The cooking thread

cammas

Seamstress
Been a while since I made quiche for the family so I made a couple tonight, first one is bacon, onion and mushrooms the mushrooms rose to the top so it looks burnt but its not. The second one is is as above with chicken, spinach and feta added.

Then there was left over pastry so I made a tart with jam and fruit, we will be having this for dessert with some ice cream. This was one of the first things I learnt to bake as kid with my grandmother, it’s been a while since I’ve made one brought back some memories. I pepped mine up a bit with different berries mixed through and a sprinkling of hemp seeds to add a little nutty flavour.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
It may be my Welsh heritage (I'm a first gen Aussie) but i use onions like a vegetable. If you find them a bit overpowering, slice and soak in water for an hour then drain. Your immune system benefits :)

Norco Maniac

Is back!
So freaking organised!!! Well done.

If onion isn't a vegetable, what is it?
Have to be organised because after a day on my feet grooming, then home/shower/call clients it's 7:30 (my cutoff time) and then cooking, no thanks. I'd prefer to have eaten by 6pm.

Onion is regarded as an additive for flavour, rather than a vegetable in it's own right. But my peasant Welsh heritage says it's cheese and onion sandwiches for lunch then cabbage and onion soup for dinner :)

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Tony's love of onions goes waaaay back. When Tony first started surfing he asked one of the older guys how he got all the girls staring at him when he was wearing speedoes on the beach. He said to Tony the trick is to put a couple of medium to large onions in there. Next weekend he gave that a try but all the girls all ran away. Tony went up to the older fella and said why doesn't it work for me. The bloke said put the onions in the front, the front Tony.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)

Home-made pie. Filling is lamb, stripped and cut into chunks from lamb shanks, with champignons, chopped dried figs, chopped green beans, pumpkin (cooked so long it dissolved) and a little gravy. Topping is mashed potatoes and leeks sauted in butter, with a little sour cream mashed in. All housed in shortcrust pastry.

Did steamed broccolini and carrot with honey and mustard glaze, and steamed corn as sides.

Was a bit of pfaffing about, but it all came up good so I was happy. I also took mercy on myself and had made the pie filling ahead, so only had to do the mash, pastry and veggie sides after work today.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
That'll easily last a week in the fridge...next seven days dinner sorted;)
Except I've already got a bunch of veg in the fridge and some (already chunky diced) beef to turn into a curry later in the week. ;)