Swag at an MTB event... what's your preference?

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
As someone who is tagged in my local community as 'one of those flx3dyting cyclists' I have been asked for specific feedback on a long running community cycling event. And given how specific the question is...I'm going to ask Rotorburn as well.

The event is a annual community MTB ride that could be considered a gravel ride but that's neither here nor there. The fundamental thing is that you end up with up to a 150 riders of varying abilities riding somewhere you otherwise probably wouldn't. And the secondary intent is that some locally charity benefits financially from those people.

The organisers in the past have used quite a significant portion of the event entry fee ($30) on providing branded 'swag' for entrants but have come to realise that not many people need another shit water bottle and a nylon bag.

The question asked of me is what would riders like in terms of swag or mementos of an event that runs less of a risk of ending up in landfill. My thought was going with something as simple as event 'race plates' and an acknowledged increase in the charity donation but that's where my imagination ran out...

Anyone else have any preferences or suggestions

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Some recent events have been using Capped Out to make custom top caps. It could be worth looking into the cost of a bulk order with, say, the event name engraved on there?

Stickers? Embroidered patch?

Something....useful... I'd say something like tyre levers for affordability, but it might look a bit cheap.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
if the entry fee is $30, then I would say embroidered patch with velcro backing. People stick those bad boys on fabric headliners of their vehicles, on corkboards on the wall, etc - and they collect and hang on to them. Melburn Roobaix should do this. pretty sure they are currently not.

discofrank

Likes Dirt
here i was thinking swag, sleeping swag!

i kinda like this below

if the entry fee is $30, then I would say embroidered patch with velcro backing. People stick those bad boys on fabric headliners of their vehicles, on corkboards on the wall, etc - and they collect and hang on to them. Melburn Roobaix should do this. pretty sure they are currently not.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
True story. I was just sewing some patches onto my nerd jacket tonight. (Bikes, science, sci fi).
I might regret posting this:
IMG_20221202_223947_111.jpg

@silentbutdeadly, you could do a total underground punk thing and just screen print something onto a piece of fabric ;)

Calvin27

Eats Squid
- Ass savers
- Fork guards
- FD bottle openers (they are quite cheap but postage always kills it for me. Ordering like 100 would be pretty cost effective.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I kept all my race numbers, which each remind me of their events.
Mine always seem to disintegrate into a thousand pieces when you touch them on the wall after a few years.

@silentbutdeadly - At $30 entry I don't expect or want any swag from the hosts. I reckon that kind of offering becomes reasonable at maybe $70 or $80 bucks.

As previously mentioned, the nice gestures befitting the reasonable entry fee would be things like being handed a cold beer (or gatorade) at the finish line or having a photographer on-site who posts all the images on the web (in a searchable by race # way ideally).

slowmick

38-39"
Race plate, mudgard, playing card, sticker. Something that has the year on it so that people can put it on the garage wall, on the tool box,?
I sed to love getting the new sticker at the Melbourne Hot Rod show each year as they were cool pictures.
I used to buy a race shirt every year for a event i did with friends. Some of the designs weren't great so they just went in a draw and then became mowing shirts. T-shirts included in the entry means stuffing around with getting the right sizes and having some left over each year. Not worth it.
As an annual event it is something that people are going to wind up with a lot of them so something simple is best.

silentbutdeadly

Thanks to you all for the feedback. The event in question is also intended to be a fundraiser for a charity and it turns out that, till recently, much of the entry charge hasn't actually been diverted that way. It's just been dropped into entry swag which is rather ridiculous...

I think (thanks to RB) there's a way to provide a better combination of both... without the landfill!

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
If the event is billed as a fundraiser, I would suppose that most entrants would be quite OK with getting minimal "swag", with any proportion of the entry fee above the running of the event going to the nominated charity.

silentbutdeadly

Agreed...I must say I was surprised to find out that this hasn't been the case till now. There are other fundraising opportunities on the day which were for the charity and most of the event costs are already covered. So most of the entry fees to date have gone to quote: "lollies and landfill". I think we can do much better from here on in...

Norco Maniac

Is back!
I'm not one for mementoes but hubs loves his event t-shirts. Possibly because women's fit shirts are never offered? Stickers, bottle openers, beer coolers, lanyards?

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If the entries were for a charity and the money wasn't actually being diverted to the charity, I feel like most people would love the money to go to the cause over swag.

If you have enough time up your sleeve, a bulk order of Tubeless Valves from Ali would be useful and cost bugger all.

Failing that, some feed for participants post-race would be good. Even if it's some snags or burgers on the barbecue, its not a large expense (Provided someone is willing to cook them?)

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I love stickers , whenever i travel try to get one from ' that town ' - a patch would be an awesome keepsake also !
however as a charity would like " moar monez less stickers "

How about as suggested a
Cold drink - alcohol may be problematic for some - > driving , tired etc
Bag of nuts / berry/ chips - cookies from a local supplier - if possible - not a 5 kg nose bag , but some refill food and a drinks - cross promotion ?

Cooking a burger sausage is a ball ache after and event - thus - ' food truck ' all participants get a voucher - food trucks come to vene / finish line - it regional ask for permission to do at park / main street etc .

After a ride - ( which has been very infrequent ) i like a drink and a snack , then a nap hahaha

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Thanks to you all for the feedback. The event in question is also intended to be a fundraiser for a charity and it turns out that, till recently, much of the entry charge hasn't actually been diverted that way. It's just been dropped into entry swag which is rather ridiculous...

I think (thanks to RB) there's a way to provide a better combination of both... without the landfill!
yeah, no offence, but the people who put most of the entry money into swag, deserve a bit of a savage beating. makes a joke of it being for charity.