The cooking thread

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Made this tonight, found it scrolling through the recipes. Needs chilli, I added another whole chilli otherwise add pepper on top if chilli isn't your thing, you sad sad person. Photo was an afterthought after testing for quality and chilli testing.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I went shopping for some pork fillet to make sweet & sour. Instead I bought a premade bulgogi pork fillet... Meant to be cooked in one piece then cut. That worried me a bit because bulgogi is typically thinly sliced before marinating. Anyway I cut the fillet into 3mm wide slices and trimmed off some fat and sinew and made up another 1/4 cup of marinade to soak the pork in. Set off the rice cooker and when that was done stir fried the pork. It was bloody delicious. Flavour as good as I have had in a proper Korean place though yet to try the version in @Minlak ville.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
How many slices did you get from the fillets at 3mm? I hope more than the three photographed.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Fridge is pretty bare. Chef sent me home with a pile of food yesterday, none of it healthy! But his fried chicken and apple turnovers are fucking nice.

Anyway I am not ready emotionally to join the masses at any local grocery store yet, so...time to rummage in the freezer! Oh my is that half a turkey? Left in there since Christmas? Challenge accepted.

stirk

Burner
Nice cooking @Dales Cannon.

This probably belongs in the f'wits thread.

I made a lamb ragu tonight which included making the pasta from scratch so a fair amount of effort. I went to get the parmesan cheese and usually have good parmesan but alas had ran out and could only find the long life dried Kraft powered cheese in the fridge so it was a little disappointing and I couldn't use it. I've only just recently bought the powered parmesan for nostalgic reasons remembering it as a kid. Never again!!

Jpez

Down on the left!
WTF yum! I love stuffed veg. My mum is Lebanese so this meal is familiar to me as a kid. I'll server it to my kids, at least they'll eat the filling.
I was lucky enough to have a Greek mate when I was about ten. Every time I walked in their house mama bear would do the Mediterranean “you so skinny you need to eat!” And force feed me stuffed cabbage and dolmade and other Greek delights I couldn’t even name. etc.

Last edited:

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Firstly, Mrs takes the credit for this okonomiyaki - Japanese pizza- which is always a fan favourite here.

Very simple to make, almost too simple, and only needs a few ingredients. I get my chance to make them but mine just don't look as good. There is bit of technique to cook it, like flipping it properly without getting it all over the kitchen.

I could sink a few of these all by myself if I had the chance. Bargearse watch out.

20210813_173452.jpg

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Firstly, Mrs takes the credit for this okonomiyaki - Japanese pizza- which is always a fan favourite here.

Very simple to make, almost too simple, and only needs a few ingredients. I get my chance to make them but mine just don't look as good. There is bit of technique to cook it, like flipping it properly without getting it all over the kitchen.

I could sink a few of these all by myself if I had the chance. Bargearse watch out.

View attachment 378842
Osaka or Hiroshima style? My Nihon mates called them Jqpanese pancakes.