Suspension oil weight! How much difference?

Traumaboy

Likes Dirt
Hey guys im about to service my domains but when i purchased the fork oil i had a fail and got 15 weight and 10 weight. When i got home i realised i needed 5 weight instead of 10 weight. How much would the extra weight oil affect how soft my suspension is? its not critical i still can return it and swap it for 5 weight oil but thats a last resort.

DownhillerDeano

Doesn't want a custom title!
Not being familair with domains I cant say for sure, but if for arguments sake it is in the rebound leg and you've put heavier oil than meant to, using the same rebound setting, it will be quite slow. Two ways around this. Wind your rebound all the way out if your happy to do so, or get the correct oil.

Just remember just because there is brand name xxx (unsure what rock shox OEM is) of 5wt in there, doesnt mean the brand name you can get at 5wt will be the same either.;)

There has been many threads on this explaining my second paragraph better, just do a quick search

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The oil won;t affect how 'soft' your supension is (your spring - coil or air - determines that).
Oil will affect your fork's damping and lubrication (plus ride height to a small degree if you over or under fill it).
Are you following the guides for the damping oil and the semi-bath lubrication oil (the 2 different weights recommended)?
If so, the 10 weight will probably be fine for both.
I re-did my Rebas with 10 weight in both (not the recommendation) and they're fine.
I'd suggest just doing it and seeing how they feel.
You won't damage anything, but the damping range might be out a little.
On the other hand, if I were you and you haven't opened the oil (and you're not in urgent need) you might as well return it and get the proper weights.
Then there's no question.

Traumaboy

Likes Dirt
I probly wouldn't have thought of returning it if there was only a small amount of that weight in the suspension. But i need 200ml of the 5 weight in the right upper leg, 10ml of 15w in the lower right leg and 15m of 15 weight in the left lower. If i can't return it ill gove it ago and just fidle with the rebound like you guys said.

thanks guys.

Wiffle

Likes Dirt
As already stated, 5wt from one brand can be extremely different to 5wt in another brand so you are only guessing as to how right/wrong it will be. check pvdwiki for more info as understanding oil weights is one of the easiest ways to tune your fork's behaviour.

Dug

Likes Dirt
Ive always found the manufactures standard oil in forks of any type is usually a bit thiin. Motor and Push bikes. If you go a bit harder than rolling down the street go for the thicker (higher Number) oil. the 10 should be ok but unless your a big fat bastard like me or intend entering Rampage 10 I'd say the 15 my be a bit thick. The 7.5 would not make any real noticable difference unless your really serious about bike setup.

Just my $0.02

kidafa

Likes Dirt
The oil won;t affect how 'soft' your supension is
Not quiet correct here.

If its only a oil bath for bushing lube ect no it will not affect how soft your suspension is. HOWEVER if its in a closed damper for example a post '06 boxxer (when MoCo was introduced) if we were to put say 15wt in the top right (damper side) instead of 5wt, the fork will appear to be stiffer as it will have more compression hapening.