The cooking thread

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
In my first job as an adult person I was posted to the Melbourne (head) office for two months mid winter as a grad program thing and run an R&D project. The office and workshops were in Sunshine. But it didn't for the whole two months. I did see the sun twice on weekends at golfing venues not in Melbourne...
...anyway the Engineering Director was a large, big, huge, fucking obese man. The first month I ate with the workers in the workers' canteen. Fitted in well in oily greasy overalls. Until said Director spotted me, then it was lunch in the exec cafeteria (true naming of both) with other staff. I sat with Herr Director for the next month, which meant getting changed out of working clothes into suit and tie or equivalent, then changing back etc.

The Director would eat 3 courses every day. Meals were huge. He would have two slices of thick white bread with soup and another two with main meal. Each slice copped three of those packets of butter that are supposedly single serves. Made me ill watching him.

Anyway he died of a heart attack a year or so later.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
those packets of butter that are supposedly single serves. Made me ill watching him.

Anyway he died of a heart attack a year or so later.
The stuff in those packs isn't butter, the packs themselves aren't big enough to list what is actually in there...butter should only have two ingredients.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Had a bit of time to cook today...

Slow roasted pork neck (fennel seed, seasame seed, smoked paprika, garlic, salt rub) with roasted potatoes, charred brussel sprouts, and creamy mushroom sauce. It was fairly tasty. Shitty photo:

I also rendered up some syrups for drinks. I wanted to try a few funky ideas for work without the hassles of being at work. There's a raspberry syrup, pineapple cinnamon, pomegranate syrup, and a cherry syrup. Shitty photo of the pineapple in early stages:

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Roast lamb, potato/filo pie (‘tato slices cooked in milk and Greek yoghurt, and chucked a little bit of dried dill tips inside the pastry before adding the ‘tatoes), roast sweet potato, and steamed beans/broccoli/brussel sprouts…

I am now rather full and contented. :)

ausdb

Being who he is
How fucking good are brussel sprouts!
Can I quote that to my kids?
I think they are a vegetable that you learn to appreciate with age as I remember hating them as a kid as well, but I quite enjoy them now. The fact that vegetables were always served as boiled to the bejesus probably had a bit to do with it as well.... Tender crisp then sauteed were foreign words to my mum.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Can I quote that to my kids?
I think they are a vegetable that you learn to appreciate with age as I remember hating them as a kid as well, but I quite enjoy them now. The fact that vegetables were always served as boiled to the bejesus probably had a bit to do with it as well.... Tender crisp then sauteed were foreign words to my mum.
There isn't much that a little butter, garlic, and salt can't fix...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
@pink poodle Umm, yes looks like I was having a senior moment there.
Easy...Dale often posts good looking stuff with a recipe.

The beef was just 1 litre of beef stock (I'm hell lazy and used the litre of masel from super market) with lots of garlic onion celery and dry mixed herbs. Cook it in the slow cooker until it is almost ready to fall apart (this was about 8 hours) then turn it off and leave the meat in there for an hour or three to absorb the juices as it cools.

The pork was a little trickier.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
I've tried a few different ways of cooking corned beef but always go back to my mum's.

Rinse the beef under cold water then put it in a pot of cold water. Bring the pot to a good boil and let it go for about 30 seconds. Throw that water away and it gets rid of a bit of the salt and most of the scum that forms while it cooks. Put it back in some fresh water but just enough to cover it and a carrot, an onion and a few bay leaves, go low and slow. A pressure cooker is an option for speeding things up.
When the meat is nearly done throw in the carrots you will actually eat, not just use for flavour and your spuds.
While the vegies are cooking melt some butter in a pot and add some plain flour to make a roux, add milk and some of the cooking liquid to make it into the sauce. I'm a fan of hot mustard so I let the sauce cool a bit before I add it, if you prefer a milder mustard cook it with the sauce and let the heat wreck it.
About a year ago I got caught short cooking at a mate's place and didn't have my bay tree. I went bush tucker and swapped it for lemon scented tea tree. It was a worthwhile experiment.