Stolen bike found for sale on Gumtree

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Post the ad and see if a local burner will make contact to check serial numbers match. Then think about options.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
You have people here trying to help. Not sure why you haven't given any details.

The longer you leave it, the less likely you'll get it back unfortunately.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Be
You have people here trying to help. Not sure why you haven't given any details.

The longer you leave it, the less likely you'll get it back unfortunately.
Shouldn't have posted here in the first place, it's a police matter. Ring the police closest to the sellers location, not 000 and give them as much info as you can. Unless you're a vague stoner that can't communicate they will help.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Be

Shouldn't have posted here in the first place, it's a police matter. Ring the police closest to the sellers location, not 000 and give them as much info as you can. Unless you're a vague stoner that can't communicate they will help.
Ouch...my tummy muscle is sore from laughing. The police help? I think you are confusing them with another gang.

One time I saw my stolen bike in exactly the same condition it was stolen in...not far from the scene crime and within a purple of months! It was not secured but I thought rather than just take it I would do the right thing. The police station was about 600m away after all...

Despite providing all necessary details including the report number from the day of the theft the "officer" on the desk told me it was not their problem to solve. I would be required to take the matter up as a civil claim...but if I went back and grabbed the bike, I may face charges.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Ouch...my tummy muscle is sore from laughing. The police help? I think you are confusing them with another gang.

One time I saw my stolen bike in exactly the same condition it was stolen in...not far from the scene crime and within a purple of months! It was not secured but I thought rather than just take it I would do the right thing. The police station was about 600m away after all...

Despite providing all necessary details including the report number from the day of the theft the "officer" on the desk told me it was not their problem to solve. I would be required to take the matter up as a civil claim...but if I went back and grabbed the bike, I may face charges.
I bet if you stole a $1 chocolate from the servo you would be arrested in 5 min flat.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea

just out of interest, why would you potentially face charges for taking your own property back?

Minlak

custom titis
just out of interest, why would you potentially face charges for taking your own property back?
Depends on how you obtain the property back - Also if the bike was stolen in a different state the current owner may know nothing about it - Its very possible the current owner may have a receipt proving him to be the owner.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Depends on how you obtain the property back - Also if the bike was stolen in a different state the current owner may know nothing about it - Its very possible the current owner may have a receipt proving him to be the owner.
maybe, but if it was a stolen bike, the current person in possession would have bought it for cash on scumtree or cash on pickup from FB, most likely.

Minlak

custom titis
maybe, but if it was a stolen bike, the current person in possession would have bought it for cash on scumtree or cash on pickup from FB, most likely.
Yeah 100% but they may also be an innocent party that paid a fair price - or maybe even from a Pawn Shop? Buying something second hand isn't illegal - or the mods on here about to go to a Rico trial?

Minlak

custom titis
To clarify something - If I buy a stolen bike and the genuine owner locates the bike and can prove ownership then I will have to surrender the bike and lose any money I have paid. All I am saying is because you may be in possession of stolen goods you may not be aware or even have a reasonable suspicion they were stolen.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Repossessing a bike on your own could end in many (forceful*) ways, it might also be up to yourself to prove it's your bike in the end as well. You have no receipt or the serial number has been removed or tampered with.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
According to the police officer that is for the courts to decide...how would he know the bike wasn't legally acquired? My word against his etc. And yes, the fuckwit had my incident report open while telling me all this shit. And yes, in that incident the cunt who had the bike at the time lived in a bed sitter above the restaurant I was in when it was stolen from outside that restaurant.

And just to confuse things a little more, in a similar situation I was told the bike was no longer my property but that of my insurance company as they had compensated me for the theft. It was up to the insurer to want it back etc.

I'm not an expert on such legal matters, the only legal knowledge I've had (which is in totally different matters) is probably out of date by now as well! So I wasn't going to risk extra hassles.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
In such a matter the stolen item would still be returned to the original owner. The current owner may or may not be entitled to compensation, usually not. It's one of the reasons pawn shops like to avoid stolen goods....lol. that type of scenario was in one of my very basic law subjects at uni.

To clarify something - If I buy a stolen bike and the genuine owner locates the bike and can prove ownership then I will have to surrender the bike and lose any money I have paid. All I am saying is because you may be in possession of stolen goods you may not be aware or even have a reasonable suspicion they were stolen.
Exactly. I'm not in a rush to punch an innocent third party in the nuts to retrieve a bike I have received an insurance pay out on. I have in one situation discussed the parts a fellow had on his bike that were stolen from me with the him, but I made it clear I didn't care. Poor kid was swindled by the arsehole that fenced the parts to him. They were good bits taken off a good frame and put on a shit frame that he snapped suspiciously easy.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yes.

In the long running series of poodle vs the police...I was pulled over one night about 2 blocks from my house. It was winter and I had my old snowboarding helmet on. It had speakers in the ears. Being obnoxious I cranked the old iPod classic volume up when they pulled me over and had the helmet tucked under my arm blasting random music while the cops flexed and carried on. When this song came on (the one time the ghost of Steve Jobs and his "random" music choices has been well timed) they were unimpressed.