The BMX Race thread.

parker93

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well, there seems to be a fair few people that race BMX here that seem to hang around in the 4X threads, so why not have a thread to ourselves?

This might not catch on due to minimal numbers but hopefully people can ask any questions in here that they need to as well as:

• Post your ride
  • What parts
  • Upcoming races/events
  • Training & Nutrition
  • General comments
  • and again, Questions
Go for your life!

Burrito_Boy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok, here's one for this thread.
And sorry, i know it sounds really really newbie haha.

I currently ride a 2007 (i think?) dk charger. I recently rode one of the current haro race frames, and it felt so much better than my dk. I find that on the dk, i'm like all over the front (even though its quite long). And to be honest, it doesn't feel stable or what not at all. Ive been riding it for a year or so, but still don't feel at home on it.

Currently rocking 8.5" rise, 28" wide bars with a cruiser stem to try and get the front end up, but to not much avail. Like if it was a dh bike, it would be like that you have too small forks on it....

Does anyone know what i mean? And could recommend any frame or the likes?

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
BB- Um so get the Haro?

Best way to tell is to go and try a bunch, geo doesn't always make sense in terms of what SHOULD fit or feel good. Especially having come from 4X/DH you're gunna feel comfortable on something different to someone who's always raced or ridden road, etc.

Geo wise, not alot looks similar to the Haro (certainly not in the price range either) Supercross Bolt LT looks fairly similar but it's probably the short CS on the Haro that feels so good (easy to manual) Actually, most similar geo that I know of would be the 04 Hemi Pro (Cs: 14.75, TT 20.75)

parker93

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You've done about all that you can with that, I think your best bet is (as mentioned above) Go buy a new frame or complete bike and go from there. Have a test ride of a few first.

I'm about 5"10 and I ride a Redline Flight Pro XXL which I think suits me perfectly and I had/have no trouble swapping between my 26"ers.

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
OH that sexy Redline Flight... how I wish they made it in a 20.5 :( devastated. Which club are you from??

parker93

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm from Canberra and local club is Melba. Have ridden the Tuggeranong track twice, but i'd still call it a home club I guess (kinda).

Entered in the MacArthur Madness and came off badly on the second last straight (all on my own, not that I remember) whilst coming second in the first moto of the day (feltq can back me up on this, and video footage to come! Yes!)... So devastated!

What about you hach? What bike have you got?

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bout time there was a bmx race thread!

Im coming back to do some racing after 10 years.. (before that raced for a number of years before wrecking my knee). Been riding Dh over the last couple years, but am going to build another bmx up as 4x just isnt the same. Not decided on 20” or just 24 cruiser class yet. Will see..

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Parker, Im in Brisbane and currently don't belong to a club! Looking at getting back in after 4 years out. Just pimping out the Kuwahara at the moment and when thecash permits, looking at an Envy frame to put my amazing new parts on hehe [new wheelset: 1.545 kilo- FOR BOTH WHEELS)

Evo, good on ya for getting back into it. Hoping your fitness isn't as terrible as mine because I know training for me after 4 years has been extremely painful haha but the DH would help :) best of luck mate

RB 24

Likes Dirt
hey guys,
it is great to see a race thread. I think that the mental change of getting on a race bmx to riding any other bike is very different and fun. Makes anything on 2 wheels awesome fun!

here is a pic of my youngest boy hitting up the Park Orchards (vic) pro jump. I freaked out a fair bit but third go and he cleared it.

parker93

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Look's like your kid has a lot of potential in this sport! How old is he?

Tell him congrats from me! That would take a lot of balls!

parker93

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Double Post, but whatever!

Looking for a cycle computer to see how much I can improve on certain areas.

I need:

• Heart Rate
  • Cadence
  • Speed
  • Two bike options
Looking at Polar CS200 CAD Computer?

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hey guys,
it is great to see a race thread. I think that the mental change of getting on a race bmx to riding any other bike is very different and fun. Makes anything on 2 wheels awesome fun!

here is a pic of my youngest boy hitting up the Park Orchards (vic) pro jump. I freaked out a fair bit but third go and he cleared it.

GO LITTLE SON!!!
What a champ! ;)

RB 24

Likes Dirt
thaks Parker.
the boys is 8 and he certainly loves his bmx riding!

as for the cycle computer anything from the higher end of Sigma have always been pretty good.

do you have a training program that can help you once you have pin pointed the area?

In Canberra arent you? Next time your at Tuggers hit up a bloke called Ryan Henderson.. see his grilfriend Ash and let her know you spoke to Trent from Knox and ask if he can give you any help...

Or hit up when Brett Scruse comes to town or Craig Fischer for some tips..
those boys handed me my ass at the ACT states this year. great blokes though.

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Burrito.. how do you find the slx cranks on the bmx? they stiff enough? any problems? also how heavy are you etc?

Also how is the chain line? any problems fitting them etc?

Looking to possibly use them on my new cruiser. There so damn cheap even compared to saints, and there supposed to still be pretty stiff.

Burrito_Boy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Burrito.. how do you find the slx cranks on the bmx? they stiff enough? any problems? also how heavy are you etc?

Also how is the chain line? any problems fitting them etc?

Looking to possibly use them on my new cruiser. There so damn cheap even compared to saints, and there supposed to still be pretty stiff.
Hey, the slx are good. I got them as my xt's had seen better days, and were beginning to be a little flexy. The slx are noticeable stiffer straight up, only a tiny bit heavier, and look pretty cool. They sill have a bit of give if you do power case something. I weigh around 70kgs, but to honest, unless your like 100kg+ you'd be hard pressed to wreck a set. I guess if you can do that too, you can get 2 sets for the price of saint?

As for fitting, they don't have perfect chainline, they have a similar chain line to saints, where its just a tiny bit off. Its not really that noticeable though, as for a 73mm bb you just run the 2 spacers off on the non drive side, and the cup just straight into the frame on the drive side.

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Parker: I believe sigma do HR but it'd be an extra add on. You'll get cadence from some of the 11 series but mostly in the 16's but they also sell cadence pods separately. So it'll set you back $160 on the unit plus HR. Stuff's never cheap. Though the coolest is Suunto's bike kit (but you've got to have a T series watch to start with) haha if you'd like to drool, google the T6 , it's nuts.

p.s order is in for new wheels and other parts, will do a PMR after I rebuild.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
hey. i'm Karan, i'm 46, and i'm back riding my cruiser after a break of 5 years or so. currently riding a (i think) '03 Norco Speed Metal 24", minor mods - Answer Alumlite forks, lower cruiser bars (Redline i think), X-drive 180 cranks, Tioga tyres, VP-133 cleat pedals. nothing fancy. looking to do a decent paint job (hate the black and yellow) and try out some 175 cranks to see if they work better than the 180's i've been riding with.

i've never spent much time on a bike, did States when they were local to us in '04 because i had two kids racing and i was divorcing, needed the anger management :p was really happy to place 4th among much younger women. after recent health issues and a chance to challenge my boyfriend, i'm back. i train on my home track 2x week just doing laps, increasing a lap every week (i'm up to 18 now) and do gates/racing on a Friday night.

nutrition-wise well i follow the Eat Right For Your Type diet, i'm a remedial therapist and reflexologist so nutrition is part of my training. i take Maca powder most days along with chromium supplements for insulin balance and weight loss. also doing some upper body light weights and mostly triceps/deltoid/core strength work.

upcoming races? well there's the Jacaranda Open in Grafton end of October. i'd like to think i'll be ready to ride it. then there's NSW v QLD State of Origin at my home track end of November. will definitely be riding that one, for my birthday :D

sorta kinda looking at buying a Kuwahara cruiser because i like the balance of the frame, being pretty short myself. but i'd welcome suggestions...

Attachments

Last edited:

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Karan (go girl!) like BB suggested above if you're looking to purchase new cranks, SLX's are a great combo of price, stiffness and weight. Or maybe ask around your track and see if anyone has a spare set you could try out prior to buying. How tall are you? You mentioned you were on the smaller side and 180 is a LONG crank (I'm 5'1" and ride 170's) Maybe even try a set of 170's unless you feel like you're not getting enough leverage from them.

Sounds like you've got your training and diet dialled too which is awesome!
Bit of a blast from the past for me though, I first learnt to jump on a Norco speed metal team (candy apple red!) =) They are a great series. I ride a Kuwahara currently (20 inch) and I'd recommend them for sure, they're not heavy and still good to the bank account.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
(I'm 5'1" and ride 170's) Maybe even try a set of 170's unless you feel like you're not getting enough leverage from them.
a loaner set is a good idea actually. i never really noticed it when i was last racing but i think i've got a lot more bike/body awareness now, and i feel i'm not getting a proper "spin" happening when i'm pedalling out of the corners. i'm about 5'3 or 5'4 depending on the weather lol

had a play on my other training partner's Kuwahara cruiser and he's about my height, running 175's. feels very different from my Norco but it also has skinny wheels and tyres, centre of gravity is about 2", maybe 3" lower as well. i'll just have to skill up so i can justify spending the $$ on a new bike :D