The cooking thread

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
The turkey was fucking awesome. Not as photogenic as the ham, but still looked the goods! Soft and moist through thanks o the steam bath and crispy outside from 3 coats of salty olive oil brushed on.

Super gran was very pleased as the recipient of the wings and parson's nose.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
So mum had a new bbq and was pretty keen to cook something on it. So we had the very traditional Christmas hamburgers this morning. I whipped up a Mexican inspired salad and some patties then my knock off big mack sauce to go on brioche rolls. This is the salad:

Beans, shallots, capsicum, tomato, coriander, lime juice, olive oil, and vinegar. It's a tasty easy salad. The break in rout me confused super gran a bit. "I thought you would have made a roast?" Oh don't you worry...in a few hours we'll get to that.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Knocked up a quick lunch from bits the other day. Some cow bum strips dusted in potato starch, paprika, onion and garlic powder plus a bit of salt and pepper shallow fried. Wokked some garlic and onion and capsicum. Then chuck the beef back in, a splash of light soy and a squirt of honey. Bloody good. I would even pay for this.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I made Magi's beef and broccoli last night. Not a fan though it did taste the same as a bought one. Bit bland.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Cumin Lamb Ribs. Lots of garlic, ginger, Sichuan pepper and Chilli
See your a fan of sichuan cooking.

Do you use fermented bean paste? If not, get on it. Also if the missus doesn't like the peppercorns (mine calls them sticks) you can get sichuan peppercorn oil which you can substitute for the flavour and the numbing sensation :)

Last edited:

Hools

Likes Dirt
See your a fan of such-and-such cooking.

Do you use fermented bean paste? If not, get on it. Also if the missus doesn't like the peppercorns (mine calls them sticks) you can get sichuan peppercorn oil which you can substitute for the flavour and the numbing sensation :)
I love it. Sichuan, Hunan all good stuff. I’ve never used the oil, I’ve heard it has a short shelf life?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Growing sweet potato for the first time this year. Plant looks to be doing well. Can't wait to harvest some.
It grows like a weed, when it sticks its bum up in the air you can pluck the fruits! I have let one take over a whole planter, just a Dwarf orange in the middle. Trees, not filing cabinet. I am going to plant more as ground covers.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Growing sweet potato for the first time this year. Plant looks to be doing well. Can't wait to harvest some.
I hope you're planning on eating the leaves as well, they are one of my favourite greens. Don't let the milky sap put you off, it's actually starch, not a latex like endives or dandelions so it's not bitter.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I hope you're planning on eating the leaves as well, they are one of my favourite greens. Don't let the milky sap put you off, it's actually starch, not a latex like endives or dandelions so it's not bitter.
Tell me more! I have eschewed not chewed them. I have about 100m2 of leaves.