Sunringle SRX hubs POE

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
You know how you really want to believe something but your little inner voice says "No fucking way..." Not like Santa or the Tooth fairy. That's completely different...
There's no way this can have 90 POE is there?
3 Pawls. 10 degree engagement.....
https://www.modernbike.com/sun-ringle-src-srx-freehub-body-kit-11-speed-alloy
This the pawl setup...
https://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/sun-ringle-duroc-sd-37-expert-bike-rear-wheel/WH-SG-N29R
And the point of this? I'm chasing a new rear wheel for my Trek Full Stache 8....

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
get th4 cycling deal guy to pull her hub out , take a pic & send it to you, or tell him to change his ad

DMan

get th4 cycling deal guy to pull her hub out , take a pic & send it to you, or tell him to change his ad
I've already talked to them. They admit that they just put up what they get from the supplier so don't actually know.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
From memory from when I last serviced the SRX, each pawl has 2 points of engagement on the newer design (older design pawls failed so they redid the design), technically doubling the engagement points, but not actually reducing the engagement angle. For what it's worth though, I had no issues with the hub and the engagement was pretty good, almost on par with the DT 240 hub w/ 36t ratchet i'm on at the mo in terms of angle/sound.

This is on a Charger Expert 29er rear, which is still going strong on the rear of my loaner bike. Wheel also came with both HG/XD freehubs and different endcap options in the box which was pretty sweet.

Last edited:

DMan

From memory from when I last serviced the SRX, each pawl has 2 points of engagement on the newer design (older design pawls failed so they redid the design), technically doubling the engagement points, but not actually reducing the engagement angle. For what it's worth though, I had no issues with the hub and the engagement was pretty good, almost on par with the DT 240 hub w/ 54t ratchet i'm on at the mo in terms of angle/sound.
Hmmm. The photo I posted up was just that. 3 Pawls, but they were doubles. Does that really double the POE though if the angle doesn't change?? What's the difference between one larger pawl and a split pawl? In saying that, I had a set of Duroc 35s on my last bike and I thought they engaged well. But nothing like my i9 torch used to.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So does this pawl set up double your POE so to speak?
That would be the old style pawls, so no. The new style looks like below, note the step in the pawl meaning it engages two teeth/points in the hub for each pawl instead of just one. Whether or not that's "doubling the engagement" or not... hmm. Depends on individual view/opinion I guess.

Attachments

DMan

That would be the old style pawls, so no. The new style looks like below, note the step in the pawl meaning it engages two teeth/points in the hub for each pawl instead of just one. Whether or not that's "doubling the engagement" or not... hmm. Depends on individual view/opinion I guess.
So would all the hubs on the Duroc wheelsets now have the new pawl setup do you think? I'm interested in the SD37 wheel.
For my 2c I could see it making for a better engagement, but not doubling it..

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Got me curious so I did some digging on this @DMan, lots of conflicting information:
  • Hayes / Sun ringle website PDF datasheet details a 30t drive ring with 3-pawl freehub (doesn't actually state POE though)
  • Description under this YT clip says "SRX Cartridge bearing straight pull hubs with a 3 pawl alloy cassette body and 24 tooth ratchet ring, yielding 72 engagement points"
  • This WC listing mentions dual-tooth hub pawls like @Isaakk confirms, but not the POE / angle
  • This listing for the wheel you want indicating "24 tooth ratchet ring, yielding 72 engagement points", backing up the YT clip

Logic would suggest that the only way you'd get 72 POE from a 3-pawl hub on a 24 tooth ratchet ring is if each of the 3 pawls engaged one at a time ie. they had 5 degree offset such that only one pawl was engaged at a time. The double tooth pawl would then spread the load across 2 drive ring teeth, but it's only one pawl carrying the load. You could then extrapolate that the same approach with a 30 tooth drive ring (as detailed in the SRX hub manual) might give you 90 POE. That's how the math might work, but it would suggest a fairly weak hub design too?

Seems like a bit of a crap shoot - what's their definition of POE and does it align with what most people think it does - good luck!

DMan

Got me curious so I did some digging on this @DMan, lots of conflicting information:
  • Hayes / Sun ringle website PDF datasheet details a 30t drive ring with 3-pawl freehub (doesn't actually state POE though)
  • Description under this YT clip says "SRX Cartridge bearing straight pull hubs with a 3 pawl alloy cassette body and 24 tooth ratchet ring, yielding 72 engagement points"
  • This WC listing mentions dual-tooth hub pawls like @Isaakk confirms, but not the POE / angle
  • This listing for the wheel you want indicating "24 tooth ratchet ring, yielding 72 engagement points", backing up the YT clip
Logic would suggest that the only way you'd get 72 POE from a 3-pawl hub on a 24 tooth ratchet ring is if each of the 3 pawls engaged one at a time ie. they had 5 degree offset such that only one pawl was engaged at a time. The double tooth pawl would then spread the load across 2 drive ring teeth, but it's only one pawl carrying the load. You could then extrapolate that the same approach with a 30 tooth drive ring (as detailed in the SRX hub manual) might give you 90 POE. That's how the math might work, but it would suggest a fairly weak hub design too?

Seems like a bit of a crap shoot - what's their definition of POE and does it align with what most people think it does - good luck!
Thanks @Nambra. That makes a lot of sense. But I do agree it is a crapshoot. The best I could put together from various sources was 10 degree and 3 pawls. Most said 36 POE, But Cyclingdeal somehow came up with 90. I was quite happy with the Duroc 35 wheelset I had but less so with the 40 wheelset I presently use. But it could be the wider rim and nothing to do with the hubs which I'm sure are the same.