The Bunya Thread

JoelFitz

Likes Dirt
Hey all, I wanted to ask some other riders for a bit of advice on Bunya..

I feel like I do OK overall there and yes comparing myself with Strava to others (shame on me), but I suck particularly bad at one segment - Zig Zag which I do in the 1.30s.

Where the top guys are doing it in the 50s.. That isn't like oh yeah I can improve by 10 or 20%, it's like 40% quicker over such a short distance. What the hell are those quick guys doing??

Some tracks out there I can see with some more pedalling and improved skills I could improve reasonable amount and get myself where i'd be proud to be on the leader board..
But that zig zag track seems something else, it's not even that technical, some switchbacks and small root & log drops etc. I average 18km, but the quicker ones are around 30km!

Interested in feedback, especially if any of you on here are those quick ones?? I'm not trying to be no.1 but I like seeing these particular gaps as where I need to improve, this one seriously so.

Cheers
Joel

Last edited:
G'day JoelFitz, you are certainly not alone in your thinking. I'm often left scratching my head at some of the times people spit out especially in Bunya.

I might note though that more often than not I'll join a conversation that goes something like, a friend of a friend has this acquaintance from work, who swears he watched his mate lay down a super fast time. Now while I'm not a cynical man in any regard, even I can't bring my relatively positive mindset around to the thinking that what i'm hearing is the 100% truth haha. Of coarse it is entirely possible that the times are old, or at least old enough to be outdated by changes in the track.

In regards to the times for zigzag I can't really comment without you first mentioning which number trail is assigned to 'zigzag.'

An overall blanket response to the faster times especially in Bunya could be changes in the trail layout. There have been quite a few trail working days in Bunya lately, possibly cut/cheat lines have been removed, or new lines added forcing you to take the switchbacks thus lengthening the trail.

Blake

geoff_tewierik

Likes Dirt
The way they're recording their ride, be it GPS or phone, will be a good reason as to why the times will differ more than you think normally possible.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Hi Joel,

Just checked my times for ZigZag. Best is 1:04 but I only have two times under 1:30. The top 24 results all being 1:37 or lower.

If I'm on 1:04 I am generally not surprised if Aido or Forbes etc. have a 50s time. Those dudes are just fast irrespective of whether a track if uphill or technical.

But in saying that, Strava does some dodgy things, particularly on short twisty segments. Don't feel too depressed :Cry: