The Big Finish

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
Wow, thanks for that. Haven't heard One of these Days for ever. Meddle is an exceptional album & the Live from Pompeii video, which featured most of Meddle + embryonic Dark Side, is amazing. Tough call.

You're quite correct of course, best festival ever. With regards to Clutch, if you can remember if it was at Meredith or Golden Plains, you probably weren't at either.
Hahaha! Spoken like a true Meredith veteran. When I say I saw them, it really means I had a 5 minute patch of clarity, and vaguely remember seeing them! So many awesome bands I can't remember seeing at Meredith......but I know I was having fun, so that's all that counts. EDIT- My obsession with MMF is shown in my avatar pic, love that photo. Haven't missed one since '06!

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yeah, it sure is & if we were to be honest about big finishes there would be quite a few other amazing Pink Floyd songs worthy of mention. So thankful to have grown up listening to Pink Floyd- Dad had bloody good taste in music. Once they'd hit their stride after Syd's death they really did write & design music that was meant to be performed as a giant soundscape to a live audience. While I love all of Floyds work I could never really get into the pre-Gilmour period their music.

Yeah, I'm a monster for Clutch. Ridiculously talented band. Haven't caught them at a festival yet but I do make a point of getting to all of their side shows when they're in Melbourne. Their gig at The Palace late last year was off-tap, especially when they dropped Electric Worry/One Eye Dollar: beer & spittle flying through the air as the crowd convulsed & hollered through it all. Fucking rapturous!

Must have Clutch albums:
Elephant Riders
Blast Tyrant
Robot Hive:Exodus
From Beale St to Oblivion
Strange Cousins From the West
Earth Rocker
Didn't Syd only die a few years ago? Though you could argue he was a bit of a zombie for a long time...

Animals is my favored Floyd album.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Didn't Syd only die a few years ago? Though you could argue he was a bit of a zombie for a long time...

I thought he was living in Australia, posting on intermanet forums Anderson the alias Bermshot.

Yeah, you're absolutely right Poodle- mid 2000's. Had a brain fart & got my wires crossed with another amazing "could've been" in Keith Moon (The Who)- another self-destructive drummer of the era. I blame the hot & vocal discussion at work earlier in the day- Kings & Washouts of British Rock. Thank you for rightfully pulling me up.

Lynyrd Skynyrd's Simple Man definitely worthy of a Big Finish mention.

For me Animals is the most consistent album and therefore its probably my favorite

DSOM, Wall and Meddle all have brilliant tracks on them but lack that cohesiveness that compels me to play the whole album through. Saucer and Piper have some classics as well. Momentary i havent listened to for ever nor Division Bell.

On topic, Santana (not his latest gear) is good for a grande finale, so is Iron maiden.

Again both bands that are amazing live.

For me Animals is the most consistent album and therefore its probably my favorite

DSOM, Wall and Meddle all have brilliant tracks on them but lack that cohesiveness that compels me to play the whole album through. Saucer and Piper have some classics as well. Momentary i havent listened to for ever nor Division Bell.

On topic, Santana (not his latest gear) is good for a grande finale, so is Iron maiden.

Again both bands that are amazing live.
Much like for you I find Animals to be an incredibly prosaic album to kick back & listen to- particularly when I'm camped out alone, the sun's gone down & it's just you, the campfire & those glimmering pin-pricks in that eternal ink overhead. An album that definitely has a measured & consistent footprint across its entirety. I admittedly find it hard to pin down a single favourite Pink Floyd studio album- DSOM, Meddle, Animals & even Wish You Were Here (another that maintains a distinguishable flow like Animals does) all carry a similar weight of favour for me. They just made so much incredible music.

It's a long way short of being a fave but I've been surprised by how much Endless River has grown on me in the last few months.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I've got a bike you can ride if you like...not everything the produced was gold, but I do often find that the mood hits for their nonsensical early stuff.

As a high school boy live at donnington was my first taste of iron maiden. Definitely contained a big band big festival big crowd finish! I found that it made a lot of their studio stuff hard to listen to. The energy and boom factor wasn't there.

There is much to like in the early stuff

- set the controls for the heart of the sun
- interstellar over drive
- careful with that axe eugene
- astronomy domine

Big Finish bands = The Mars Volta

Big Finish Songs by Zappa

- The illinois enema bandit

- Zomby Woof (watch the Zappa plays zappa version on youtube)

The Zappa plays Zappa gig at the enmore (the first tour) was the best live gig I have ever seen, i will never witness a musical spectacle like that ever again, of that I am very sure.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Big Finish Songs by Zappa

- The illinois enema bandit

- Zomby Woof (watch the Zappa plays zappa version on youtube)

The Zappa plays Zappa gig at the enmore (the first tour) was the best live gig I have ever seen, i will never witness a musical spectacle like that ever again, of that I am very sure.
Willy the pimp. The whole 12 inches...with Tom Waits.

See the link everyone...Pink!
Nope.

Been falling asleep to Floyd almost every night since I started this thread.
They're certainly a nice way to slip off to sleep, Johnny. For a period I used to get night terrors as a child, between the age of 4 & 7, & my folks would recount stories of them being woken by my "blood-curdling screams & animalistic growling". They'd come in & flip the light on to find me standing in the corner of the bedroom clawing at the wall or under the bed ripping away at the base of my mattress as though I'd been buried etc. At one point I tore both the doors off the built-in cupboards in my room as a 6 year-old. I'd have absolutely zero recollection of it other than waking in the morning feeling sore & exhausted- no doubt distressing as hell for any parent. Given the isolation of where I grew up in Arnhem Land there was no sleep therapists or kiddie shrinks etc, so my parents did the best they could to manage my terrors. 18mths after the terrors started Mum & Dad resorted to Pink Floyd as a way of calming me through the night. They would quietly have Floyd playing in my bedroom to send me off to sleep- the old man went to Darwin & specifically bought a tape player that would automatically loop-play cassette tapes & he'd sit there putting together these awesome Pink Floyd compilations for me. Recently Dad made comment that he found it particularly surreal & eerie that as a 5yr my favourite song was Comfortably Numb- apparently I'd sing it pitch perfect & with a level of conviction that made it quite confronting & on a few occasions my renditions would hit such a nerve with my Mum that she'd have to leave the room to cry. Pretty fucked up stuff. I've never had any issues since that time, but I look back on it now & can only begin to imagine how that must've messed with their heads, terrified that I'd grow to be some fucked-up teen etc.

To this day I still semi-regularly put Pink Floyd on to fall asleep to, particularly whenever I'm going through a stressful period.

I'm not a religious man, but I do consider myself agnostic. And if I had to identify with an establishment/place of spiritual enrichment then yeah, Pink Floyd's the nearest thing to being my church.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
...I wonder if there were some specific tunes they steered clear of? Careful with that axe...One of these days...Groovin in cave with a pict (or whatever it is called).

Bermshot

Banned
...I wonder if there were some specific tunes they steered clear of? Careful with that axe...One of these days...Groovin in cave with a pict (or whatever it is called).
Yeah, grooving in a cave with a blue painted germanic/irish woman, hey!! that sounds alright.

several species of small furry animals gathered together in a cave and grooving with a pict

my kids always liked that one