The cooking thread

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
All this egg talk got me wondering...do I have time to roast some pork loin? The answer was yes, yes I do. This one had a sizeable layer of fat, so I skinned it and scored the fat like one would with a ham. A little salt on the top with fennel seeds + dry herbs + salt on the bottom and in the oven it went. Added some fennel seeds and sesame seeds and a little maple syrup about half way through. The maple need up a little over done by the end, but flavour was on point. Meat was super tender, almost ready to pull. Next time I do this I'll seal it up for a while and steam it, then finish high and go for a golden top.

I also put that skin to work and ot some crackle so crackly a friend of mine could hear me eat it in the other room! I was a little worried I was going to break a tooth.

IMG_20221215_172910389~3.jpg
IMG_20221215_175732660~4.jpg

Someone has twerked the file size again, so had to cut these lense based works of art down so much to fit them on the screen ....

Flow-Rider

Burner
All this egg talk got me wondering...do I have time to roast some pork loin? The answer was yes, yes I do. This one had a sizeable layer of fat, so I skinned it and scored the fat like one would with a ham. A little salt on the top with fennel seeds + dry herbs + salt on the bottom and in the oven it went. Added some fennel seeds and sesame seeds and a little maple syrup about half way through. The maple need up a little over done by the end, but flavour was on point. Meat was super tender, almost ready to pull. Next time I do this I'll seal it up for a while and steam it, then finish high and go for a golden top.

I also put that skin to work and ot some crackle so crackly a friend of mine could hear me eat it in the other room! I was a little worried I was going to break a tooth.

View attachment 395327View attachment 395328

Someone has twerked the file size again, so had to cut these lense based works of art down so much to fit them on the screen ....
I was hoping to see patched eggs, but good job.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
All right you crackly hungry freaks, it's time for ham! Triple smoked and glazed, so sit back and get baked...or throw in some suggestions.

I'm doing a bit of a family feast this year with super gran, a few of her siblings, and my mother. These guys don't really eat much meat and I'll be the only ham lover there as best I can tell. So I have gone for a small cut of ham for myself with the intention of glazing it up and living off it post Christmas. Given that I won't be confined by glaze conventions and most of my families desire for normal I plan on doing something a little adventurous...

Maple syrup, garlic, lime, chili, coriander, salt, and smoked paprika. I did give some consideration to honey+soy rather than maple, so if you are thinking that for the win it isn't too late. I just love the way maple syrup tastes. I'll book down the maple and then infuse it for a few days before straining it off and getting me lazy on.

Anyone else in the process of getting their glaze on?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Painters have finished. It's time to ham.

I had a last minute change of heart yesterday and the glaze is now honey + soy with garlic, chili, coriander, and lime. I am pretty pleased with how it tasted last night. It's had a night in the fridge to infuse and await bake time.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Painters have finished. It's time to ham.

I had a last minute change of heart yesterday and the glaze is now honey + soy with garlic, chili, coriander, and lime. I am pretty pleased with how it tasted last night. It's had a night in the fridge to infuse and await bake time.
Are you using fresh or dried coriander? I though it would go bitter during cooking if fresh for some reason...

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Stems and roots go in the paste, leaves are saved for finishing.
yes but if there was to be ANY bitterness from cooking, it would be from an excess of coriander seed, not the green part of the plant. Or unless you're one of those genetic freaks that cant handle coriander.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Are you using fresh or dried coriander? I though it would go bitter during cooking if fresh for some reason...
Fresh! But not cooked as such...

I made up the glaze on the stove top (simmered down the honey and soy with a garlic cloves), added the line juice and chilies for a bit more simmering, then when it reduced as far as I thought was a good idea it came off the heat and in went the coriander. That all went in the fridge overnight and today I ran it through a sieve before lazing with just the juice.

House smelling good so far, 15 minutes in.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
IMG_20221221_182318260~3.jpg

While I got a couple of perhaps caramelized spots, overall I am very pleased with the ham! Sure it could be more picturesque with some adornments (like the year I made fish scales out of pineapple rings) but the colour, texture, and flavour is sensational. I threw a few fennel seeds on for the look.