Sunrace Cassettes

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
FYI : Black cassettes are in and shipping from cyclingdeal.
Looks schmick. My 11-46 arrived in the mail yesterday. Got it in silver.
I figure black would make the dirt less noticeable and I'd clean it less haha
Let us know how the black holds up over time.

Ideate

Goat link works well up to 42t I've found. I've even used it with a Zee derailleur. Currently using it with an XT and works perfectly.

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Box Components .Two 11 speed 11-46 cassette fitted and ridden in anger.

Dry, dusty and crunchy conditions but held up well. Zero issues in setup, and clean crisp shifts with X01 and KMC X11 chain.

Slightly strange sizing on a Hope hub with Shimano freehub. Requires the 10-speed spacer, and the lock ring doesn't seem to have a lot threads engaged with the freehub. Also fits very loose on the freehub and has a couple of mm rotational movement around the freehub before the lock ring is tightened up. Non-issue once it's done up, just feels like lower tolerances and quality.

Clocks in at almost half a kg, so it's a weighty piece of kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
First ride out today with the 11-46 and XT rear mech.
Was smooth, snappy and dead quiet ... I read here and there that they were noisy but haven't experienced it .. yet?

I had the 11-42 in black, it didn't feel as nice as the XT I had before it, and it was a little noisy in second gear, but it wasn't that bad that I couldn't put up with it. The problem was it only lasted a smidge under 7 months, and I only average about 15km a week, and I always lube my chain and clean it regularly. Needless to say I'm not buying another sunrace product again, ever. And to be honest, I wouldn't recommend one to anybody. In my experience with sunrace I'd say don't even bother, there's a reason they're cheap, stop being a tight arse, and spend a little extra and get an XT, or an SLX.

notime

Likes Dirt
Looks like Sunrace have come to the Eagle party with some 12 speed cassettes. I assume Special Cassette Body means XD driver, well I hope so.

http://www.sunrace.com/files/catalog/files/625/Specifications - Cassettes MTB.pdf Heavy but price will dictate if it's worth the weight or not.

I've got an 11/40 on the CX bike that's done many thousands of k's now and still going strong. Currently have a demo bike with Sram NX shifter and NX rear D with a Sunrace 11/46 and it's crisp.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Looks like Sunrace have come to the Eagle party with some 12 speed cassettes. I assume Special Cassette Body means XD driver, well I hope so.

http://www.sunrace.com/files/catalog/files/625/Specifications - Cassettes MTB.pdf Heavy but price will dictate if it's worth the weight or not.

I've got an 11/40 on the CX bike that's done many thousands of k's now and still going strong. Currently have a demo bike with Sram NX shifter and NX rear D with a Sunrace 11/46 and it's crisp.
And here I thought my 46t ring was big.

By the looks of it, the 10-50 is SRAM and 11-50 is Shimano.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
In my experience with sunrace I'd say don't even bother, there's a reason they're cheap, stop being a tight arse, and spend a little extra and get an XT, or an SLX.
Totally disagree, I've put over 2000km on my 11 - 46 and it's been flawless and silent in all conditions. I'd say it's just as good if not better than the X01 I have on my other bike. Sure it's heavy, but so is the Shimano stuff. If I stopped being a tight arse I'd go directly to Eagle.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
If "and" = "any" and you've left out the question mark then the answer is no. Sunrace 11 speed all runs on standard freehub body.
From that cassette list posted, it looks like the CSMX9 ETY 10-42 11 speed uses XD.
Never come across this one on any online stores though. Might be new?

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Saw these going for about $100 AUD, so I'm tempted. I thought they were going to require a cage extension, but it seems not. I'm hoping I can simply swap out my 11 - 46 (non XD freehub) for an 11 - 50, with the only change being putting on a longer chain. Weight is actually listed as lighter than the 11 - 46 so it's win win.

## edit: add on $45 for shipping and it's not looking like such a great deal...

Last edited:

Nautonier

Eats Squid
From that cassette list posted, it looks like the CSMX9 ETY 10-42 11 speed uses XD.
Never come across this one on any online stores though. Might be new?
Yeah, must be a new thing, there definitely wasn't any XD compatible ones when I got mine or I wouldn't have had to buy a non-XD freehub body.

Last edited:

Specialized29er

Likes Bikes
I'm a fan of there products and am using the 11/36 9 speed cassette, the only real issue is that I couldn't find anywhere in Australia that has them for sale and had to purchase mine from America.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Totally disagree, I've put over 2000km on my 11 - 46 and it's been flawless and silent in all conditions. I'd say it's just as good if not better than the X01 I have on my other bike. Sure it's heavy, but so is the Shimano stuff. If I stopped being a tight arse I'd go directly to Eagle.
I've been planning a cassette change for a little while...but still not sure exactly which range & derailleur combo will be smartest.

Which derailleur do u have with your Sunrace 11-46?

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I've been planning a cassette change for a little while...but still not sure exactly which range & derailleur combo will be smartest.

Which derailleur do u have with your Sunrace 11-46?

I'm using Sram X01 and it's a flawless combo. 32t ring up front.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
I'm a fan of there products and am using the 11/36 9 speed cassette, the only real issue is that I couldn't find anywhere in Australia that has them for sale and had to purchase mine from America.
Cyclingdeal stocks them. If you come across one of those ebay promo codes they have every month or two then use it on their ebay store as its the same price as their online store.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I got my 10 speed 11-42 Cassette from MTB Direct. It was a cheaper option than replacing the Worn out XT Cassette and Extender COG. I think it shifts better than my previous set up and the black looks cool. I don't care much for the weight as it is being run on a steel fat bike.

NeoNasty

Likes Dirt
I know this is an old thread.

I've had two of the 10 speed 42 tooth cassettes.

First one was the all steel one, it would change gears when pedaled backwards. No amount of adjusting would fix that. It wasn't a major issue though. How often do you really do that anyway?
It only lasted about 9 months. 9 Hard, shifting under load, muddy, stick infested, 29er enduro months. I probably should have replaced the chain in that time but didn't realise how badly warn it was in that time.

When I built up the 160mm hardtail I threw a fresh 10 speed 42 tooth cassette and chain on (this time the Aluminium large ring). Its been running perfectly for the last few hundred Kms. Its outlasted my rear deraileur. For the money, I cant complain but if I was doing it again. I'll probably just throw on an 11 speed kit and get a shimano 42T kit.

TL:DR Value for money, but you'll be replacing them before a shimano cassette.

-Shaun