Street/park/jumps bike help

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Might not be the best place for this but the sub-forum seems dead.....

My 7 year old has started showing an interest in skating, and I’ve realised that I’m far more likely to take him to skate park so he can practice being Tony Hawk if I’ve got something to do rather than just stand around and be judged by 16 year olds. As such I’m thinking that I need a street/park bike that I can just tool around on; but I have no idea what I’m looking for.

Basically I want something that can get me to/from the skate park, and lets me do simple jumps (might as well practice things I’m bad at when I’ve got the time) etc while there. I’m aiming at low cost but is there anything in particular I should look out for or avoid with parts/spec/brand?
Also, how does sizing work for these style bikes, I can’t make any sense of the sizing I see on ebay/gumtree etc. I’m 6ft and ride a large on ‘normal’ bikes.

FoxRidersCo

Sanity is not statistical
Most off the shelf DJ bikes come in either a 'one size fits all' or S/M, M/L sizing. The key thing would be to measure or find out the effective top tube length (centre of seat tube to centre of head tube) of your current bike and use this as a guide. DJ bikes usually start at a 22" effective TT but have a much lower standover and bottom bracket height compared to your average commuter/xc/Am specific rig

If buying a 2nd hand rig that the owner has built from frame up u may get lucky and find a larger size

Or if an off the shelf is too short perhaps throwing a longer reach stem on it might help.

Don't know what your budget is but maybe something like this might fit the bill...

nathanm

Eats Squid

My 7 year old has started showing an interest in skating, and I’ve realised that I’m far more likely to take him to skate park so he can practice being Tony Hawk if I’ve got something to do rather than just stand around and be judged by 16 year olds. As such I’m thinking that I need a street/park bike that I can just tool around on; but I have no idea what I’m looking for.

Basically I want something that can get me to/from the skate park, and lets me do simple jumps (might as well practice things I’m bad at when I’ve got the time) etc while there. I’m aiming at low cost but is there anything in particular I should look out for or avoid with parts/spec/brand?
Also, how does sizing work for these style bikes, I can’t make any sense of the sizing I see on ebay/gumtree etc. I’m 6ft and ride a large on ‘normal’ bikes.
I did this, then my daughter quit skateboarding.

at 6 ft none of the stp/dj style bikes will fit, you just have to put up with kneeing yourself in the chin.

Plenty of these bikes kicking round the interwebz for less than $500 in varying degree's of disrepair plus the odd bargain. I bought a STP, paid $150 sold some parts it came with, bought some better ones and I'm about $50 in credit for the experience but that is a complete rarity.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Take some candy and be judged by 12 of your peers rather than 16 year Olds?

What is your budget and would you consider new? Polygon have some good value new bikes that will probably suit your needs.

Size is...well size just isn't a big lark of DJ + friends bikes. They are emulating the bmx experience. I personally like a low and short bike with plenty of space for me to maneuver around without the frame getting in the walk

sbm

Likes Bikes
A secondhand BMX cruiser race bike might be a good budget option...there's plenty around, and more likely to be set up for a track dad, and had an easier life. If the budget isn't too much of a concern, I'd check out the FIT TwentyTwo complete BMX.

I really reckon small wheels are best for the skatepark. I actually find them less twitchy than an MTB with 26'' wheels or larger, the BMX gives you more time in the transition and so is smoother. Yeah it will feel like a skateboard with handlebars and/or a scooter with pedals, that's the point.

safreek

Don't forget to bring a shiv, you will need it at most parks, or buff up and choke the smartarses

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Take some candy and be judged by 12 of your peers rather than 16 year Olds?

What is your budget and would you consider new? Polygon have some good value new bikes that will probably suit your needs.

Size is...well size just isn't a big lark of DJ + friends bikes. They are emulating the bmx experience. I personally like a low and short bike with plenty of space for me to maneuver around without the frame getting in the walk
I already tried the candy thing when I was driving a vending machine resupply van - the joke didn't go over as well as I hoped....

I'd love to keep it under $500 with a max of around $800

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
If you are in Melbourne, there is an ABD Derelikt (its actually a Flow2) listed on Ebay, has been for months
I was trying to do a deal with him ages ago on just the frame and forks, but he didn't know how to strip down the frame and arrange post so I gave up..he may be getting desperate to move it on which puts you in the bargaining seat :p
have a look, I could always be convinced to do a frame swap on my latest pickup too

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have any luck yet cobbs?, we are all dying to see what you have found..
In negotiations for the ABD Derelikt you posted about on ebay, but it is slow and annoying going. There's also a Kona that looks alright in Rowville, but it means traveling to Rowville...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
What are you planning for the suspension? I feel you may struggle to find parts.

Frame has a nice shape to it. Looks sleek with that glossy finish

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
do you want a set of sliding dropouts to suit this frame, I have a set!
was going to use on this many moons ago, never got around to fitting

Last edited:

FoxRidersCo

Thanks for all those that provided advice and suggestions.
Just picked up this bad boy. Should be lots of fun once I get the suspension sorted (its very soft)
View attachment 359877
If you can, put some 20W motorcross fork oil in the forks...

It works. I had some old dropoffs that were so squidgy but the heavy weight oil sorted them. I also used some in a set of RS Argyle's that I'd cut the spring and slammed to 60mm Travel

EZZA 84

Likes Bikes
If you can, put some 20W motorcross fork oil in the forks...

It works. I had some old dropoffs that were so squidgy but the heavy weight oil sorted them. I also used some in a set of RS Argyle's that I'd cut the spring and slammed to 60mm Travel
What's the standard oil weight for these forks? 20w is quite thick. I'd start with going up by 5W from standard, that should stiffen them up a bit.

FoxRidersCo

The thicker viscosity in turn stiffened the fork, just put in less than you would the manufacturer recommended oil.