the thickness of the link, while the ZTTO is recessed in, and makes it sit online with the hanger.
Err, I mean, the Goats are awesome, and someone should totally buy them off me.

Scotty675

Cable thief
Yes.

Goat works, but I’m less than enthused about where it locates the mech With 11sp.
I think it works best changing the cage length. Yes probably costs more but gets the b gap adjustment needed.
Ive found alot of stress is put on the drivetrain without correct chain length running a cage that is to short.
Although an 11-50 cassette will work with med cage derailleur, you can feel the tension it puts on the derailleur.
I’ve found an Xtr 11 speed set up 11-40 shifts so light and crisp. As the cassette gets bigger it’s not as light.

moorey

call me Mia
I think it works best changing the cage length. Yes probably costs more but gets the b gap adjustment needed.
Ive found alot of stress is put on the drivetrain without correct chain length running a cage that is to short.
Although an 11-50 cassette will work with med cage derailleur, you can feel the tension it puts on the derailleur.
I’ve found an Xtr 11 speed set up 11-40 shifts so light and crisp. As the cassette gets bigger it’s not as light.
Agreed with all the above...hence running a sunrace hanger extender on the tranny with 10-42. Doesn’t need it, nicer tension and shifting with it. It’s only on one of my 10-42 bikes though.