Static shocks

Jpez

Down on the left!
Sounds like your tools are 5G ready and your 3G status doesn't know what to do with the extra capacity, so it is blasting it out like static.

i don't science real good and am working for a large employer, so no easy answer on offer. But if we were getting static from an electric powered tool/device (eg coffee grinder, milk shake maker, vacuum cleaner, drill, and so on) it would get put off duty until it could be tested, repaired/replaced as required, and tagged. I got to report an icecream freezer recently which was apparently very inconvenient to others in my team. I suggest less inconvenient than being electrocuted from a faulty chord.
Difference is static in these hoses is actually a thing. Built up from the dust moving through. I’m just pissy because I’ve never experienced to such a degree and my ridiculously overpriced hose is supposed to be anti static.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Those fuckwits on the Festool group knew nothing! No help at all. It’s like here. They’re like collectors. They buy big stacks of boxes of every Festool imaginable and post photos of their 10ft stacks of pristine systainers but don’t even use them!
How many internet points does the new saw get you though?

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Those fuckwits on the Festool group knew nothing! No help at all. It’s like here. They’re like collectors. They buy big stacks of boxes of every Festool imaginable and post photos of their 10ft stacks of pristine systainers but don’t even use them!

I did actually check it with a brand new cable I have. So that at least rules that the cable out.
When you tested it with the new cable did you run the cable up the sleeve? I suspect the anti bit may come from the earth wire in the lead.
My 100mm extractor has a wire coil up the hose and the extractor has an earthed metal case.

Jpez

Down on the left!
When you tested it with the new cable did you run the cable up the sleeve? I suspect the anti bit may come from the earth wire in the lead.
My 100mm extractor has a wire coil up the hose and the extractor has an earthed metal case.
No I did not! It’s a time consuming prick to pull it all apart and put it back together again so it never occurred to me. I will give that a crack thanks.

Jpez

Down on the left!
No joy unfortunately. Tried the new cable inside the sleeve. Thinking about it they sell the internal hose by itself as ‘anti static’ so much be something in the hose make up I guess.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
It’s an anti static hose. Wouldn’t it already have something like that?
Should be, I was guessing you were using standard hose, you know less than a billion $ a metre stuff.

If it was the outlet then other tools would have the issue, isolating to one tool means either the tool or lead is the problem, I think we can dismiss the million dollar hose. Try them in other outlets just to be sure. Lead could have been stretched by a previous occupant and still look ok outside so a proper check is needed. I had an issue with my belt grinder when I was running it off a power point with a lead. Thought it was the 10A/15A caravan box so I changed the breaker. Nope the outlet was compromised so that got changed and the world started spinning again.

Looks like a standard figure 8 lead? Try running it without the hose and another cable and see if you still get 6G reception.

Be careful.

Scotty675

Cable thief
I can’t explain why it’s doing that. I run mine on both the covered and normal hose and never had this issue. I was going to say try a new cord but you’ve ticked that of the list. You could send me the saw though because then it becomes my problem not yours.

Have you seen the new ts 60?

Jpez

Down on the left!
I can’t explain why it’s doing that. I run mine on both the covered and normal hose and never had this issue. I was going to say try a new cord but you’ve ticked that of the list. You could send me the saw though because then it becomes my problem not yours.

Have you seen the new ts 60?
Yep. It’s on my Wishlist. Big improvement.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Static will buildup when there is no path to ground. Possible ground connection issue on the saw or vacuum hose or both.

Does the saw have a three prong plug? Is the ground connection on the vacuum hose and dust collector good?
Agree with @SummitFever and others. In general all positive electrical charge wants to go to ground, if you get a shock it's because the path of least resistance is through you. In order to work correctly your antistatic gear must provide a lower resistance path to ground which will typically be via the earth pin in the lead. Get an electrician out to check the integrity of the earth connection of the saw, hose and vac.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Also check your workshop ground stake. In dry conditions these can stop conducting and you literally end up with no connection to earth.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Static will buildup when there is no path to ground. Possible ground connection issue on the saw or vacuum hose or both.

Does the saw have a three prong plug? Is the ground connection on the vacuum hose and dust collector good?
3 prong yes. Ground connection on hose and extractor no idea.
I’ll get my sparky to check them out. I’ve got a multi meter so will have a play around according to the vid above and see what I find.

Jpez

Down on the left!
I’m tempted for the depth of cut. As you know the 55 will only cut about 47mm.
Brushless, moar power, smaller casing, bigger depth of cut, smaller kerf blades cutting easier. Besides the price there not much to not like.