The BMX Race thread.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Norco, that's a very big off. I've just started but can't you have your results relegated and other disciplinary action for deliberate tboning?
Challenge is in proving it. If the other party went down first and second party has to take evasive action to avoid subsequent incident then even more so.

Welcome to BMX racing.

PS. Empathise and hope you are on the mend Norco.

Last edited:

Crimson

Likes Dirt
Wow, it's been quiet in here.

As part of the organising committee, I figured I'd let put the word out here on Rotorburn that the dates for 2016 have been set in case there was anyone from interstate that was looking to travel for what is (imho) the best week of racing in Australia.

January 9th - Eastfield
January 10th - South Eastern
January 12th - Lilydale (evening)
January 14th - Frankston (evening)
January 16th - Park Orchards
January 17th - Knox

Norco Maniac

Is back!
Norco, that's a very big off. I've just started but can't you have your results relegated and other disciplinary action for deliberate tboning?

I bought a race cruiser at the end of last year as a play bike for riding with the kids etc, and decided I'd go give the race thing a go, just doing club races at the moment. I'm having fun but coming last, I'll get better I hope !
Challenge is in proving it. If the other party went down first and second party has to take evasive action to avoid subsequent incident then even more so.

Welcome to BMX racing.

PS. Empathise and hope you are on the mend Norco.
that's it exactly, the challenge is in proving it especially as i was able to take evasive action when she tried to t-bone me. thanks for the well-wishes, i'm as much mended as i'm going to be i'd say, using Powerbend bars on the Retro bike is helping me with extra grip. still on flats on the new school too just in case.

she got hit by the Karma bus in May last year, had a big off at her home club and doesn't race any more.

yesterday i did both mixed Retro and Ladies Open Wheel at our local clubby, first time back at two classes since the injury, and survived! legs didn't like it, had nothing left in each moto after the second straight. shitty cold and damp conditions too, youngest rider was 13, oldest bar me was 40. :heh:

Norco Maniac

Is back!
two classes three Sundays in a row :crazy: i must be nuts! getting condition back slowly tho :happy: and at least i have a great chiro working with me, cheap treatments too.

DJR

Likes Dirt
Nice. I cracked my pelvis (ischium) 2 weeks ago farting about on the track at gate practice, just unlucky the angle i landed at. Been bedridden and walking frame for the past 2 weeks, but limping around a bit today and keen to get back into it.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
Nice. I cracked my pelvis (ischium) 2 weeks ago farting about on the track at gate practice, just unlucky the angle i landed at. Been bedridden and walking frame for the past 2 weeks, but limping around a bit today and keen to get back into it.
good physio for that will be wading in a pool with ankle weights, as soon as you're cleared.

i stacked it big time in practice Sunday before last, pumping down the back ramp of a step-up triple, went to pedal and slipped straight off the front. had enough time to think "this is gonna hurt!" and bang, down on my right elbow, hip, head, blacked out, winded. another ten days off the bike just as i was gaining confidence.

must put up some of the bruise photos, they're rather spectacular :)

redbruce

Eats Squid
Happy 30th birthday to Park Orchards BMX.

A great celebration yesterday and good to see some old faces there (although I was the oldest rider by a fair bit).

I'm still stiff from my first time back on the Cruiser since 2009 (wasn't game to risk a 20").

MTB fitness is clearly different from BMX fitness!

Last edited:

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
What is going on with Argy track? (Newcastle/Lake Macquarie for those not in the know.)
They got a big grant from the state gov and the track is being rebuilt from scratch with a 5m start hill. Pretty sure the first 2 straights are UCI spec'd not sure about the rest but the track will run backwards from before.. Reckon first clubby will be in Jan...... Should be pretty schmick :)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
They got a big grant from the state gov and the track is being rebuilt from scratch with a 5m start hill. Pretty sure the first 2 straights are UCI spec'd not sure about the rest but the track will run backwards from before.. Reckon first clubby will be in Jan...... Should be pretty schmick :)
oooooooooh. I had assumed a rebuild of some sort, this sounds good. Hopefully they have something for those of us not up to UCI standard.

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
oooooooooh. I had assumed a rebuild of some sort, this sounds good. Hopefully they have something for those of us not up to UCI standard.
Just a bit of tweeking here and there :) I'm pretty sure they'll have everyone covered.., question is, are they going to keep the hole in the fence or will it get an upgrade to bricks and barb wire.... hahaha. Pics are from their FB page.

12246790_1018630171530852_8680028238815293087_n.jpg12249588_1018630151530854_444484903634209659_n.jpg12249799_1018630204864182_1374981584112522385_n.jpg12278882_1018630184864184_4673140315267760322_n.jpg

OLIVER132

Likes Bikes
wanted BMX race bike

I'm new to the sport of BMX racing and I'm looking for a few pointers. I have absolutely no idea on where i can find decent bikes for sale and would like to no what you guys would recommend buying and how much i should spend. Are there any threads or forums that i can go onto that have a classifieds section?

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
I'm new to the sport of BMX racing and I'm looking for a few pointers. I have absolutely no idea on where i can find decent bikes for sale and would like to no what you guys would recommend buying and how much i should spend. Are there any threads or forums that i can go onto that have a classifieds section?
The main page on facebook where pretty much everyone uses is BMX GEAR FOR SALE. As for what you should buy & how much you should spend really depends on you(how long is a ball of string). You could get a bike for a few hundred or spend more than 2K for just a wheel set. Although top end BMX is still alot cheaper than MTB,, hehe. There is also alot of stuff for sale at the bigger meets like Opens as well as clubs. See if you can pop down to some of the local clubs on their gate nights or clubbies and see what people are riding and what's around. You'll get alot of questions answered and might even get to test ride a couple of bikes. Racers are a friendly bunch :)

OLIVER132

Likes Bikes
The main page on facebook where pretty much everyone uses is BMX GEAR FOR SALE. As for what you should buy & how much you should spend really depends on you(how long is a ball of string). You could get a bike for a few hundred or spend more than 2K for just a wheel set. Although top end BMX is still alot cheaper than MTB,, hehe. There is also alot of stuff for sale at the bigger meets like Opens as well as clubs. See if you can pop down to some of the local clubs on their gate nights or clubbies and see what people are riding and what's around. You'll get alot of questions answered and might even get to test ride a couple of bikes. Racers are a friendly bunch :)
righto thanks for the help. I race a lot of Motocross and do you know if i can just use my gear from that?

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
Yes, alot of the kit that is used is from moto. It's pretty flexible with people just starting up. Alot of clubs run a novice class in their clubbies and you don't need a race bike to start, just a bike. Basically, you just need a bike, full face helmet, gloves, long sleeve shirt and long pants. Clubs will generally have spare full face helmets and jerseys you can borrow for the day. This gives you the chance to try racing for a bit before you commit the $$$$$. There's also the "Come n try" days. You can take out a 4mth open license and this will allow you to race and do gates at any club in Aust. Just look up your local club and give them a call or pop into one of their gate nights. They'll sort you out. If you're round the North Shore/Nth beaches of Syd, let me know.

OLIVER132

Likes Bikes
Yes, alot of the kit that is used is from moto. It's pretty flexible with people just starting up. Alot of clubs run a novice class in their clubbies and you don't need a race bike to start, just a bike. Basically, you just need a bike, full face helmet, gloves, long sleeve shirt and long pants. Clubs will generally have spare full face helmets and jerseys you can borrow for the day. This gives you the chance to try racing for a bit before you commit the $$$$$. There's also the "Come n try" days. You can take out a 4mth open license and this will allow you to race and do gates at any club in Aust. Just look up your local club and give them a call or pop into one of their gate nights. They'll sort you out. If you're round the North Shore/Nth beaches of Syd, let me know.
so i would be able to ride my freestyle bmx for now? also does it matter if i buy a 24inch or 20inch bike?

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
Yes you can race on the freestyle, prob for as long as you want to. The biggest difference is race bikes are purpose built for speed and go way faster. If you're just doing it for a bit of fun there's no probs, but if you want to be competitive you'll need a race bike.

20 or 24in..... now you're opening up a can of worms :) Really, it's up to personal preference. 20 are faster and 24 more stable(that why they're call cruisers). Prob like the difference between an F1 car and a Bathurst supercar. I came from MTB and only went to BMX when my kids started racing. I got a cruiser first, and it was fast and scary but I always felt like I just couldn't get enough drive etc. Then I built up a 20...... massive difference.... and F A S T!!!! Absolutely love the 20. But that's just me.... haha :)

Just race on your freestyle bike and test out some of the 20s & 24s at your local. You'll work out pretty quick what you like.

OLIVER132

Likes Bikes
Yes you can race on the freestyle, prob for as long as you want to. The biggest difference is race bikes are purpose built for speed and go way faster. If you're just doing it for a bit of fun there's no probs, but if you want to be competitive you'll need a race bike.

20 or 24in..... now you're opening up a can of worms :) Really, it's up to personal preference. 20 are faster and 24 more stable(that why they're call cruisers). Prob like the difference between an F1 car and a Bathurst supercar. I came from MTB and only went to BMX when my kids started racing. I got a cruiser first, and it was fast and scary but I always felt like I just couldn't get enough drive etc. Then I built up a 20...... massive difference.... and F A S T!!!! Absolutely love the 20. But that's just me.... haha :)

Just race on your freestyle bike and test out some of the 20s & 24s at your local. You'll work out pretty quick what you like.
will i need to do any mods to my freestyle bike? like clip ons or something? will have to take anything off to be allowed to ride on the track?

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
will i need to do any mods to my freestyle bike? like clip ons or something? will have to take anything off to be allowed to ride on the track?
Take off any pegs if you got them. prob don't have them but bike stands, reflectors that stick out, that kind of stuff. You can race on flats. If you're brakeless you may need to put a brake on it. Just check with the club that you'll be racing at, they'll sort you out.

OLIVER132

Likes Bikes
Take off any pegs if you got them. prob don't have them but bike stands, reflectors that stick out, that kind of stuff. You can race on flats. If you're brakeless you may need to put a brake on it. Just check with the club that you'll be racing at, they'll sort you out.

Alright mate thanks for your help, is there anything else you think i should know?