The cooking thread

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I thought the blood orange added an extra bit of deliciousness too.
So much so! While not strictly following the recipe, I usually add 10-15ml squeeze of oj (blood type prefered) to negroni when I make them. It give the drink an edge over the standard. For work I make them in ~900ml batches for faster service. When doing that I like to drop a few slices into the batch and let it infuse.

Swap a suitable whisky for the gin (I like american rye or [embarrassed blush] wild turkey 101) and you'll have a nice boulevardier.

Blood orange old fashioned is also a good drink if you have a suitable whiskey.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Basic fare tonight. Did some veges in the airfryer as chips. Potatoes dusted in garlic salt and an Italian herb mix with sliced garlic and sweet potato and carrot and Spanish onion dusted in paprika. Using the slicer machine thingy means consistent sizes and more uniform cooking.

Sacrificed some eye fillet, amazing such tasty steaks come from a cow's eye. Made up a sauce from scratch, worth a try... it was really good.
Tablespoon of butter, generous teaspoon of whole grain mustard, splash of Worcestershire sauce, some pepper, a clove or two of garlic and a bit more of the herb blend. Mix it up when the butter softens and then layer it on top while the steaks are resting.

I bought a small whole eye fillet so I might try a Peking beef or spicy beef tomorrow with the half remaining.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
And this is on the menu tonight...
Turned out as win in the end. I was expecting a fair degree of protest from Mr 10 and he looked very unimpressed when it was plonked in front him (his favorite thing is sourdough with grilled cheese and plain pasta with olive oil and salt/pepper....blaaaand). Midway through dinner he and his younger sister had decided that this was"the best chicken ever, when are we having it again"

Only thing was I forgot to put the parsley in after I extracted the kids portions so it just got lumped on top and I added bacon, because, well bacon.

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I reprised this
Probably my favourite thing I have cooked from recipe. Some caveats though, 1/4 of the chilli in the chilli oil because that is as hot as my wife can cope with and no chilli in the stir fry so I add raw chilli on mine later. Added steamed beans for green but otherwise faithful.

It is sooooooo good. Give it a try, a bit intensive in cooking steps (for me anyway) with a couple of woks on the go simultaneously and at the same time! Prepare everything ahead of time so no rushing. I learned that last time. Chicken marinated for about 2 hours. Then all the chopping was done and assembly of sauce etc ready just to pour in. Double fried the chicken, first in 3 batches then all together. Rice into rice cooker and rinsed ready to go. Rice on when first batch of chicken is deep frying.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Slow roasted brisket for lunch special at work today, lots of garlic.

Wings for dinner at home because rain.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Tonight's concoction: creamy turkey & mushroom tortellini.

500g turkey mince, a few ham slices, chopped, a tin of whole champignons, including the brine, small tin of mushies in butter sauce, about a cup of cloudy cider (scrumpy), decent splodge of minced garlic, oregano, a smear of minced ginger, a dribble of lime juice, and cream. Dished up on mushroom-filled tortellini.
Mild twist tonight, swapped the scrumpy for a "white shiraz" rosé, and added an extra smear of ginger & dribble of lime to balance the sweetness, and the tortellini this time is filled with ham & mozzarella.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Why didn't someone remind me how good freshly brewed coffee and chilli taste together. At the same time both simultaneously or sequentially or one after another. Left over crispy chilli chicken was good for lunch. Extra chilli.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Why didn't someone remind me how good freshly brewed coffee and chilli taste together. At the same time both simultaneously or sequentially or one after another. Left over crispy chilli chicken was good for lunch. Extra chilli.
For a second I was preparing to load a chilli into the portafilter with some coffee.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Dried chillies only, worth a try. Report back. I expect graphed results. % chilli (by weight) vs mouthgasm intensity.
I used to make a cinnamon infused espresso shot like that a few years back. It wasn't bad, but it certainly wasn't going to change the world either.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Friday night meat fix. Slow cooked beef rib, salsa verde.
What are the things that look like a hybrid between a pastry and roast potato?

That whole meal looks incredibly tasty though. I'd come to your restaurant!