Stromlo

latheboy

Likes Dirt
Hi all,

My Wife and I are going to the ACT this weekend and were thinking of having a peddle at Stromlo.

Neither of us are fit at the moment, had a baby a few months ago so have been busy.

The plan is for 1 of us to go for a ride while the other watches the young bloke then swap.

We'll be on all mountain bikes and don't want to be away for hours.

Question is, what trails should we do?
Also, are there any toilets in the carpark, BBQ's etc?

We ride DH more than XC so won't be up for a full loop of the park, as I said.... Not fit :)

Thanks,

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
Hi all,

My Wife and I are going to the ACT this weekend and were thinking of having a peddle at Stromlo.

Neither of us are fit at the moment, had a baby a few months ago so have been busy.

The plan is for 1 of us to go for a ride while the other watches the young bloke then swap.

We'll be on all mountain bikes and don't want to be away for hours.

Question is, what trails should we do?
Also, are there any toilets in the carpark, BBQ's etc?

We ride DH more than XC so won't be up for a full loop of the park, as I said.... Not fit :)

Thanks,
You guys could just drive to the top and take turns on running down the flowy XC/Am trails. First trip down might be Magpie rock, Skyline, Luge, Old Duffy (5kmish) and the second one could be Western Wedgetail, Pork Barrell, Slick Rock, Double Dissolution and then a bit of a flat ride to Dingo, breakout and back to the car park (Probably 7kmish but thats just a guess). OR you can shuttle the DH course if you are feeling super brave! They all start in a similar location near a large cement water tank.

If you do the climb its about 5kms and not that steep just a good climb but why do it if you don't have to or want too.

Stromlo has a large shaded area, BBQ's, Toilet block with change rooms and showers. Their is a cafe at the top of stromlo accessible by driving up Mt Stromlo the same road you use to shuttle to the top with the bikes.

Enjoy guys and congratulations on the bub.

Last edited:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Agree with all that.

Although if you're feeling a little more brave on the climb side of things trail #2 isn't too difficult. It's lots of switchbacks and traverses. You know you've done it but it's not going to leave you all jelly legged and tooth achy.

Rookie

Likes Dirt
Just do the main trunk trail climb then descend Wedgetail/Skyline/Luge/Old Duffy back to the car park. If you are alittle more comfortable with descents than your wife you could also do the flow track that is much shorter and more all mountain than the ride I just described. Its a very comfortable wait at the main carpark area with a big shaded grandstand and toilets. *Beware* the water bubblers don't seem to be operational at the moment so take some extra water with you.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
That's #2 loop that I Was referring to. Really fun loop, I'm not overly fit but I can manage two laps in a row.

latheboy

Likes Dirt
Shuttling sounds good, thanks guys.

We ride Buller a fair bit, spent a month at Whistler, youies, not to say we're any good but can handle ourselves ok...

"congratulations on the bub" thanks man, best toy we ever got....

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
Shuttling sounds good, thanks guys.

We ride Buller a fair bit, spent a month at Whistler, youies, not to say we're any good but can handle ourselves ok...

"congratulations on the bub" thanks man, best toy we ever got....
You'll be fine then on the XC/AM style tracks actually you'll be like "what is that it?", they are super fun runs but not DH runs by any means. Its only Pork Barrel that has a few drops. I do it on my XC bike alright.

They are great. I've got no idea what to do when our 2nd one comes along in 6 weeks. Probably put on another 5kgs is what I'll do.

If you get lost feel free to PM me.

I agree with others when it comes to shuttling to the top. Riding 'Tall Trees' to the summit is just a short single track climb or there is also a fire trail that goes to the summit. From the summit i recommend riding 'Western Wedgetail' to the first junction, there is 'Rollercoaster' which is a intermidiate trail but last time i rode it it was very second hand (don't think many people ride it). When at the first junction there are plenty of options to ride, just pick one they are all awesome
I recommend going 'Wedgetail, Skyline, Luge to first fire road', then go 'Slant Six, Willo Link, Partyline and follow tracks to car park. This is my favourite loop, if feeling like climbing from car park just go main trunk but if u shuttle up it should only take an hour max 1.5hr.
Have fun though, Stromlo is great

latheboy

Likes Dirt
Right, I've printed off the trail map. Gotta try and memarise the routes you guys have suggested now .. or be a total tourist and carry the Map :)

Thanks everyone..

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
How are the trails after the rain?

Is the drainage any good or are they really muddy and puddly?

latheboy

Likes Dirt
Compared to lysterfield Vic, it was bone dry after the rain :)

Couple of puddles but the ground looks like it drains well.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Dang, I should have gone for a ride today then. Was concerned that it would be a mud pit after last night's rain.

binner

Hath shat hymself
info b lingo

is stromlooo free to shuttle n ride ....is there such a things as gates locked or is that all gone, interested to do a looong weekend down there in the cooler months....

johnny? :thumb:

peanut

Likes Dirt
No longer any gates on the dh track, All lines are open all the time.
The Shuttle road has a boom gate 3/4 of the way up that usually closes at 6 pm(ANU property).
The Stromlo carpark gates close at 9 pm in summer ,6 pm in winter.(usually changes with daylight savings), many people just park outside the gates so not really a problem.

RDH

Likes Dirt
How are the trails after the rain?

Is the drainage any good or are they really muddy and puddly?
I got caught in the rain on a trunk loop once. I was about 3 minutes from the top when the heavens opened up and just p!ssed down. I had no shelter, nowhere to run and nowhere to hide. No choice but to just hit wedgetail, skyline, luge etc. to get back to the car. It sucked uber-bawlz at first but once I was soaking wet, it was actually a lot of fun. Wouldn't choose to do it too often but am not upset that it happened.

OP: Glad you had fun. Sometimes, I wish I could hit Strommers as a first-timer so I could discover all the trails again.

Mossy J Moose

Likes Bikes
So excited to hit Stromlo tomorrow - new bike Anthem X1 29er. Hopefully most of the rain dried up.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk