Stromlo

Dowlo

Likes Bikes
Do any clubs do organised rides at Stromlo mid week (day or night rides)?
I'm heading down early Feb and was planning on tagging along on a club ride if any are running.

Dowlo

Likes Bikes
Also wondering if there are shops near to grab lunch or is it best to bring your food.

Dowlo

Likes Bikes
Thanks Dan, looks like Crits is a weekly race event. Sounds like fun.

Thanks Johnny for the heads up with food, I'll be sure to bring my own. I used to go down to Canberra to skate back in the mid 90's but that was always near places to eat so glad I asked.

Last edited:

Luco

Likes Dirt
Local weather in Canberra for 11/1 and 12/1/15

Hi Canberrans,

A couple of mates and I will be heading to Stromlo tomorrow, and I was hoping to get a bit of a weather report. So, will it be ok to ride Stromlo tomorrow? Or will it be a long drive for big disappointment?

Thanks for any help!

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Mate, save the effort it will be unrideable.

It's been raining for days straight here and that place turns in to a mud pit. The bermed corners will be inland oceans, the track at the bottom of the hill will be a massive mud pit and the sandier areas will stick to your drive train and destroy it.

Luco

Likes Dirt
Mate, save the effort it will be unrideable.

It's been raining for days straight here and that place turns in to a mud pit. The bermed corners will be inland oceans, the track at the bottom of the hill will be a massive mud pit and the sandier areas will stick to your drive train and destroy it.
Wow I wasn't expecting that sort of disaster!

Thanks for the reply, probably need to rethink our trip. Damn.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yeah, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but we've had a lot of rain here over recent weeks and it's been raining constantly for two days now.

If it's any consolation I've just had to spend my holidays in doors looking at my bikes, so I know how you feel.

maxpowers

Likes Bikes
Yeah, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but we've had a lot of rain here over recent weeks and it's been raining constantly for two days now.

If it's any consolation I've just had to spend my holidays in doors looking at my bikes, so I know how you feel.
Hi Johnny, I assume Sparrow Hill will be the same?

Dan.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Sorry mate, I haven't spent enough time out there to know how well it handles the wet.

Although given the amount of rain we've had I canceled a ride I had planned there for today. Canberra in general is waterlogged at the moment.

Klips

Likes Dirt
Sparrow was bad yesterday, I hoped it would be dry but it wasn't, and we've had 40mm of rain in the 24 hours since I left. As such, it too will be unrideable.

Worth noting that the main entrance to Kowen appears to be very closed, so you can't ride there either. I can't think of anything in the ACT worth riding after all this rain.

nzdans

Likes Dirt
Worth noting that the main entrance to Kowen appears to be very closed, so you can't ride there either.
Accidentally followed a father & son through the somewhat blocked side entrance to Kowen a couple of weeks ago. Attempted to do our standard loop to find a lot of thinning has been done so some great tracks are currently out of commission. Crossing fingers the tracks are OK for the Duo Classic later in the month..

Dowlo

Likes Bikes
Going by the Bureau of Meteorology, February has the least rain fall of the year.....mind you, its not by much. Fingers crossed it's dry in Feb.

Klips

Likes Dirt
Accidentally followed a father & son through the somewhat blocked side entrance to Kowen a couple of weeks ago. Attempted to do our standard loop to find a lot of thinning has been done so some great tracks are currently out of commission. Crossing fingers the tracks are OK for the Duo Classic later in the month..
If you're talking about the entrance which is next to the main carpark and the entrance to Sparrow (closer to Queanbeyan, which has had the pass through bit in the gate blocked off and about 5 signs saying DO NOT ENTER) then we're talking about the same one. I don't think the entrance for the Mont (at the HQJOC/bungendore end) is in use except during the Mont.

EDIT: looking at the duo classic map, I'd be a bit nervous - it goes right through where the map next to the DO NOT ENTER sign said a lot of trees had been thinned
http://duoclassic.com/race/course-map/

Last edited:

ongwooijin

Likes Bikes
Hello. Jin here. 34 years old bloke and no longer bulletproof. Enjoy trail/AM/DH. Will be travelling from Brisbane to Canberra hunting for some cooler climate. Bring my trail-AM bike along and hoping to find someone to show me around Stromlo. Am looking to ride on the mornings of 31 Jan (Saturday) and 2 Feb 2015 (Monday). In Canberra for work so am only good for 2-3 hour morning sessions.
Hoping to find someone willing to show me around the trails. Please send me a PM if you are willing to show me around.
Thank you.
jin
Berm1.jpg
Wood Berm1.jpg
Jump1.jpg

Last edited:

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hello. Jin here. 34 years old bloke and no longer bulletproof. Enjoy trail/AM/DH. Will be travelling from Brisbane to Canberra hunting for some cooler climate. Bring my trail-AM bike along and hoping to find someone to show me around Stromlo. Am looking to ride on the mornings of 31 Jan (Saturday) and 2 Feb 2015 (Monday). In Canberra for work so am only good for 2-3 hour morning sessions.
Hoping to find someone willing to show me around the trails. Please send me a PM if you are willing to show me around.
Thank you.
jin
View attachment 306057
View attachment 306058
View attachment 306059
You can't go riding in Canberra. You have to vote for our stellar pack of political idols. Shame on you.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I have no idea what he ^^^ is talking about.

If you're willing to come out to Bruce Ridge to ride I might be able to show you around. I'm coming back from injury and I don't think my fitness will be at Stromlo levels by that time.

Hit me up on PM if you want.

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have no idea what he ^^^ is talking about.

If you're willing to come out to Bruce Ridge to ride I might be able to show you around. I'm coming back from injury and I don't think my fitness will be at Stromlo levels by that time.

Hit me up on PM if you want.
Sat 31st is Qld election day! The day we get to pick which jerks treat us with contempt for a few years.