The cooking thread

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Tried halloumi for the first time tonight(I liked it, the wife didn't) this could be interesting moving forward...
Fried cheese is a weird concept, but bloody yummy! (I didn't know until fairly recently that halloumi is a type of cheese). The way it's packed, it's very salty, so is best rinsed before cooking to take that edge off and bring out the flavour of the cheese.

Minlak

custom titis
As a complete counterpoint, halloumi has a very high melting point as far as cheeses go, which is why it's typically fried, and why I didn't realise for so long that it's cheese! :p
Melted any cheese is just the bomb diggity - my favourite is sharp Parmesan grilled until brown - when I make a toasted sandwich I put Cracker Barrel inside and spread Parmesan on the outside with the butter and toast it until brown then eat that -Alton Brown also shows us how to make a true toasted cheese

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Tried halloumi for the first time tonight(I liked it, the wife didn't) this could be interesting moving forward...
I nearly always have it in the fridge, when ever the bbq goes on so does the halloumi...get it nice and charred then into a salad of baby spinach, cherry toms, pomegranate and pinenuts...thank me later.

Last edited:

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I nearly always have it in the fridge, when ever the bbq goes on so does the halloumi...get it nice a charred then into a salad of baby spinach, cherry toms, pomegranate and pinenuts...thank me later.
Has to be warm, gets squeaky as it cools.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Melted any cheese is just the bomb diggity - my favourite is sharp Parmesan grilled until brown - when I make a toasted sandwich I put Cracker Barrel inside and spread Parmesan on the outside with the butter and toast it until brown then eat that -Alton Brown also shows us how to make a true toasted cheese

Now that's a whole new definition of cheese toastie!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

I like Alton's little cooking snippets.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Lamb ribs on the oven...got my spice mix on them and a lot of garlic. The house smells pretty tasty! Hopefully the ribs are too.

Well it isn't pork belly, but damn this worked out pretty good! Ribs pulled out clean and easy, rub worked well but could have penetrated deeper, and the meat was juicy. I'll put a little more effort in next time and get the rub on for a bit before cooking, use more garlic, and put some deeper cuts into the flesh. Served with a visually unappealing mix of leek, garlic, tomato, peas, and corn. 2 weeks of too much work didn't leave me much fresh vegetables!

ausdb

Being who he is
After yesterdays breakfast at the cafe, Mr 10 and I decided to have a go at creating our own cajun chicken salad with yoghurt dressing for dinner last night. Looked at a few recipes online, found a jar of cajun spice hiding in the cupboard and winged it for the dressing.
Even little miss fussy enjoyed hers with cajun less chicken.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Please don't judge me for what I'm about to confess. I do know you don't cook steak in a microwave oven and especially not a piece of eye fillet so don't get Marco Pierre to round up the mob with pitchforks just yet.
Last night I cooked steak with a microwave and it was superb. I like my steak quite rare which means that if it isn't allowed to come up to room temp before cooking the centre is likely to be still cold and it will quickly bring down the temperature of the cooked steak. Last night I was hungry and couldn't wait for the steak to warm up so I gave it 40 seconds on 20%. This made it warm without cooking it at all and then 30 seconds a side on a super hot pan finished the job.
Trust me on this one if you're a rare steak eater.