The cooking thread

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Track day Sat, sat on a picnic rug under the gazebo eating the last of the char siu on seeded rolls. Many jealous looks...

Tuscan chicken and roast vegetables tonight.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
I was going to leave the pork shoulder for two days but when I opened the fridge it said cook me now!

Air fried at 210C for 10 mins, turn over, pour on some more marinade, another 10 minutes, then drizzle some honey, 210C for 2 mins and repeat on the other side.

It was yum. Well half was, that is 1.2kg of char siu...

Fark that looks good!

stirk

Burner
I was going to leave the pork shoulder for two days but when I opened the fridge it said cook me now!

Air fried at 210C for 10 mins, turn over, pour on some more marinade, another 10 minutes, then drizzle some honey, 210C for 2 mins and repeat on the other side.

It was yum. Well half was, that is 1.2kg of char siu...

Looks great! When I cook shoulder it takes over 5 hours low and smokin' slow and the meat is fall apart tender. Whats the texture with a fast cook?

stirk

Burner
Saturday night was smoked baby backs, so tender.

4 hours at 130°. Large jacket Sebago potato in foil for the duration turned out super creamy and tasted like they were covered in butter but it was just pure potato, maybe the long low cook time made them like this, will definitely do potato low and slow but always in foil, smoking them is just too much on top of smoked meat.

I also made a batch of IPA while smoking dinner.

Making Beer and BBQ is a happy place!

PXL_20210612_094322665_copy_1546x944.jpg

A week earlier beef eye fillet smoked in the Weber go anywhere. Have the fire on one side to sear and then move the fillet to the side where there is no fire, throw on the wood chips close the lid till done, rare to medium rare, about 30 min for this large cut. Best eye fillet ever cooked this way.

PXL_20210604_085940787_copy_1197x923.jpg

stirk

Burner
Chicken ramen tonight, it was awesome.

And yes it does look like @pink poodle

PXL_20210615_083340580_copy_2016x1512.jpg

I don't follow recipes but loosely and in some order...

The broth is home made stock made with raw chicken cage, green top of leek and the leafy part of a celery. Don't throw out the green top of leeks, perfect to eat and make a good stock in place of onion.

Add some soy, mirin and sake to the stock when reduced, about a 5 hour job that looks after itself.

About an hour from finishing the stock add some ginger and garlic and a sliced white onion.

Add noodles to broth within time for serving.

Marinade the chicken in soy mirin and sake for a couple of hours, I used breast though I'm normally a thigh man but if you are confident to achieve a juicy breast it's great. Fry that sucker to perfect and turn and baste that breast to amp up the flavour and allow 10 minutes rest before serving the soup.

Ramen eggs Google it and good luck. I use 600g per dozen eggs, at room temp (~20°C) into boiling water for 5 1/2 minutes and straight into cold water. I only wish I had marinated the eggs too but didn't have time.

Garnish with stuff.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Had some friends around last night for some wine and food around the firepit. It was crazy windy so the last bit didn't happen and we revisited the wine and food on the verandah.

Food was various nibbles and antipasto and some potato and sweet potato wedges and kebabs.

Visitors included a vegetarian, vegan, a couple of glutards and some normal people. Instead of pre-making the kebabs up on skewers I just chopped up the veges and marinated and chopped the meats and put these out on dishes for everyone to make up their own mix of ingredients. Vegan stuff on one plate, meats on 3 others and haloumi on yet another so as to not contaminate what I was going to eat... As the skewering is what takes lots and lots of time this was a really good option. The process was successful, everyone was happy to make a couple of kebabs, cook them on the bbq and then go back for more and different combinations. This worked so well I will never premake these things again. So easy for people to do their own combos. Surprised by who did just meat kebabs with nothing else and non vegos going for a full veg option along the way.

Veges were the usual mix of a couple of mushrooms, capsicums, onion and cherry tomatoes. And two varieties of chilli. All raw and unadulterated.
Meats were: Chinese five spice/Hoisin chicken breasticles, Pork fillet in honey/soy/garlic and a dry rubbed beef rump in a bourbon/ginger mix. All left to percolate for about 6 hours in the fridge. Meats were pretty much 25.4mm cubes.
And of course two varieties of haloumi (one was chilli haloumi).

Some chilli infused oil and soy to add to the mix.

Enough left over for a stirfry for dinner tonight and some beef/pork kebabs for luncheon today.

stirk

Burner
Pho last night was more than epic.

PXL_20210619_092307357_copy_1612x1209.jpg

Tonight is soft tacos.

TIP: Half masa and half wheat flour I think turns out the best. Full masa tortillas are quite a challenge to get pliable and not ending up breaking when folded, they key with 100% masa tortillas is quality masa but I've not figured out the secret formula. Now these bad boys take a loooong time to make.

PXL_20210620_074436135_copy_1272x1041.jpg

Norco Maniac

Is back!
Tuna Bake for tea tonight - Don't tell the missus I am going to use Full Cream milk instead of light skim long life trash milk
I still cook my version of childhood tuna mornay but mine has turmeric, black pepper, butter, cheddar cheese and all the full fat options. You don't get to 56 years of age as a woman and have pretty much no facial wrinkles without stupid expensive skin care routines, unless you eat well and don't buy into bullshit "diet" restrictions.

stirk

Burner
I still cook my version of childhood tuna mornay but mine has turmeric, black pepper, butter, cheddar cheese and all the full fat options. You don't get to 56 years of age as a woman and have pretty much no facial wrinkles without stupid expensive skin care routines, unless you eat well and don't buy into bullshit "diet" restrictions.
More butter makes butter taste better!

Minlak

custom titis
Mine is super simple too - brown some butter add some flour to make a rue - cook off onion - peas - carrots - corn - garlic - add milk (full fat) - chilli flakes - Dijon mustard - nutmeg - vintage sharp cheddar cheese - pasta - tuna - put in baking dish - add cheese to top and brown.
This makes us about 6 meals worth :) (3 x 2)