The Battle for Manning Park

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I've been following it myself for a little bit when I seen it pop up on MTB Guidebook's Facebook page.
Also found the Friends of Manning Park Ridge page and low and behold the same old "MTB is evil" "MTB destroys everything" with no facts to back any claim is rife through the group.
One thing that gets to me is that if they are so concerned about the area, they should be calling for it to be locked off from all entry, including themselves. They seem misguided in their belief that because they are walking there is no impact or disturbance of the local flora and fauna.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Completely heresay observation but we just held identical open public consultations on vegetation clearance assessment reports for both 44km of MTB trail and 44km of walking trail through identically scored vegetation types...

Low and behold, zero comments on the clearance of vegetation for the walk and the usual alarmist rhetoric on the MTB trail.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
I've been following it myself for a little bit when I seen it pop up on MTB Guidebook's Facebook page.
Also found the Friends of Manning Park Ridge page and low and behold the same old "MTB is evil" "MTB destroys everything" with no facts to back any claim is rife through the group.
One thing that gets to me is that if they are so concerned about the area, they should be calling for it to be locked off from all entry, including themselves. They seem misguided in their belief that because they are walking there is no impact or disturbance of the local flora and fauna.
If you want to throw some support, Manning Park Mountain Bikers is the Facebook group. While biased towards MTB, there are some level heads in there and they make a lot of good points, like why only MTBs etc.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
I’ve followed this for a while without really looking closely at the environmental values of the site, however, its hard to imagine they couldn’t accommodate at least something for mtbers in the most degraded sections. That said, it wouldn’t surprise me if the current network of trails is having a negative impact on the area, given the relatively small size of the site. It is fairly packed with trails.

I do wonder about some of the pro-mtb comments being put forward on the various FB pages:

- Sanctioned trails will stop the building of unsanctioned trails. I’m curious what happens elsewhere, however, there is a huge amount of unsanctioned trails in Kalamunda despite there being an extensive sanctioned network there. I imagine it would reduce it, depending on what sort of network they end up with.

- Mtb trails will contribute to the local economy. I get this argument for regional towns where people might stay there and do other touristy things, but can’t imagine a suburban area so close to Perth getting a significant benefit.

Be interested in what others think.

@Rorschach what’s it like to ride? I haven’t been riding there for 20 years, but it was pretty sandy and a long way off the standard of trails in the hills last time I did.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
I’ve followed this for a while without really looking closely at the environmental values of the site, however, its hard to imagine they couldn’t accommodate at least something for mtbers in the most degraded sections. That said, it wouldn’t surprise me if the current network of trails is having a negative impact on the area, given the relatively small size of the site. It is fairly packed with trails.
I think this is half of the issue in that the walkers and enviro guys see a number of riders cutting trails and doing laps all over the place and the perception it gives to those very vocal NIMBY groups, a lot of which I suspect aren't Cockburn rate payers - I am and I am for the idea of well managed trails provided it's done correctly

I do wonder about some of the pro-mtb comments being put forward on the various FB pages:

- Sanctioned trails will stop the building of unsanctioned trails. I’m curious what happens elsewhere, however, there is a huge amount of unsanctioned trails in Kalamunda despite there being an extensive sanctioned network there. I imagine it would reduce it, depending on what sort of network they end up with.
I think a smaller number of well thought out sanctioned trails would really help, but providing a decent amount of riding while still allowing revegetation

- Mtb trails will contribute to the local economy. I get this argument for regional towns where people might stay there and do other touristy things, but can’t imagine a suburban area so close to Perth getting a significant benefit.
Where they are they really won't. A lot of people will go there at night or when they're time poor, so getting any economic benefit is pretty laughable unless there's a kiosk near the trailhead like Swinnies at Kala

@Rorschach what’s it like to ride? I haven’t been riding there for 20 years, but it was pretty sandy and a long way off the standard of trails in the hills last time I did.
Sandy is right. I've only ridden there once but wasn't a fan. Sandy with a lot of rocks, and narrow trails for the most part. I prefer Kala but it's a good option a 10 minute drive from me as opposed to 45 mins to Black Stump