The cooking thread

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
'Let's make dumplings' said the lovely Mrs.
'Sounds like fun. Have you done it before?'
'No'.
'Errr....'
'I'll roll and you can fill them'.

So my efforts looked mostly like bent burritos or squished tacos. None split and there were getting better near the end.

Lesson for the day:
Things that look easy may not be easy.
View attachment 378024View attachment 378025View attachment 378026
I’ll bet they still tasted great. Some things are best left to aunties

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Theres a definite technique, and as soon as it “clicks” and you get it you’ll wonder why it took so long haha.
Love me some home made dumplings. The jealousy is real.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
It will be a long road till it clicks with me :) I can cook well enough but certainly no chef. Mrs is pretty awesome though.

There is definitely an art to it. Getting the dough at the right size and thickness then folding it so it looks good without any bunched up bits that will stop it cooking evenly is the trick.

Just learn a little bit at a time.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
It will be a long road till it clicks with me :) I can cook well enough but certainly no chef. Mrs is pretty awesome though.

There is definitely an art to it. Getting the dough at the right size and thickness then folding it so it looks good without any bunched up bits that will stop it cooking evenly is the trick.

Just learn a little bit at a time.
Nice work @Mr Crudley and Mrs Crudley!

I've made pierogi a few times and totally understand how long the process takes.

Damn, now I want pierogi...

stirk

Burner
'Let's make dumplings' said the lovely Mrs.
'Sounds like fun. Have you done it before?'
'No'.
'Errr....'
'I'll roll and you can fill them'.

So my efforts looked mostly like bent burritos or squished tacos. None split and there were getting better near the end.

Lesson for the day:
Things that look easy may not be easy.
View attachment 378024View attachment 378025View attachment 378026
I'm inspired to have a go at dumplings now! There is so much effort but I'm sure the outcome was worth it

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
I'm inspired to have a go at dumplings now! There is so much effort but I'm sure the outcome was worth it
We do a simplified version with the kids, nothing as in-depth as @Mr Crudleys efforts...store bought wonton wrappers with a pork/prawn filling, makes about 40 dumplings which I always think is heaps and there'll be leftovers for lunch the next day...but alas, no.

stirk

Burner
We do a simplified version with the kids, nothing as in-depth as @Mr Crudleys efforts...store bought wonton wrappers with a pork/prawn filling, makes about 40 dumplings which I always think is heaps and there'll be leftovers for lunch the next day...but alas, no.
That's a good idea using wonton wrappers. I'd love to try from scratch though. We love our dumplings and gyoza and perogi and you always eat way too much and get the bloat!

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock

They look great. Will have to give this a try in future.

Making the dough thin is pretty difficult and will need a rethink if we do that again.

We used egg and chives with a bit of garlic as the filler. Chives smell doesn't go away easily either :)

Well done sir.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
They look great. Will have to give this a try in future.

Making the dough thin is pretty difficult and will need a rethink if we do that again.

We used egg and chives with a bit of garlic as the filler. Chives smell doesn't go away easily either :)

Well done sir.
If you're use to making your own wrappers then using store bought ones might be a bit of a let down, we do it to get the younglings engaged, if we made our own we would have lost them at the rolling stage, I'm sure freshly prepared skins are sooo much better.

Eggs definitely as a binding agent but we have to use the chives (and chilli) as a garnish as the kids hate it. Steamed in stock then pan fry one side like a gyoza and serve with steamed bok choy with sesame oil.

Last edited:

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Your one sure look pretty good.

I will keep an eye out for premade wrappers next shop visit. Our ones didn't come out bad but version 2 might be better.

After having the Din Tai Fung dumplings and others from places that make them for a living then you realise that you have a bit of catching up to do :)

Make a dip with soy sauce, soy paste (if you have that) plus chili and garlic paste (Lee Kum Kee brand is the one to get). Add some chopped shallots and you are done. You can make a less and more spicy dip to suit the family.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I did a reprise of the stuffed chicken breast with a couple of minor changes. I cut the end off the breast to keep it as close to the same size as possible. Then only cut the end to ram the stuffing in. Stuffing was garlic and chopped spinach wedged between a couple of slices of brie. Then I dusted the whole lot with potato starch/paprika then wrapped that in bacon. Pinned the bacon to the breast with a couple of toothpicks which also closed the slit. Then fried this off on the griddle and into the oven at 180C for 20 minutes. Served on a bed of mashed pumpkin/sweet potato. Added some green beans to offset the flavours and it was very good. An added bonus was I did the chicken and it sat in the fridge for about an hour before cooking so the garlic had a chance to do its thing. Really worth a go...

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
This will divide a bit of opinion in the workplace tomorrow. We have a rolling winter soup kitchen on Friday's where we take it in turns to bring in a pot. All of the standard recipes have come out so I've gone for something different. Let me present a leek, onion, stout, cheese and rye bread German special. Apparently it was served for breakfast back in the day!