AM 4

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Another ride…another crash. Broke the AXS shifter clamp by hitting it with my knee this time…damn unlucky.

Jury is out on the Michelin front tyre. Feels soft enough to the touch but isn’t gripping on certain terrain. Roots are like fucking ice. Wishing for the DH22 compound. I had the same dramas with the previous generation Wild Enduro tyres…some love em, me not so much.

Anyone looking for some tyres?

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Another ride…another crash. Broke the AXS shifter clamp by hitting it with my knee this time…damn unlucky.

Jury is out on the Michelin front tyre. Feels soft enough to the touch but isn’t gripping on certain terrain. Roots are like fucking ice. Wishing for the DH22 compound. I had the same dramas with the previous generation Wild Enduro tyres…some love em, me not so much.

Best you just send me the complete bike. I'm only concerned for your well-being.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea

have you got the gum-x or magi compound versions of the Michelins?

Jpez

Down on the left!
Little update as I've changed a few more things. Ohlins TTX coil felt ok but overdamped so I've been playing around with the TTX air and again this air shock never fails to impress (my other bike takes the same size shock which is why I have multiple options to try which is somewhat of a bonus). Found I can run the air shock with no volume spacers and even with relatively low pressure and deep sag (23mm or 35% shock sag) the kinematics are progressive enough to still give decent support. If I didn't have any other shock to try I would be happy sticking with this shock....but yeah..

Cane Creek Kitsuma coil shock gives a huge range of adjustment so I figured I could back off the damping and get a really active, controlled 140mm travel with this one. Using the Ohlins 388lb spring I get less sag (about 16/17mm or 25/26% shock sag) and after a decent ride today settled on almost minimum HSC with just a touch of LSC for added support off the top. HSR and LSR dialed in just enough to keep the back end under control and it feels tight. A good tight. Feels more controlled over chatter and rock gardens than my 170mm travel bike...yes there is still feddback but it's a pitter patter of an active, controlled rear end..doesn't stall on square edges. Most of the unwanted feedback from the back end is coming from the chain/derailleur...I guess having slightly less squish, the forces have gotta go somewhere. I've ordered a 350lb spring to test.

The Michelin front tyre has taken a little to work out. I've come to the conclusion that it is a great tyre but only under certain conditions. It needs heat and/or rider input/pressure to work. If you are on it and committed the tyre hangs on in the corners really well and provides decent feedback. If you relax or don't give it your full attention it gets equally distracted and forgets to grip. Wet roots are also not this tyres friend. Like fucking ice is the best description I can give. Zero warning it's about to let go in this scenario..zero. Obviously when it's wet the temperature is normally lower, that's another consideration for this tyre....the rubber likes heat. This is supposed to be the same rubber as the DH22, my favourite front tyre....maybe the extra weight of the ebike is keeping the temp up more. Ten years ago I would run this tyre all the time....but now I'm not 'on it' all the time so I need something that stays focused even when I don't so it will get changed. The rear AM tyre with cushcore seems fine btw no complaints.

Ergon saddle had to go. Replaced with the Specialized one off my other bike and balance has been restored. Say what you want about Specialized but they can make a comfy saddle...I've ordered another one.

With the Onyx I did a damper bleed using Silkolene Pro RSF 2.5W as going by the viscosity charts this compares well to Motorex 2.5W (what I normally use but couldn't find any on the day). The fork now feels very overdamped. Normally I run with about 3 full turns of HSC from open but I've had to open that up completely and even the rebound I had to open up another two clicks. Doesn't feel bad, just like a little treacle has been added lol. Motorex has been ordered.

Sam Hill pedal shat itself today.....Deity T-Mac pedal last week....

Hopefully the next lot of changes will be the last for a while as I'd like some consistency on the bike to get more of a feel and get more comfortable for the upcoming race.
View attachment 385035
I’m still disappointed you didn’t get an Actofive but that is the best looking bike I’ve seen in a long time! Even with the @wkkie green fork lowers!

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Ergon saddle had to go. Replaced with the Specialized one off my other bike and balance has been restored. Say what you want about Specialized but they can make a comfy saddle...I've ordered another one.
I really rate the Spesh saddles. Have a Power Arc on my roadie and the Phenom I used to have on that is now on my Prime.
Helps they make wide ones for my arse

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
I really rate the Spesh saddles. Have a Power Arc on my roadie and the Phenom I used to have on that is now on my Prime.
Helps they make wide ones for my arse
Yeah when I swapped the Ergon to the Phenom Comp with Mimic the difference was substantial. I think initially they marketed the Mimic as female specific (they may still do) but all I know is it's damn comfortable. I stumbled upon it by luck as that was all they had in store when they warrantied my OEM saddle on the Kenevo for creaking.

I gave the Ergon 3 rides and each of them was torture. I thought I would get used to it but it nearly broke me and the thought of doing the TransTas with it on brought tears to my eyes.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Yeah when I swapped the Ergon to the Phenom Comp with Mimic the difference was substantial. I think initially they marketed the Mimic as female specific (they may still do) but all I know is it's damn comfortable. I stumbled upon it by luck as that was all they had in store when they warrantied my OEM saddle on the Kenevo for creaking.

I gave the Ergon 3 rides and each of them was torture. I thought I would get used to it but it nearly broke me and the thought of doing the TransTas with it on brought tears to my eyes.
I've use a standard Phenom Comp I had on my roadie that I only swapped for a Power Arc cos the Phenom was a bit flat and I was sliding off it a bit, but that doesn't matter as much off-road
I've heard a few comments about the Mimic being pretty decent for blokes despite it being originally designed for the ladies
I originally got a Spesh saddle as the cheap Giant one originally on my old roadie was waaay too narrow and was stopping me riding it so got measured and a new saddle. If I ever swap it, it'll be for another Power Arc