Swag at an MTB event... what's your preference?

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I agree with some of the other replies in regard to charity events and useless swag. I've done a few Great Cycling Challenges and Relay for Life and I always knock back the offer for the jerseys and shirts as I'd never wear the gaudy looking things and I'd rather that money go to the actual charity.
I feel that too many (especially big name charity events) have too much focus on all the marketing bullshit and not enough on the reason for what the funds are being raised for in the first place. There's a whole lot of people making money of these "charity" events.
As a lot have said, I'd be happy with a sticker and my race plate from the day and know that the majority of the funds are going to the cause.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
yeah, no offence, but the people who put most of the entry money into swag, deserve a bit of a savage beating. makes a joke of it being for charity.
They have tried their best but they aren't riders or even event managers. They are just trying to promote the community and the environment it sits in by having the event. Their working theory has always been that the participants might like some 'mementoes' of their ride. It's taken 'some time' to persuade them that this typically isn't the case.

As it is there's quite a bit that goes on around each event that generates charity and community support so no-one misses out. I think the last time it was run, the 150 or so participants and their supporters kicked in well over a grand for the rescue helicopters.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I love stickers , whenever i travel try to get one from ' that town ' - a patch would be an awesome keepsake also !
however as a charity would like " moar monez less stickers "

How about as suggested a
Cold drink - alcohol may be problematic for some - > driving , tired etc
Bag of nuts / berry/ chips - cookies from a local supplier - if possible - not a 5 kg nose bag , but some refill food and a drinks - cross promotion ?

Cooking a burger sausage is a ball ache after and event - thus - ' food truck ' all participants get a voucher - food trucks come to vene / finish line - it regional ask for permission to do at park / main street etc .

After a ride - ( which has been very infrequent ) i like a drink and a snack , then a nap hahaha
There's local community organisations and professional vendors for food and non alcoholic beverages at every event so they get a bit of cut too of having all these hungry people around!

Otherwise, the participants swag bag includes a lolly bag. Plus they are supplied once or twice (depending on the chosen course) with water, fruit and snacks whilst out on the trail.