Stem measurement

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I've always measured a stem from the center of the steerer to the center of the bar. This is supposed to be a 70mm but to me it's a 65mm. The mark is 70? Am I measuring wrong?

DMan

Face plate may not be in that position with bar installed
That's true. To the center of the bar would 67-68mm. My Raceface comes as a 60mm and measured the same way as I measured this, is 60mm. It's not a deal breaker, just curious if stems are actually measured differently.

The Dude

Wasn't asking to be banned
I thought it was centre of bar to centre of steerer - might be a bit different with a 17degree oldy, but should be close

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Measure centre-to-centre, but along the side of the stem, not the top. The rise (or dip) angle can give false length readings; the greater the angle, the worse the reading.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
please check in at the fuckwits thread
Stems and fuckwits.

Transition chunts changed the spec without changing the website spec when I bought my Spur.

Suppose I could have read the markings on the stem :rolleyes:

Ordered a 77Designz at 45mm thinking it would be 5mm longer as the other option was 35mm and while it would have been ok, I decided on the longer 45mm. Ends up the stem on the bike was actually 50mm, not the originally advertised 40mm.
So the new stem is 5mm shorter... but I cant feel any difference. Though probably would have done at 35mm = being 15mm shorter.

Spec now changed.

DMan

Stems and fuckwits.

Transition chunts changed the spec without changing the website spec when I bought my Spur.

Suppose I could have read the markings on the stem :rolleyes:

Ordered a 77Designz at 45mm thinking it would be 5mm longer as the other option was 35mm and while it would have been ok, I decided on the longer 45mm. Ends up the stem on the bike was actually 50mm, not the originally advertised 40mm.
So the new stem is 5mm shorter... but I cant feel any difference. Though probably would have done at 35mm = being 15mm shorter.

Spec now changed.

View attachment 377915
Yes, (sigh) have done that too. Ordered a new stem for the previous bike in a 50mm as I was SURE the current stem was 40mm. Sadly it was 50mm. I must have changed it at some point earlier...

DMan

Measure centre-to-centre, but along the side of the stem, not the top. The rise (or dip) angle can give false length readings; the greater the angle, the worse the reading.
I can understand that. Like I said, all my stems are the same angle and I've measured the same way. But I'll measure side as as that might just be the difference.