suggestions for cheapie used bike for a old beginner

wornoutwords

Likes Dirt
hey all

yes another one of these what do i buy threads sorry if this is the wrong section or a stupid question

My 7yo and 4yo have gotten keen on cycling and rather than me walking behind them and yelling for them to wait up it would be good to join in (i sold my last bike, a early 90s kmart mtb, 10 years/4 house moves ago)

so i'm looking for something on a budget for me to keep up on the 3-5km rides around the simple tracks in southern adelaide. we'll be doing very little road riding. I used to enjoy going down gravelly tracks but im nearly 40 now with a permanently dislocated collar bone and my last broken bone took4-5mo to heal properly, so wont be doing anything sillier than that

I have 150$ (yes haha inc petrol to pick it up)
my options are a crappy dept store bike (new)
or something used. I'd prefer to reuse an ok old bike than add new hard rubbish
im about 180cm and under 70kg so i wont be putting too much stress on a frame

are there any particular brands/years/models that are particularly unpopular with the kids these days that would give me the best bang for buck or that have stood out as being really good?
bonus points for the plainer/less likely to be stolen ones.
And how old is too old - eg likely to need some work beyond a simple lube and youtubed setup video

Has covid messed with used bike prices too? I was half expecting to be able to find a mid-late 00s bike that might've been around 1k new, but it seems to be the 500-600rrp very entry level models at that 2nd hand price so im a bit concerned about the longevity of the parts

im thinking the fewer complex bits like disc brakes and shocks the better for reliability and longevity, although it seems pretty hard to find a 2000s bike without shocks.

also is there an 'easy' way to tell at first glance if a bike is good value? my noob approach is to look at the model of the rear derailleur and anything that says deore was probably a ok entry level bike in its day and is more likely to still be in ok condition

there was this stumpjumper for 180 but it was outside my budget at a bit older than i wanted (and it was already pending pickup by the time I msged). is this something that would've ticked my boxes?

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I would have thought you're best to look at the cranks as an indication of what level bike it might have been. Much more likely to still have the original cranks than rear mech.

I have found this site to be a good source of info for original bike spec.
Even has my old banger in it.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Hey mate,
Welcome to Rotorburn. You've picked a pretty tough time to pick up a bike for your budget as COVID has blown the second hand market skyward like house prices… everyone thinks they've got something good and they want top dollar for it. That Stumpjumper you posted would've been perfect if there's nothing wrong with it and it's the right size and you could stretch your budget that little bit more. It's not badly priced given the current market. Even for it's age, something of that early MTB style would hold up much better than a new Kmart bike.

I would suggest visiting the Adelaide Bike Kitchen, or local tip shops to try and find a bike. My last commuter was an old 26" Shogun Trailbreaker I picked up for about $60, and I've found bikes at the tip shop before for $20 that just needed a few things to bring them back to life.

Alternatively, if any burners can get something from Albury to Adelaide, I have a couple of old frames you could have that would probably be your size. One just needs a new wheelset, which one could get from the aforementioned bike kitchen and I think most of the other parts are there.

wornoutwords

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the suggestions
heh that site even has the cheapie old bmx I got for my son (giant frantic)

I know there used to be a tip shop in Lonsdale not too far from me but can’t find any info online so it might’ve closed down - I’ll call the council tomorrow

Yeah I figure a oldie would be a goodie

I thought I’d found something ok today - a shogun slick rock lx in my size.
I told the seller I could come by at 7 tonight or tomorrow after work - agreed on tomorrow and got their address
Get a msg at 6:30pm that it’s been sold to someone that could come get it straight away... (But.. I said I could come at 7 and you said tomorrow’s better)

wornoutwords

Likes Dirt
update: I got a bit frustrated/impatient with not getting in in time for some decent bikes and grabbed a bike that hadn’t sold yet a few weeks back

I think I got done by a bike flipper. Oh well. But I guess I’ve learned a bit trying to get it set up and it’s mostly pulling a trailer for now

thanks @Chriso_29er for the suggestion - I thought it was late 90s but checked the cranks - and they’re mid 80s - (fc6207), so a bit of a parts bike

and the forks were seized up! - full story here if interested - https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/96-bomber-z3s-seized-up.429440/

but they were the early z3 spring + rubber ones and the rubber had disintegrated.. but they had oil seals so i semi converted them to a coil+oil and they're kind of working ok and not leaking (i had to put both springs into one stanchion as they were too short with the rubber/foam crap removed)

so if anyone in adel has a cheapie 90s rigid fork I could buy off them, and/or some fork springs that’d fit inside a 30mm stanchion that are around 150mm long so i can keep messing around with the bombers

it's been pretty fun so i've signed up for one of those 1 day escape the goat intro to mtb courses that run near me @ craigburn farm

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
update: I got a bit frustrated/impatient with not getting in in time for some decent bikes and grabbed a bike that hadn’t sold yet a few weeks back

I think I got done by a bike flipper. Oh well. But I guess I’ve learned a bit trying to get it set up and it’s mostly pulling a trailer for now

View attachment 376112

thanks @Chriso_29er for the suggestion - I thought it was late 90s but checked the cranks - and they’re mid 80s - (fc6207), so a bit of a parts bike

and the forks were seized up! - full story here if interested - https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/96-bomber-z3s-seized-up.429440/

but they were the early z3 spring + rubber ones and the rubber had disintegrated.. but they had oil seals so i semi converted them to a coil+oil and they're kind of working ok and not leaking (i had to put both springs into one stanchion as they were too short with the rubber/foam crap removed)

so if anyone in adel has a cheapie 90s rigid fork I could buy off them, and/or some fork springs that’d fit inside a 30mm stanchion that are around 150mm long so i can keep messing around with the bombers

it's been pretty fun so i've signed up for one of those 1 day escape the goat intro to mtb courses that run near me @ craigburn farm
Probably has potential as a nice riding multi purpose bike, looks to be a steel frame? But yeah looks to be late 80's early 90's to me, any newer it wouldn't run canti brakes and would likely have v-brake.