AM 4

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Long story short....swapped my Onyx lowers to blue and fitted a Smashpot while I was in there. Swapped bars to carbon Nukeproof for less sweep and swapped stem to a 50mm, both to increase reach slightly.

Longer version....my Onyx forks started creaking, one of the stanchions. Same thing happened with my last Onyx forks, I was hoping they would last longer this time. Got a new CSU under warranty so quickly fitted that and rebuilt the fork using Silkolene oil in the damper (the oil that I thought had potentially added some damping). The fork felt ok but was not as uber plush as it once was (this feeling also got me considering the Smashpot) so I stripped it again for another full service prior to Tassie.

New uppers felt fine in the lowers, not too tight and not too loose...about now I thought I would fit the wheel to see if it made any difference to this smoothness and sure enough as soon as the axle was tightened there was quite an increase in friction. Enough that I reckon that's what I was feeling when riding. Luckily I had a spare set of lowers so I threw them on to compare and with the wheel bolted in the blue combo retained the smoothness so blue stays for the trip!

Smashpot added...see above. I've started with a 50lb spring and moved one of the HBO shims so fingers crossed the setup will be close to spot on first go.

The Nukeproof bars I've cut to 760mm (Detonate bars lol) and where I like my brake levers has meant the position for the standard Wolftooth clamp doesn't fit well so lets see if paying express shipping from Pushys can get me the SRAM matchmaker lever to me before Saturday.....if Vorsprung can get me parts in 4 days I don't think I'm being unreasonable for Pushys to get me something over night across a few suburbs!!

And finally I'm testing a Fast Fenix shock.
View attachment 385511View attachment 385512
Wow you have all the fun toys.

I'm guessing that the new fork is an Ext Era to help alleviate the CSU creaking problem.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Wow you have all the fun toys.

I'm guessing that the new fork is an Ext Era to help alleviate the CSU creaking problem.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk
Already tried the ERA on another build. Nice fork for sure but the one I purchased had bushing issues and had to be returned. I believe that issue is well sorted now though.

The new fork is air and something I haven't tried ;)

fastrider gus

super huck
If you have a particular small batch German fork on the way, the post method he uses is a bit frustrating for such a high end product. Mine seemingly vanished completely and then just arrived without warning after I was told it couldn't be located.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

kten

If you have a particular small batch German fork on the way, the post method he uses is a bit frustrating for such a high end product. Mine seemingly vanished completely and then just arrived without warning after I was told it couldn't be located.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
Yes I am. 3 more days before I/he can poke DHL with a large virtual stick.

kten

I but it pained running those DUBS on this dream machine :D
My last pair of Descendant cranks seized on the bike and had to be forced off in a very violent manner so that's my only experience with them. Maybe the person that fitted them didn't put enough grease on them but I've seen a few that refused to come off without much swearing and the use of big tools. The higher end cranks don't seem to have this issue so maybe a SRAM conspiracy.

The pair that I had fitted in Tassie started giving me the same sort of grief when I tried to remove them this morning so the purchase of the 5Dev was justified in that moment. Not sure if the shop mechanic lathered them in grease when he fitted them but it took a very long breaker bar and several attempts to get them to loosen. My compressor and rattle gun couldn't crack them!

Jpez

Down on the left!
My last pair of Descendant cranks seized on the bike and had to be forced off in a very violent manner so that's my only experience with them. Maybe the person that fitted them didn't put enough grease on them but I've seen a few that refused to come off without much swearing and the use of big tools. The higher end cranks don't seem to have this issue so maybe a SRAM conspiracy.

The pair that I had fitted in Tassie started giving me the same sort of grief when I tried to remove them this morning so the purchase of the 5Dev was justified in that moment. Not sure if the shop mechanic lathered them in grease when he fitted them but it took a very long breaker bar and several attempts to get them to loosen. My compressor and rattle gun couldn't crack them!
Blah blah blah. TLDR.
All you needed to say is ‘I wanted them because they are pretty”.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Goddamn you're going all in on boutique! :oops:
Pffft. I will only consider him all in on boutique when I see a set of Pi Rope wheels. Oh and maybe some Trickstuff brakes. Only then has he reached the lofty heights of fully boutiqued!