The cooking thread

Norco Maniac

Is back!
Mine is super simple too - brown some butter add some flour to make a rue - cook off onion - peas - carrots - corn - garlic - add milk (full fat) - chilli flakes - Dijon mustard - nutmeg - vintage sharp cheddar cheese - pasta - tuna - put in baking dish - add cheese to top and brown.
This makes us about 6 meals worth :) (3 x 2)
I braise broccoli, sweetcorn, carrots, cauliflower, zuccini, and red capsicum in the oil from the tuna tin with onions, fish sauce and garlic, then add the tuna, some butter, milk and cornflour, grated cheddar cheese, turmeric and black pepper. Once that's thickened it goes over noodles or rice. One can of tuna = about 2/3 meals in this house, hubs eats like a starving wolverine :D

Minlak

custom titis
Today’s effort was a really basic beef korma and coconut rice - fucked the rice up wasn’t as nice as it could have been just didn’t think properly when making it. But the Korma will be nicer for tea again in a couple of days.
It really is worth the effort of finding quality meats for this type of stuff - went to an actual butcher and got grass fed shin - cooked for 4 hrs ish all of the smaller pieces fell apart during cooking.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
What's the right way to do coconut rice?

Trying a green curry tomorrow and coconut rice would go well.

Minlak

custom titis
What's the right way to do coconut rice?

Trying a green curry tomorrow and coconut rice would go well.
I used a full can of coconut cream I should have used half a can and water. I just forgot how to do it :)

In rice cooker 1 cup of rice (washed) - 1 cup of coconut cream (this is one place I use the light version) - 1 cup of water - cook rice - optional stir through a spoon or 2 of coconut cream just before you serve the rice.
That’s how I usually make it for big stock standard - you can add other things if you want.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
1 cup of coconut cream (this is one place I use the light version) - 1 cup of water
Is this where you wanted to use only half of each? (Water and coconut cream?) Or is this the correct ratio?

And what type of rice is recommended?

Minlak

custom titis
Is this where you wanted to use only half of each? (Water and coconut cream?) Or is this the correct ratio?
This is the correct ratio - I thought I was being smart and making it creamier using all full cream coconut cream - made it a sickly grey color and too over powering in flavour.

Minlak

custom titis
Tonight was beef stroganoff from scratch (as in not a packet mix - I didn’t have to plant a cow and grow it first)
Came out really good but then of course I messed up the pasta - got lazy and used dried stuff and didn’t cook it properly - should have just made my own it’s not that hard and would have been way nicer.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Tonight ill be eating a simple caserole. Beef, carrot, mushroom, tomatos and paste, healthy amount of red wine and stock and simmer all afternoon. Served on mashed potato with roast pumpkin and paprika brussel sprouts. I do enjoy slow winter weekends at home.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Brake pads for dinner........ again.

My Ute canopy gets so overwhelmed with the fumes of various fuels and oils, that I have to decontaminate brakes more often than lube the chain.

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
In addition to Warrigal greens, any budding cooks, gardeners or homebrewers wanting some hop rhizomes at cost of shipping? Or free if collecting. I've got Chinook, Cluster and Cascade up for grabs.