The Beastiest of M6's - Riding but not finished...

nastylilweed

Likes Dirt
INTENSE M6 Spec List (Current)

Basic Frame
Frame - 2010 Intense M6 FRO (Beige)
Fork - 2011 Boxxer WC with 2012 Team internals
Shock - Manitou Revox - 450lb Spring

Drivetrain
Pedals - Straitline Flats
Cranks - Descendant 1.0
Chain Guide - E-Thirteen LG1
BB - Hope Ceramic Bearing
Bash Guard - Hope Lightbash
Rear Mech - 2012 X0 DH Specific
Cassete - OG1090 (11-28) 10 Speed

Cockpit
Stem - Answer Minus (Direct Mount)
Shifter - 2012 X0 10 Speed
Brakes (F) - 2012 XO 203mm Rotor
Brakes (R) - 2012 XO 203mm Rotor
Grips - ODI Ruffian Lock-On
Bars - Spank 777 Evo (777mm)
Seatpost - Crank Brothers Cobalt 2 (Soon to be Thompson Carbon)
Seat - SDGI Fly
Seat Clamp - Hope

Wheels and Tires
Tyre (F) - Maxxis Minion DHR UST Super Tacky 2.5"
Wheel (F) - Mavic EX823 on Hadley DH 32H Hubs
Tyre (R) - Maxxis High Roller UST Super Tacky 2 2.5"
Wheel (R) - Mavic EX823 on Hadley DH 32H Hubs

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hey everyone,

The name's Joe, I am fairly new to this site etc but spent a lot of time riding up in Toowoomba in the younger days and spent a few years off the bike due to uni and life in general. I have finally finished uni and bought myself a Scott Genius LT 30 with the aim of riding some good AM style trails etc. This very quickly turned into me buying an Intense M6 second hand due to the fact that i rode it up a hill about twice. (Genius current FS)

I have been doing a lot of riding since then and met a shitload of awesome people. I figured it would be cool to share the following experiences with the rest of the people who love what we all love!

phpThumb_generated_thumbnail.jpeg

Now this is where the fun part of this thread starts. The M6 continued to ruthlessly kill my knee (Multiply fractures and a badly torn ACL)... I will be requiring a full knee reco, which unfortunately puts me off a bike for at least 6 - 9 months.

576315_10150800862602443_993250851_n.jpg
Siiic knee brahhh...

Considering I have a fairly tidy M6 (My dream bike from the first time I saw one) sitting at the end of my bed (with plenty of time to look at it) I figured I might as well pull it down and build what I would call a Reasonably Priced Dream Bike. (RPDB from here on in)

So here is where it begins... Be prepared for me to get excited and drop cash on stuff just because I am bored haha. I also dabble in photography so be prepared for some random artsy shit and hopefully some good riding shots of guys I see out and about when I am hopping around on the trails with the pricks I call friends who can chose to ride. SO if you see a pedo looking guy who walks funny taking photos on a track feel free to do something awesome and you may find a picture in this thread between M6 build shots lol.

The current RPDB

M6_Background2.jpg

Intense M6

Shock - Manitou Revox - 450Lb Spring.
Forks - 2012 Boxxer Teams
Bars - Deity Black label (796mm)
Stem - Answer Direct Mount
Brakes - 2012 XO (F:200mm, R:200mm)
Shifter - 2010? XO 9 Speed
Derailleur - 2010 XO 9 Speed
Cassette - Sram 9 Speed
Cranks - Descendant
Wheels - Hadley's with Alexrims(?)
Tyres - F:Minion, R:High Roller 2
Pedals - Straitline Flats
Seatpost - Crank Brothers Cobalt 2
Seat - Something with the outer cut off it haha

The Aim

Where is this going? I guess you could say I hope to build an awesomely fun bike to ride that is just a little bit different - even a little bit Intense hahaha (that's the last time that will happen I promise)

So I am going to give myself a target $4000 neat to spend on this bike. 4K would probably buy you a mid range bike from just about any manufacturers, so I figured the definition of "Reasonably Priced" is exactly that. So taking into account that the original purchase price was $2300 that gives me $1700 to spend on making this a "Dream Bike".

There is already some pretty awesome gear on this thing so I figured the best place to start would be to pull down the frame (which was only built 8 months ago) and strip, polish and reassemble the frame itself before I get to excited about components.

Considering the ano red Hadley hubs and the X-Ray Red Straitline Pedals I am going to run with the polished alloy, black and ano / chrome red theme on the bike. Keeping with the Intense red, all the original decals will be getting redone in chrome red and black to match the ano red rims and other bits I have in mind...

So before anyone says that it will be too pretty to ride, note that I have nothing better to do with my time, and I am putting a fair bit of thought into what components and why as well as making a statement. Hopefully proving that 4k and a bit of know how and time can have you riding an absolutely balla bike.

Hopefully there will be progress soon!!!

Attachments

Last edited:

nastylilweed

Likes Dirt
haha thanks man, the shock i want is the Cane Creek Double Barrel. IT IS where it is at. And I have never heard anything but amazing stories about them so that will be where this is headed...

The seat will be simple and obscene. I like the idea of recovering it but I am a slave to branding on seats haha

nastylilweed

Likes Dirt
Haha sif... It's about to get busy being awesome!

So this kinda happened this monday raining afternoon.

IMG_2300.jpg

M6 in a box... just..

Dru-rides

Likes Dirt
knee problems

goos luck with the knee reco mate, i did the same thing doing some dirt jumping over tucked and hyper extended my knee snapping my acl, cracked the bone and also damaged all the tissue

had a knee reco and was in bed for 6 weeks then a fair few others in a walking frame/ crutches
the waiting time is a pain in the ass but my knee is now awsome again!
with all the physio and training you will never know the diference

i would also recomend getting a pod or astricks knee brace for when you come back to riding i was wearing one since m first ride back there a bit anoying at the start but i still use mine to this day (12 months on)

nastylilweed

Likes Dirt
S Sooo progress is being made.

I have steered away from the polished finish. I know I will regret it but I really want to make a statement with this.

The frame will be getting coated a semi gloss mid tone baige, I will be using a lot of ano red and black.

Ano red components will be: stem, bash guard, seat clamp, bb, hubs, pedals
black parts will be: bars, seatpost, seat, brakes and levers, cables etc

There will also be som chrome black decals involved.

The question being.... Do I rock red or black rims? I love crazy coloured rims but will it be too much?

I will be ordering the following from crc in the near future.
- Hope ceramic bearing bb
- Hope direct mount stem
- Hope seat post clamp (quick release)
- Hope alloy bash guard
- fsa headset

I am wanting to use the Spank Stuffy EVO rims. Either red or black as discussed.

Sourced elsewhere
M6 ceramic frame bearing kit
Intense lower box mount bolts x 2

I will be reusing my freshly built black boxxer 2011 wcs with 2012 team internals.

Does anyone have an opinion on the ano red rims or any issues with the list of parts specified?

Last edited:

nastylilweed

Likes Dirt
Awesome idea man. That didn't even cross my mind! Red hubs and spokes with graphics on black rims would look awesome. And it definitely gets rid of the problem of too much red...

That is nearly decision made I think..

nastylilweed

Likes Dirt
So the spending spree begins...

- Spank 777 EVO Bars
- Hope Ceramic Bearing BB
- Hope Lightbash Bashguard
- Hope Direct Mount Stem
- Hope QR Seat Post Clamp
- Hope Head Tube Cap
- IHI SS Frame Bearing Kit
- ODI Ruffian Grips and Clamps
- FSA Headset

Waiting to order these...
- Spank Spike EVO Rims
- INTENSE Box Section Bolts (Replacements)

Frame is off to powdercoat next week. Shit is getting real. Hopefully I will have some awesome progress photos by next weekend...

ALfromTheGym

Likes Bikes
So the spending spree begins...

- Spank 777 EVO Bars
- Hope Ceramic Bearing BB
- Hope Lightbash Bashguard
- Hope Direct Mount Stem
- Hope QR Seat Post Clamp
- Hope Head Tube Cap
- IHI SS Frame Bearing Kit
- ODI Ruffian Grips and Clamps
- FSA Headset

Waiting to order these...
- Spank Spike EVO Rims
- INTENSE Box Section Bolts (Replacements)

Frame is off to powdercoat next week. Shit is getting real. Hopefully I will have some awesome progress photos by next weekend...
Nice shopping list!

cSixx do an awesome Carbon chain guide if you want some extra bling......for down there?

I am running the Hope direct mount tip crown/stem and it's awesome.

nastylilweed

Likes Dirt
Yeah I am looking at running the XO Carbon Cranks... Undecided at this stage, want to do a bit of reading before I get to excited..

I am yet to have a good look at the chain guide that is on it, if it is in decent nick I will probably just continue to rock it, otherwise I will grad one of the E-Thirteen range. I have always used them and never had an issue.. So as narrow as it is I know it will work how i want it to.

Having said that I will have a look into it!

met63

Likes Dirt
saint

Yeah I am looking at running the XO Carbon Cranks... Undecided at this stage, want to do a bit of reading before I get to excited..

I am yet to have a good look at the chain guide that is on it, if it is in decent nick I will probably just continue to rock it, otherwise I will grad one of the E-Thirteen range. I have always used them and never had an issue.. So as narrow as it is I know it will work how i want it to.

Having said that I will have a look into it!
wait for the new saints!!! they are soooo sexy!

the black chrome decals sound rad though.

nastylilweed

Likes Dirt
haha i would wait for the saints except i am a SRAM man through and through. Been converted, they do make some awesome stuff but i like what SRAM are producing at the moment.

and yeah hopefully it will end up pretty awesome. Like I said i usually don't care how shit looks as long as it rides like a dream. But unfortunately I have the time t make a statement with what I am doing so hopefully it turns out alright.

I guess we'll find out in the next week or two haha

ando120

Likes Dirt
Dude, this sounds wicked! I have a Cane Creek DB and i'm waiting to ride it! i got it just before i broke and dislocated my knucklee. gay gay gay!

ando120

Likes Dirt
2012 Specialized TLD Demo 8

In reply to the actually topic/subject itself. I'm also going to be building up my 'Dream Bike' soon, if you'd call it. Reason being i chose the demo because apparently its the best possible bike to run, with its low bb and the way it manoeuvres, i couldn't resist but buy it! I could have gone a Lappierre DH Team, But the demo stood out and it was a limited edition frame... i just couldn't resist!

I was getting ready one morning and my sister (who lives at home at the moment because she just moved back from Mackay) has this huge box in here arms/hands if you'd like and i new instantly from looking at the specialized logo on the front this was a winner. I recently done the most stupid thing i have done in my life and it made me not being able to ride the frame. I punched someone and broke and dislocated my knuckle. At first it seemed like i deserved it, but it was still okay. The doc insisted i came back in 3 weeks and id walk away being okay! So as the days went by, i soon had to go back to the hospital. The day i went back in i saw a sour face by the asian doc. and he explained to me that surgery was the only way. I was devistated! The two things i hate the most in life, 1. Surgery.... 2. Planes. And i was the one about to go under anesthetic.

Off my life story for a moment. I was at first going to swap the Giant frame with the Demo frame on the 10' Glory. But i soon got talked out of this option for a brand Spanka! build. SO the plan is that someone should first of all buy my Giant Glory. This gives me around $2000 at max. maybe $1800. Next i'll work for a little bit and get maybe $800 more. See i've talked to a mate of mine that works in a bike shop and i'm not really good on the BB area of bikes :s . So last night we discussed things and i got myself an X0 Crankset along with a PF30 BB. This is about $500 off the list. It probably seems stupid to buy a crankset and i haven't even sold my glory. But even if i didnt sell it and wanted to trade the parts over, i'd need a pressfit Crankset (the adaptor is total shit!). Anyways, The rest of my build looks like this:

FRAME: 2012 Specialized Demo 8 TLD- Medium.
REAR SHOCK: Cane Creek Double Barrel
FORK: Rockshox Boxxer R2C2 (Team)
HEADSET: The one i got with the frame.
STEM: Truvativ Hollzfella
HANDLEBARS: Renthal Fatbar
GRIPS: ODI
FRONT BRAKE: Avid X0 or Avid Code R
REAR BRAKE: Avid X0 or Avid Code R
BRAKE LEVERS: Avid X0 or Avid Code R
FRONT DERAILLEUR: N/A
REAR DERAILLEUR: Sram X9
SHIFT LEVERS: Sram X0
CASSETTE: Sram of some sort.
CHAIN: KMC maybe?
CRANKSET: Truvativ X0 BB30 165mm
CHAINRINGS: 36t
BOTTOM BRACKET: Sram PF30
PEDALS: Thinking Funn??
RIMS: Nukeproof Wheelset
FRONT HUB: Nukeproof Wheelset
REAR HUB: Nukeproof Wheelset
SPOKES: DT Swiss
FRONT TYRE: Maxxis Minion 2.5
REAR TYRE: Maxxis Minion 2.5
INNER TUBES: Maxxis FR
SADDLE: SDG I-Beam?
SEATPOST: SDG I-Beam?

Alright, so to make things easier i have highlighted the parts that i'm not sure of 'Red'. So the plan of attack is to get all these parts for a deal. I have talked to the mate i know that works at the bike shop and he says i can get all these parts discounted, no dramas. So the Boxxer Teams are going for $900 my way 2011. So this is a start to the bargain hunting! most of the parts are coming from Chain Reaction but the parts like Forks, Wheels and brakes are coming from 'The Guy' because i can actually get these cheaper than Chain Reaction!

So far, so good. To all that are currently reading this (if you still are) my 2010 Giant Glory 01 is for sale. Message me offers because i'm desperate to sell this baby, its in basically new condition. Literally.

So go check it out. I'll keep my status of the build up to date so don't hesitate looking back here every so often, Pictures are coming soon!

nastylilweed

Likes Dirt
Looks like a pretty awesome build man.

I love the Demo 8's as well. Awesome frame.

The XO stuff is awesome. I can't fault it at this stage. I am still unsure about the cranks I will end up running. Bit of research to be done there.

I want a CCDB so badly, but i'll see how the build runs up dollar wise. Seatpost wise, a seatpost is a seatpost and a seat is a seat in my world (seats only get torn up anyways) I'll be rocking a CrankBrothers / Thompson seatpost, but i havnt thought that far ahead at the moment.

Other than that I am currently rocking a set of Straitline Flats (non AMP model) and i love them. They are bombproof and the grip is amazing, they are heavy but hey, it's a DH bike. I'll weight weeny elsewhere if i feel the need. lol

Frame is officially at the powdercoaters as of today. The picture below is the same as I sent to the powdercoaters for reference colour wise. We'll see how good they are at colourmatching lol

48088025.jpg